Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Siani »

Dannie Boy wrote:
I'm not sure that they do normally use onion rings when making onion Bhaji's, just sliced onions made into flattish balls mixed with the flour and spices.
I did not use whole onion rings. What I did was to cut a large white onion in half. Each half I sliced medium fine lengthways. I did not do them too thick as the bhajis do not need a lot of cooking. That is why I flattened them a bit in the pan. It's a little strange at first as you think they are all going to fall apart....they don't if you leave one side to "catch" before turning over. The tip is to peep underneath with a spatula. When they look golden on one side, gently turn them over.
I found this youtube video which is more or less similar to mine. I did not use so much oil to fry them and only put in 3 at a time, easier to manage. Next time I am going to put extra ingredients in mine to make them a bit more spicy.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai And Fusion Food

Post by Takiap »

Siani wrote:
kendo wrote:Hi Siani

I have merged this so we can get creative together. :thumb:

We have some very interesting pancakes recipes tried and loved, and a few concepts to road test.

We also have more idea's in the mix.

Kendo. :cheers: :munch: :cheers:
I wasn't sure if it would be ok in this section K..they are Indian is that ok? Going to try your Palini's Spicy Pork And Coconut Burgers the weekend :cheers:

Okay, I give up. :oops: I have gone through all 14 pages of this thread, and I cannot find any recipe for the burgers mentioned above. Wouldn't mind trying them myself.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Just an addition to the burger recipe, or any burger

We all love onions so when I make burgers (not on a grill) I'll shave a bunch of onions (I use a mandolin).

On the pan I'll melt some butter, add a handful of onions (about the size of the burger) then the burger, lightly pressed down. Let it sit (patience grasshopper, have another beer) until the onion is cooked down and carmelized, and the burger is done on that side.

Flip the whole mess (onions now on top for visually challenged) and finish cooking.

The onion taste cooks into the burger, enjoy
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

On a somewhat different note............do any of you fine ladies and/or gentlemen have experience with an induction cooker, and if so, what is your opinion?

Also, does anyone know where I might find a heavy duty cast iron pot, as in the sort which can be used over an open fire?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Takiap wrote: do any of you fine ladies and/or gentlemen have experience with an induction cooker...?

Also, does anyone know where I might find a heavy duty cast iron pot, as in the sort which can be used over an open fire?
Keeping your options open, Takiap? :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Takiap wrote: do any of you fine ladies and/or gentlemen have experience with an induction cooker...?

Keeping your options open, Takiap? :laugh: :cheers:

:lach:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Used one for a while a few years back

Pros
easy to clean

Cons
slower to heat up
some uneven heating

Also one time I was cooking for myself, and had already had a few scotch liquid appetizers. I cooked, and ate. Went over by the stove to put things away, set my hand on the stove and soon noticed a funny smell, my hand cooking.
Couldn't tell the burner was still on!

Perhaps they have made more improvements since then
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Cast iron frying pan. Tr u value hardware in K Village Soi26 Sukhumvit inBKK. Only store that stocks them. Imported from USA, Lodge brand, the best. There is a guy who sells them on line too.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

I seen a cast iron pan not a pot in villa market about 6 months back. It had no price on it so I can't tell you that. It was located towards the back in the area where they have the cooking utensils.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks for the replies people, I'll check out the places mentioned.

Migrant, the one I have just bought heats a pot/pan quicker than any conventional stove ever could, almost instantly.

Not sure how you managed to cook your hand unless the ceramic top was still hot from the heat transferred from the pot. I can turn mine up to max, and unless there's a pot sitting on it, the surface remains as cool as any other surface in the kitchen, even .

Anyway, a few meals cooked on it so far, and so far I have no complaints. :thumb:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Do any of you budding chefs out there have a good recipe for hot sauce? I have a surplus of kickass chilies here ...
DSC_1930.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Takiap wrote:

Migrant, the one I have just bought heats a pot/pan quicker than any conventional stove ever could, almost instantly.

Not sure how you managed to cook your hand unless the ceramic top was still hot from the heat transferred from the pot. I can turn mine up to max, and unless there's a pot sitting on it, the surface remains as cool as any other surface in the kitchen, even .

Anyway, a few meals cooked on it so far, and so far I have no complaints. :thumb:
It was a while back so perhaps technology has progressed. Be interested in how you like it down the line :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote:Do any of you budding chefs out there have a good recipe for hot sauce? I have a surplus of kickass chilies here ...
Bugger it ... made my own ...
hotsauce.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You can always dry them Buks and then cook/grind them into chili flakes or powder. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source