The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Big Boy

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Big Boy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 am

As you drive North on Soi 35 (19?) towards Immigration, there's a huge white monstrosity on your right - often looks abandoned. Stop, and go inside, you could be pleasantly surprised.
League 1 - Bury...0 Plymouth Argyle....0 :dance: :dance:
Points 5; Position 23

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Is it the new hotel, or 'beach club' as I think the sign says? It's quite a modern, striking design and does look only half finished.

I like the sound of the Tuk Tuk cream ale and welcome reports from anyone who gets to sample some of these. As for the ABV for Wheat beers, I'm not sure there is an expected range and for many small breweries, controlling the alcohol content is guess work at best.

I made a 6 US Gallon (23 L) batch of all grain 'generic' Northern Bitter on Monday and was anticipating an original gravity of 1.052, based on a 5.150kg grain bill of mainly pale malt with a bit of crystal and chocolate added for colour. It seems my mash was very efficient (this can be very touch-and-go) and my OG was 1.062. If the yeast does its stuff and converts all the sugars to alcohol I should see a final gravity of around 1.010 and the difference in ABV between the two is 6.8% vs. 5.5%. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks...provided I can stand! :laugh:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde

migrant
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by migrant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 pm

J.J.B. wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm
Is it the new hotel, or 'beach club' as I think the sign says? It's quite a modern, striking design and does look only half finished.

I like the sound of the Tuk Tuk cream ale and welcome reports from anyone who gets to sample some of these. As for the ABV for Wheat beers, I'm not sure there is an expected range and for many small breweries, controlling the alcohol content is guess work at best.

I made a 6 US Gallon (23 L) batch of all grain 'generic' Northern Bitter on Monday and was anticipating an original gravity of 1.052, based on a 5.150kg grain bill of mainly pale malt with a bit of crystal and chocolate added for colour. It seems my mash was very efficient (this can be very touch-and-go) and my OG was 1.062. If the yeast does its stuff and converts all the sugars to alcohol I should see a final gravity of around 1.010 and the difference in ABV between the two is 6.8% vs. 5.5%. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks...provided I can stand! :laugh:
If you can't stand, then share!! :cheers:
The essence of life lies with the dispensing with of formalities

Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm

La Birra have added craft beers to their selection. Don't know about names or prices because they don't interest me. They do, however, interest my gf and her brother. And unlike most of the import beers that I tried to order, it appeared that all the craft beers were actually in stock (at least all the ones that they ordered were)

buksida

Post by buksida » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:23 pm

THAILAND NOW HAS ITS FIRST LEGAL CRAFT ‘HONEY WINE’
Last night the first batch of legal Nonthaburi Mead was released on the tongues of Bangkok hopheads. It’s marketed as the first legal mead, something simply known as “honey wine” in the kingdom.

Behind the mead made from 100 percent local longan honey in Chiang Mai are the two brothers of the Nonthaburi Brewing Company: Nattachai Ungsriwong and Teerapat Ungsriwong.

They cooked up their Non Mead at a small brewery across the river, and while the law doesn’t allow small breweries to operate legally, Nattachai said his most recent product was granted a license as undistilled “fermented alcohol.”

They say its sweet taste evokes lemon honey soda. A batch of more than 70 bottles sold out last night at the Turtle Bar in Nonthaburi’s Pak Kret. Nearly 50 more will be available Thursday night at Dok Kaew House Bar in Bangkok, Nattachai said. He expects to sell more bottles in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and provinces in Isaan.

According to the Nonthaburi-based brewmaster, the price of the 5 percent alcohol mead hasn’t been settled on since new alcohol taxes rates come into effect Saturday.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/even ... oney-wine/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

johnjar
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Post by johnjar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Big Boy wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 pm
Is there any statement on how much draught beer will increase? I can only drink Guinness, and that already requires a mortgage when I go out.
Which bars in Hua Hin sell draught Guinness...Thks

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I use Father Teds, but I believe El Murphy's as well.
Points 5; Position 23

johnjar
Amateur
Amateur

Post by johnjar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Big Boy wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:42 pm
I use Father Teds, but I believe El Murphy's as well.
Great not had a pint of guinness for ages the last time was in BKK , I know both bars and will be giving them a visit..thks

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 pm

it is good that there are only a few places selling it. You need a fast turnover. Once the cask is tapped it needs to be sold in a couple of days otherwise the Guinness becomes less fresh and vibrant.

johnjar
Amateur
Amateur

Post by johnjar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:43 am

oakdale160 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 pm
it is good that there are only a few places selling it. You need a fast turnover. Once the cask is tapped it needs to be sold in a couple of days otherwise the Guinness becomes less fresh and vibrant.
Whenever I go to UK my brother usually keeps a couple of cans of draught guinness in his fridge ...When tab is cracked open you just pour slowly into glass held at an angle to let it settle its looks and tastes like pub draft with nice creamy texture and white top .... will have long shelf life as its in sealed can...Wish they sold it over here...Have looked and never seen it :(

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:13 am

Thats reminds me of another reason why it's not for every pub, you have to know how to pour it from the Tap. Slowly, gently. let it settle then top it up. It can be a wait, but it's worth it.

HHTel
Legend
Legend

Post by HHTel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am

johnjar wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:43 am
oakdale160 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 pm
Whenever I go to UK my brother usually keeps a couple of cans of draught guinness in his fridge ...When tab is cracked open you just pour slowly into glass held at an angle to let it settle its looks and tastes like pub draft with nice creamy texture and white top .... will have long shelf life as its in sealed can...Wish they sold it over here...Have looked and never seen it :(
Oh the wonder of the 'widget'.

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 am

thailand-guinness.jpg
thailand-guinness.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 120 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:41 am

LOL - you're making my mouth water. Haven't had one for over a month.
Points 5; Position 23

handdrummer
Guru
Guru

Post by handdrummer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Are you talking about Guinness stout or Guinness draft or draft Guinness stout?