Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Takiap »

Cheers mate, good to know about the temperature. Will reduce even further next time and see how it goes.

It's just great having a new little toy. :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:Cheers mate, good to know about the temperature. Will reduce even further next time and see how it goes.

It's just great having a new little toy. :laugh:
I had intended buying one a long time ago but for whatever reason never did, but I put that right today and bought one of the 999 baht models at Makro, together with a bag of chicken thighs and they were cooked to perfection after 35-40 minutes. Looking forward to trying more things including a cake!!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Ha ha ha, chicken thighs were a first for me as well, followed by biscuits and then a cake. A mate of mine has just used his for baking some steak and onion pies, along with some bread roll, so plenty of new things to try.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I like to use M/wave as much as i can, as it does not heat up the house. As apposed to frying or using the oven, does the induction cooking method have lower heat output into the house too
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes but obviously the pot/pan and contents give off heat even though the cooker itself does not. I use mine all the time and so far have no complaints.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Takiap wrote:Yes but obviously the pot/pan and contents give off heat even though the cooker itself does not. I use mine all the time and so far have no complaints.
What is this 'oven' called as I went into Makro yesterday, looked around at the front near entrance and did not see this 'turbo' oven so I guess I looked in the wrong place.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PET wrote:
Takiap wrote:Yes but obviously the pot/pan and contents give off heat even though the cooker itself does not. I use mine all the time and so far have no complaints.
What is this 'oven' called as I went into Makro yesterday, looked around at the front near entrance and did not see this 'turbo' oven so I guess I looked in the wrong place.
It's called a Turbo Oven and they are where the main electrical food items are, so if you go straight ahead after entering the door and the third or fourth aisle on the left - they have 3-4 different models ranging from 990 to about 1500 baht.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Dannie Boy wrote:
PET wrote:
It's called a Turbo Oven and they are where the main electrical food items are, so if you go straight ahead after entering the door and the third or fourth aisle on the left - they have 3-4 different models ranging from 990 to about 1500 baht.
Many thanks
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PET wrote:
Look here: http://products.mercola.com/turbo-oven/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anyone have any tips about cooking Oxtail Stew? There are many recipes on the internet, but all that I have seen call for red wine, and as I do not drink I am reluctant to fork out 800 or 900 Baht just to use in something that may, or may not work.

I tried some in a slow cooker using chicken broth and a splash of red wine vinegar, but it was not all that sucessful. It was edible, although my Granddaughter spat it out! It also turned a very dark colour, and I seem to recall my dear old Mother cooking it without that happening, or using red wine.

At 420 Baht / Kg for the oxtail, it needs to be better than that.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Old thread about oxtail soup, will that be of any help?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18323&hilit=oxtail
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Old thread about oxtail soup, will that be of any help?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18323&hilit=oxtail
Thanks very much. I did look, but failed to find it. :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Wine does leave a distinct taste. Instead of chicken broth, perhaps beef broth? It's a bit "meatier" than chicken broth, like red wine compared to white.

Don't know if they have in Thailand, or the price, but here in the states they have small bottles of cooking wine, a lot smaller than a liter bottle. Chefs recommend you use a wine you would drink, but in this case, if available, may be good.

Good luck, let us know results!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Nereus wrote:
Thanks very much. I did look, but failed to find it.
Failed to find the thread? I tried it again and just pressing the link to me there.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

The best one I follow is on jamie oliver.com
It is best to add tomato puree and cook rashly slowly. If you do not want to use wine you could try a can of stout beer or guiness....possibly 2 glasses of sherry might work. As an alternative, you could add dumplings at the end.