The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Nereus
Addict
Addict

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Nereus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Err, please do not p** in the pool:
Schloss Starkenberger opens world’s first beer swimming pool in Austria

https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat/sch ... b88583760z

The first-ever beer swimming pools has been launched in Austria.

The Schloss Starkenberger brewery in Tarrentz have put together seven 13 foot pools filled with their trademark brew, but taking a dip in the boozy beverage comes at a steep price of £200 per two hours.

However, believe it or not, the benefits of beer soaking into your skin include having softer skin and can even help cure skin conditions.
Those needing to chill out and relax will be pleased to hear that the hops also work as a calming agent.

The only setback could be the fact that the beer pool is not cleaned after each person takes their dip.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 am

I was cynical, feeling that the craft-beer movement would pass by Thai due to the 2 great monopolies, but there seems to be a breakthrough. But if it is available the Thai-owned bars will almost certainly be slow to stock any of it

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:52 pm

If you go to Korat, Thai craft beers are on sale here. Yes I know it's a fair journey, but some will head that way from time to time for family commitments. It's just around the corner from Yamo.

https://www.facebook.com/tigeriscomingbeerandeatery89/
Talk is cheap

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:53 pm

The following is along article about craft beers. Looks like China would be a good place to make some:

https://insider.thewest.com.au/august-2 ... mall-beer/

There was a time when many drinkers thought craft beer did not taste like a proper brew. One local microbrewer remembers suggestions that he had quite some gall to charge people to drink it.

That was at the turn of the century, but in the evolution of craft beer, it was back in the dark ages.
Beer has since been through a renaissance. Palates have become sophisticated, chefs are matching food with premium ales and corporate money is flowing into the sector as thick and fast as a stout on tap.
'Craft beers have come back to what beers were like 100 or 200 years ago.'
Per head of population, there are more microbreweries in Australia than in the US, where the craft beer revolution began decades ago.
Australian producers appear particularly keen on cracking the Chinese market, which consumed 25 billion litres of beer in 2015, according to Euromonitor, which was twice the amount consumed in the US.
China’s imported beer sector alone is estimated to be worth $750 million a year — and growing fast — according to the China Alcoholic Drinks Association.
“As people are getting better educated in beer, we are learning that it is a perishable item,” Lewis says.
“Transporting beer in trucks across the desert can destroy it.
“A lot of beers only have a shelf life of three or four months, and some don’t last the journey.”

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:01 pm

German man breaks record carrying 31 steins

https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/drink/ ... b88589105z

A new world record has been set for carrying mugs of beer in southeastern Germany.

In Bavaria, which is also home to Oktoberfest, the world’s biggest beer festival, Oliver Struempfel cradled 31 beer-filled tankards stacked up in two tiers, walked 40 metres and then set them down.

But two tipped over at the last minute, so that the record is 29 jugs, or more than 69 kg of beer and glass.
“I first did 27, because I wanted to be sure and then at the end I said, ‘Let’s add another one and get over 30’,” Struempfel said. “Unfortunately it didn’t quite work, but having managed to put 29 down ... I think it’s amazing.”

To prepare for Sunday’s attempt, Struempfel said, he has trained at the gym three to four times a week since February.
“When I think about it, it’s 200 hours for about 40 seconds of walking,” he said after the feat.

He had set the previous world record of 25 jugs in 2014, Munich daily Merkur said.

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Fantastic! Those Bavarians love their beer.

Don't forget to try the 1 litre cans of Kaiserdom beers in the supermarkets (and Makro). The brewery (actual brewery) will be 300 years old next year, and the price is great for imported beer. I've drunk the dark beer and I love it.

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't know if this has already been mentions (apologies if it has), but a small selection of Thai craft beers is available at this place at Seen Space, near immigration. I was told the isaan food was seriously spicy as well, by the three isaan ladies I was with.

I guess some of the other places there might sell Thai craft beers as well?

Talk is cheap

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm

caller wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm
I don't know if this has already been mentions (apologies if it has), but a small selection of Thai craft beers is available at this place at Seen Space, near immigration. I was told the isaan food was seriously spicy as well, by the three isaan ladies I was with.

I guess some of the other places there might sell Thai craft beers as well?
Thanks. Around how much do they cost?

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm
Sorry, I didn't ask as I didn't try them. I don't drink much now in any case and very rarely when I am driving. Especially if the alcohol level is quite high.

I wonder if anyone has tried them?
Talk is cheap

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

I noticed the 5.5 to 5.7 alcohol. Wheat beer is supposed to be gentle!

Anyway I'm sure you won't drink when you have 3 Isaan ladies with you. :)

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:01 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm
I noticed the 5.5 to 5.7 alcohol. Wheat beer is supposed to be gentle!

Anyway I'm sure you won't drink when you have 3 Isaan ladies with you. :)
Alas, it was my other half and two of her colleagues. 8)
Talk is cheap

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I hope I've copied this correctly, it's a video I've just watched on the BBC website about a guy who travels to Cambodia to brew his craft beer and then imports it into Thailand to sell - looks good and 10 out of 10 for his determination to try to open up the market
:cheers:

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:17 pm

I've tried 3 times now and can't get it to copy but maybe somebody a bit more savvy will manage to copy it

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 pm

I can't get it to link either. Maybe Big Brother Beeb and / or the Thais?
Talk is cheap

PET
Ace
Ace

Post by PET » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 am

caller wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm
Sorry, I didn't ask as I didn't try them. I don't drink much now in any case and very rarely when I am driving. Especially if the alcohol level is quite high.

I wonder if anyone has tried them?
Seen Space near Immigation - can you be a little more specific, I guess this is 19Rai area?
VERAX - What matters in life is not where you are from but where you are going.