Looking for an alternative to True

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Looking for an alternative to True

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Should have mentioned earlier but (if you didn't already figure this out) make sure you go to the beIN Sports Connect Thailand website, there are other versions for other geographical areas - they're apparently more expensive and I don't think they'd work here anyway.

https://connect-th.beinsports.com/en/subscribe
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that's the baby I'm subscribing to. Pay at Tesco tomorrow - for some strange reason, Family Mart wouldn't take my money this evening.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

First the good news - beIN SPORTS CONNECT is brilliant. For Premier League, it leaves everybody but True in the shadows. However, the quality is just as good as True, plus it gives a 7 day catchup - well pleased.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Now the sad news. True are demanding more money. We paid them to uninstall everything, and it was a crap job at that. Now, for the first time ever we've received an itemised bill for everything we've used in the last month. All boxes were collected on 8th Feb :?
These guys are unbelievable - really glad to be shot of them. Mrs BB will have to deal with the bill - I couldn't trust myself.

Points 41; Position 18
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

beIN Sports seems to be just soccer, but plenty of from all over the world but no other sports?

I read that the Premier League have just completed the sale of future TV matches. It will be interesting to see if beIN Sports get the coverage for their current area/region next season - or will True get it back or somebody else.

I get beIN Sports on HD Prime so will stay as quality is good, because I need it for all the other channels.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've had a good look around, and whilst football is all that I need, I see there is golf and tennis at least in addition.

I am subscribing monthly, so won't lose anything if the rights move elsewhere. I would imagine, any newcomer with the rights won't want to lose a money spinner, and will offer something similar.

I've just been talking to a friend about HD Prime again, and he's definitely still being frustrated by buffering on live sport. He can't seem to grasp that this 199 Baht service, being legitimate has the right servers in the right places and will be superior. Don't get me wrong, the True quality was brilliant - I never questioned their product. This quality, so far, is just as good and there's a 7 day catch up. My son has just seen Manure beat the Bin Dippers again :D .

I've offered my friend the use of my username and password (I'll only use it Saturday/Sunday evenings) to trial/compare. I'll report back on how the comparison goes. Be honest, 199 Baht/month is loose change. Very little to lose, but everything to gain.

I can't thank GroveHillWanderer enough - I wish I knew of this 6 years ago. This is exactly what I was asking for in the OP.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Don't understand why your friend is still having problems with HDPrime. Is he using the right server? Europe A seems to be the most stable for 'out of Thailand' streams.
So far (fingers crossed), I've found it to be excellent since they revamped it.
I have a friend in Kao Thao and he's had the same improvement as I have.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My friend at Wijitra is also having problems, using Teatime in preference.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's really strange. The four friends I have are saying quite the opposite and a 5th is about to go back on it based on people he knows!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Believe it or not, you'd almost persuaded me to give it another go, just for the footy. However, GroveHillWanderer gave me exactly what I needed at half the price. I already have 3 AIS Platinum packages, and when I add beIN Sport, it's costing me 700 Baht for a lot more TV than I could hope to watch. Most of my personal TV pleasure comes from Teatime, which is free. Even if HD Prime was working perfectly, I'm still saving 500 Baht/month (for 3 rooms). That saving will reduce to 200 Baht/month when the introductory period ends.

It's been a long time getting sorted since the demise of Expat TV, and the main thing is, I'm happy. What I now have is 100% legal, works in 3 seperate rooms, and a hell of a lot better/cheaper than Expat TV.

HD Prime was driving me bonkers, so I quit. However, I'm very happy that the solution is perfect for some of you.

[Edit] If HD Prime starts playing up again, and if AIS provide coverage in your area (I know coverage is limited), I would seriously recommend you look at what AIS offer - I didn't believe how cheap they were, but it seems there are no hidden catches, and the service/product is excellent.

Points 41; Position 18
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

With HD Prime the main problem with servers and freezing I have experienced over the last 12 months has been with the SKY channels Sport and news - so will give the EuropeA server a good test from today
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Now the sad news. True are demanding more money. We paid them to uninstall everything, and it was a crap job at that. Now, for the first time ever we've received an itemised bill for everything we've used in the last month. All boxes were collected on 8th Feb :?
I'm just briefing Mrs BB to go into battle with True, and I'm wondering if I'm doing them an injustice.

The itemised bill has a series of numbers, some with minus symbols at the start - of course, the writing is in Thai. The final figure is a hefty minus figure, which I think is the little windfall I was expecting. The assistant with whom I confirmed that I was being overcharged, insisted the computer said X, so I had to pay X. This was confirmed by her supervisor, and also confirmed by a really abrupt guy at head office on the telephone. I was an AIS customer 12 hours later.

Maybe in closing the account, the computer has calculated the truth.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 am
Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
I'm just briefing Mrs BB to go into battle with True, and I'm wondering if I'm doing them an injustice.

The itemised bill has a series of numbers, some with minus symbols at the start - of course, the writing is in Thai. The final figure is a hefty minus figure, which I think is the little windfall I was expecting. The assistant with whom I confirmed that I was being overcharged, insisted the computer said X, so I had to pay X. This was confirmed by her supervisor, and also confirmed by a really abrupt guy at head office on the telephone. I was an AIS customer 12 hours later.

Maybe in closing the account, the computer has calculated the truth.
The only problem might be how do you get a minus figure back from True - they might give you a credit against future use :naughty:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At the very minimum, the credit of getting shot of them is enough.

[Edit] BTW, I've convinced myself that even if it is a credit, the lovely assistants in the shop will not acknowledge it as such.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Unbelievable - their computers have crashed. Nobody available to discuss until tomorrow.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess we'll have to declare it a draw.

Mrs BB went into battle this morning, complete with boxing gloves and body armour :D

Her opening gambit was a non-starter - they insisted that the minus figure did not represent an over-payment. The bill, and more importantly 'the computer' said we had to pay. Mrs BB said she didn't.

Fortunately, she was talking to one of the more intelligent assistants. It was explained (with receipts shown) that we had cleared the outstanding bill, despite it including services I wasn't subscribed to. I'd paid their ransom to have everything uninstalled, even though my dog could have uninstalled better. We had receipts for the equipment they'd collected etc. Everything checked out, and the bill was cleared. We should receive confirmation in the post - we've already had a blue moon :twisted:

She asked if they'd be back to complete the uninstall, and was told maybe. I'll give it until April, and complete the uninstall myself.

Hopefully, I've at last escaped their clutches :dance:

Points 41; Position 18