Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Nereus »

^^, Ok, thanks. A whole tail is too much, although I suppose that I could feeze some of it. BigC in Bangkok have it in .5 Kg packs, but as they have only just recently started stocking it, they may not continue if it dosen`t sell.

As for Makro I am only in Hua Hin about once every 3 months. I usually buy frozen packs of NZ mince lamb from there. As it is in 1 Kg packs I have never had a problem at the check out with it. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Okay, I have never been a great lover of rice cooked in rice cookers, mostly because of the way it all sticks together. Growing up as a kid, rice back home was always sort of fluffy and loose. Also, I like to get rid of some of the starch.

However, there seems to be another good reason to put away your rice cooker......

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33638321

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Made a batch of pickles today. Have to wait a few days to try them. I used this recipe here.
http://commonsensehome.com/easiest-ever ... l-pickles/

I cut back on the amount of sugar and added a bunch of cloves of garlic, some chillies and threw in some asparagus (which is awesome pickled).

I have made pickles here a few times and have pickled many veggies. I have had success most times but the last time I did it I had a white growth of something on top of all the jars so had to throw everything out. Hopefully it works this time!
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Haven't tried it yet but this seems like an interesting way to cook a steak...

"How to Sous Vide a Perfect Steak Without Buying Any Special Equipment"

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-sous- ... 34291.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks for sharing your pickling thread Arlo, it inspired me to try doing some beetroot, which if I might add, turned out to be better than that which you typically buy in the stores.

HHF, thanks I'll be trying the steak idea. In SA you can buy oven proof bags that come complete with all the necessary seasoning for various recipes, and then you just place your meat in the bag along with all the ingredients, and cook in the oven. The meat always tends to come out nice and juicy, and perfectly cooked. The "Cook in a bag" packs are made by Knorr but I have not seen them here before.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Here anothe one for make sous vide in a cooler haven't tried it yet but looks good, and I think that maybe it's easier to control the tempature.

:cheers: :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

HHF, thanks I'll be trying the steak idea. In SA you can buy oven proof bags that come complete with all the necessary seasoning for various recipes, and then you just place your meat in the bag along with all the ingredients, and cook in the oven. The meat always tends to come out nice and juicy, and perfectly cooked. The "Cook in a bag" packs are made by Knorr but I have not seen them here before.
I was thinking that you should not try it with those cheap local plastic bags. I think they might melt in boiling water. Probably better to get some good imported ones that are recommended for high heat; maybe at Villa Market.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I found this link by chance. Not sure if this is the right place to post it, or even if it will be of any use to anyone on here.

[Mod Edit] Link removed as it is in direct competition with one of our sponsors.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:I found this link by chance. Not sure if this is the right place to post it, or even if it will be of any use to anyone on here.

[Mod Edit] Link removed as it is in direct competition with one of our sponsors.

We'll never know!!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Takiap wrote:I found this link by chance. Not sure if this is the right place to post it, or even if it will be of any use to anyone on here.

We'll never know!!
Exactly! The post might have been removed so we don't have to be so curious which establishment the gentleman was referring to[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Okay, I'm not questioning the moderators but I can't really see how the link could possibly have an impact on the sponsor concerned. Every restaurant that gets mentioned on the site is in direct competition with restaurants who are sponsors of the site.

Anyway, I posted the link with no ill intentions, thinking that maybe some of the richer members would like to know where they can get that silly overpriced Japanese beef. Oh, and some good old South African boerewors as well.

If anyone knows where I can get some boerewors in or around Hua-Hin, please let me know. :D

huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Takiap wrote:Okay, I'm not questioning the moderators but I can't really see how the link could possibly have an impact on the sponsor concerned. Every restaurant that gets mentioned on the site is in direct competition with restaurants who are sponsors of the site.

Anyway, I posted the link with no ill intentions, thinking that maybe some of the richer members would like to know where they can get that silly overpriced Japanese beef. Oh, and some good old South African boerewors as well.

If anyone knows where I can get some boerewors in or around Hua-Hin, please let me know. :D

And biltong!!! From springbook. Image Image Image
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

curius what boerewors is

:cheers: :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

It's traditional South African sausage. You'd LOVE it. :thumb: :thumb:
Grim Reaper
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Grim Reaper »

sandman67 wrote:how about a section where amateur chefs and foodies could post some tasty local recipes......

Im getting sick of a steady diet of instant ramen noodles and ham and egg sarnies, and Mrs S, whilst an excellent cook, is a crappy teacher.

This thread is about providing recipes. It is not about 3rd party delivery agencies or nice sausages.

:offtopic:
You reap what you sow