The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Big Boy

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Big Boy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 am

Nostalgia. Something to dream of.
League 1 - Bury...0 Plymouth Argyle....0 :dance: :dance:
Points 5; Position 23

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am

this seems to be a UKish thing, we don't get Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, South Aficans or Europeans nostalging about beers and other things back home on the forum..

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:13 am

oakdale160 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am
this seems to be a UKish thing, we don't get Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, South Aficans or Europeans nostalging about beers and other things back home on the forum..
Oh, what's this then?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16486&p=425746&hil ... by#p425746
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am

oakdale160 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am
This thread was started by a gentleman from Finland.
League 1 - Bury...0 Plymouth Argyle....0 :dance: :dance:
Points 5; Position 23

aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:57 pm

oakdale160 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:47 am
I just don't understand why anyone would think that which beer a poster used to enjoy when they were back in the UK is of any interest if that beer is not available in HH TONIGHT.
Sorry, but I believe the thread is "The Beer Thread", which actually is pretty broad and encompasses just about anything to do with beer, nostalgic or not.

If you want to discuss what beer might be available in HH tonight, maybe you need to start a new thread, IMHO.

:cheers: :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the 'Y' becomes silent.

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 pm

oakdale160 wrote:
I just don't understand why anyone would think that which beer a poster used to enjoy when they were back in the UK is of any interest if that beer is not available in HH TONIGHT.
It's not only nostalgia, the craft brewery craze that has been enjoying double-digit growth for each of the last five years, sees no sign of abating. Indeed, a new niche known as the "nano brewery" is gaining popularity and is focused on making just one barrel of beer at a time. With companies like White Labs opening their Yeast Vault, which has been collecting and storing strains of yeast for over 20 years, there's almost nothing that might not be available to drink one evening in HH soon!
:cheers:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde

404cameljockey
Professional
Professional

Post by 404cameljockey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

oakdale160 wrote:
BB encapsulates what I thought this thread to be about, beer. Not 'information for forum users about beers available in HH'. Not every discussion has to appeal to you. Feel free to scroll down. :cheers:

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:12 pm

The wife brought a six pack of the below back from Laos on the plane a few weeks ago. Tastier than I remember it and I'm wondering if the locally sold version up there is now different than what is sold here, or the "Limited Edition" has something to do with it? In any event it is some tasty beer IMO. :D Pete :cheers:
phpOhhhNwAM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

RCer
Guru
Guru

Post by RCer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Given the new laws about advertising on social media, I'm afraid to discuss what I drink.

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Disgusting, isn't it? I'm sure if they complain about people's posts to admin, we'll know about it. Pete :cheers: Whoops...I better not use that emoticon any longer. :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

404cameljockey
Professional
Professional

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Can it be considered advertising if you're getting no personal gain out of it? Wikipedia says: "Advertising is an audio or visual form of marketing communication that employs an openly sponsored, nonpersonal message to promote or sell a product, service or idea."

So I will continue to post away.

404cameljockey
Professional
Professional

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Found this I think in Makro (only bought a couple to try a week or so back and not sure where), it has a terrific 'London porter' style taste, very burnt malt flavour, but the beer itself is coloured like a darkish bitter, and is cloudy, which suggests it's unfiltered. Cheaper than the Fullers' London Porter on sale in the supermarkets. I'm very happy. :)

buksida

Post by buksida » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm

50+ CRAFT BREWS AT BANGKOK BEER FEST
The inaugural Bangkok Beer Fest will pop up in a Rama IX-area garden with more than 50 local and international brands of beer paired with games and live music.

The three-day event is hosted by Thai craft brewer Stone Head. Expect to taste a variety of beers and meet the brewmasters from Stone Head, Bannok Beer, Lamzing Beer and more.

Hear local bands perform live each evening: The first day sees indie duo Two Pills After Meal, while the second day will feature Piya Satraweha, aka “Po Yokee Playboy.” On the third and final evening, hear young-and-gifted Somkiat play.

Tickets are available online for 200 baht including one drink. Two tickets can be bought for 350 baht. Entry is 21 and up.

The festival starts at 5pm each day Sept. 1-3 at the Oasis Creative Market at the Show DC shopping mall near RCA. It can be reached by motorbike taxi or taxi from MRT Phetchaburi.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/even ... beer-fest/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

404cameljockey
Professional
Professional

Post by 404cameljockey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm

buksida wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm
50+ CRAFT BREWS AT BANGKOK BEER FEST
The inaugural Bangkok Beer Fest will pop up in a Rama IX-area garden with more than 50 local and international brands of beer paired with games and live music.

The three-day event is hosted by Thai craft brewer Stone Head. Expect to taste a variety of beers and meet the brewmasters from Stone Head, Bannok Beer, Lamzing Beer and more.

Hear local bands perform live each evening: The first day sees indie duo Two Pills After Meal, while the second day will feature Piya Satraweha, aka “Po Yokee Playboy.” On the third and final evening, hear young-and-gifted Somkiat play.

Tickets are available online for 200 baht including one drink. Two tickets can be bought for 350 baht. Entry is 21 and up.

The festival starts at 5pm each day Sept. 1-3 at the Oasis Creative Market at the Show DC shopping mall near RCA. It can be reached by motorbike taxi or taxi from MRT Phetchaburi.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/even ... beer-fest/
How can I arrange to be there without Mrs. Cameljockey? And is it an expat only event or will I need a kevlar jacket or crash helmet later on? This comment is open for anti-racist complaints now....

Vital Spark
Ace
Ace

Post by Vital Spark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:11 pm

We'd be quite keen on going, apart from the music. I'm going to sound like an 'old fart' here, but I go to concerts to listen to music, and beer fests to drink beer. I don't mind combining both as long as one doesn't interfere with the other. I fear that in the land of all noise, the bands will be blasting out their songs (full bass of course) at ear-splitting volume, and I may end up ordering the wrong beer, or not be able to have a full and frank discussion with Mr.VS about the quality of the ale I'm drinking.

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"