The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
johnjar
Professional
Professional

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by johnjar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm

buksida wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 am
One thing I have noticed after a recent break from it is how rotten you feel the following day after over indulging on Thai beer. You don't get the same feeling from drinking beer in other countries - there are definitely some nasties in the beer here. Go easy on it!
"You don't get the same feeling from drinking beer in other countries" Try Bintang in Indonesia now that,ll give you real hangover :cheers:

buksida

Post by buksida » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Well obviously there are worse but Thai beer has to be up there on the killer chemical hangover list. I was referring in general to western beers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 pm

buksida wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 pm
Well obviously there are worse but Thai beer has to be up there on the killer chemical hangover list. I was referring in general to western beers.
I'm not sure it's not just down to the strength and style of beer because a night on draft continental lager leaves me feeling pretty similar.

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes and after a few pints of Fullers ESB you are fairly guaranteed to be feeling a bit under the weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handdrummer
Guru
Guru

Post by handdrummer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 am

Whatever too much is for you, if you drink too much you won't feel good.

Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm

buksida wrote:
I have to agree with this.

I can barely function as a human being and avoid interacting with others at all costs when I have a hangover here. When I was back in England last year I was surprised at how relatively close I was to an ordinary member of society even after a particularly heavy night on the European beers.

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Pleng wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm
buksida wrote:

I can barely function as a human being and avoid interacting with others at all costs when I have a hangover here. When I was back in England last year I was surprised at how relatively close I was to an ordinary member of society even after a particularly heavy night on the European beers.
I do think the overnight dehydration factor plays a big part in hot countries. Water and electrolyte loss contribute a lot to a hangover.

handdrummer
Guru
Guru

Post by handdrummer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 am

Currently, at Makro, Corona, 7oz., 6 packs, on sale for 280 bht.

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 am

Pleng wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm
buksida wrote:

The way the nanny brigade works here I wouldn't be surprised if something was put in as a deterrent. We either need to get a hold of the Thai Gov Book of Secrets, or someone in the UK needs to do a test with the export Thai beer available there. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

buksida

Post by buksida » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am

In the name of research I had 5-6 tins of Leo last night and this morning feel like a bag of shite.

You definitely do not get the same reaction from 3 pints of Spitfire, Tribute, Strongbow or even Stella.

Thai lager is pollution - but I will continue my research today!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

I can't touch Thai lager, it gives me severe stomach cramps after about 50% of a small bottle. The only pain from 4 pints of Guinness is in my wallet.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Northampton....0 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 17; Position 23

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:34 am

Even in China a communist controlled dictatorship, the craft brewery movement has caught fire and there are many brewpubs making/selling carefully sourced ingredients and with a guarantee of purity similar to Germany.

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 am

I often have a dodgy stomach after eating the same food as the wife and she's always fine, always been the same.
But Chang and Leo don't give me any stomach problem, might increase the hangover slightly I agree.

But it's what I can afford to drink on a daily basis; the one/two bottles of Fullers, Youngs, etc. I buy on a shopping trip are saved up for occasional use in front of the TV (rugby, F1, etc.) :)

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:41 pm

buksida wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am
In the name of research I had 5-6 tins of Leo last night and this morning feel like a bag of shite.

You definitely do not get the same reaction from 3 pints of Spitfire, Tribute, Strongbow or even Stella.

Thai lager is pollution - but I will continue my research today!
I don't get a hangover with beer brewed in the UK much either. I wonder if this has anything to do with it, apparently there is a 0.5% leeway allowed on alcohol content labeling and manufacturers are using this to brew weaker beer to lower tax liability:

https://m.thegrocer.co.uk/556907.articl ... te=enabled

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:48 pm

PeteC wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 am
...or someone in the UK needs to do a test with the export Thai beer available there. Pete :cheers:
The six-pack of Singha remains untouched. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it. It’s going to need to wait until Saturday, however, before I can have a good run at it. :shock:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde