The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:38 pm

I was in the U.K. Over the Christmas period and sampled some bottled beer called Bah Humbug, brewed by the Wychwood Brewery. It has a hint of cinnamon in it which gave it a slightly sweet taste - just the odd bottle was ok, but I personally wouldn't want to drink it in large quantities. I also had one of my favourite beers - Youngs Special, oh to be able to get that in Thailand!!

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Dannie Boy wrote:one of my favourite beers - Youngs Special, oh to be able to get that in Thailand!!
Various Young's ales are available in Thailand. See Buksi's pic above. Not sure about special, although I've seen the 'ordinary' but the bottled version is 4.5%, whereas the pump version is 3.7%. A Young's 'cold light & bitter' is what I was weaned on! :D
Talk is cheap

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:52 pm

caller wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:one of my favourite beers - Youngs Special, oh to be able to get that in Thailand!!
Various Young's ales are available in Thailand. See Buksi's pic above. Not sure about special, although I've seen the 'ordinary' but the bottled version is 4.5%, whereas the pump version is 3.7%. A Young's 'cold light & bitter' is what I was weaned on! :D
I'm aware that you can get a number of bottled bitters in HH, I have a few bottles of London Pride in the cupboard, but what I drank in the UK was draught Special which was 4.5% and obviously kept well as it was one of the best pints I've had in many years. :cheers:

jingjoe
Professional
Professional

Post by jingjoe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 am

buksida wrote:youngs.jpg
Ratsima wrote:For WishBeer you go to their website, place an order and a day or two later the beer is delivered by truck.
You must be the lucky one, ordered some Young's London Ale for new year six days ago - still hasn't arrived. :cuss:

Think I'll be looking for another supplier, Wishbeer are not cheap once you've added shipping fees and taxes to your orders, and waiting for their deliveries you'll die of thirst.
saw this one at gourmet market bluport this morning 152bht a bottle

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Boutique brewer faces jail

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1 ... faces-jail

NONTHABURI -- A fresh law graduate hoping to build a bright career with his illegal homemade beer has been arrested by Excise Department officials on his first day of business and faces jail and a hefty fine under a recently passed law.

Department officials and police raided a three-storey shophouse in tambon Bang Krasor of Muang Nonthaburi district on Saturday night after being tipped off by residents that the place was being used to sell illegal beer to local teenagers.

The team found a roll-up door on the front of the building was closed but one at the back was open. Inside they found 28-year-old Taopipob Limjittakorn selling his home-brewed beer to a group of adult and teen customers for 150 baht per glass. 

The second and third floors of the shophouse were being used for beer fermentation and boiling. 

The brewer said he was a serious beer lover who had just graduated from the law faculty of an established university. He had bought equipment and tried to brew beer to his own recipe. He spent months fine-tuning it until he got good feedback from university friends and acquaintances.

“I decide to market test selling the beer at 150 baht per glass, but on the first day I was arrested,” Mr Taopipob said. 

Officials confiscated all of the beer-making equipment and took Mr Taopipob to Rattanathibet police station, where he was charged with possessing equipment for producing alcohol drinks without a licence, producing alcohol drinks without a licence, possessing alcohol drinks not labelled with paper excise tax stamps, and possession with intent to sell. 

Mr Taopipob accepted the first two charges but denied the other two. 

Thai law prohibits small-scale brewing. The Excise Department, however, does not have specific figures about the number of cases of people being caught with illegal home-brewed beer. 

The maximum penalty for home brewing under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. But a new law passed under the National Legislative Assembly last month raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.

The underground home-brewing scene in Thailand started out with less than a dozen brewers a few years ago, with complaints centred around blaming the big breweries for their monopoly and how the law prohibited smaller ones from gaining licences.

Now there are estimated to be more than 100 home brewers, and in only one year eight have introduced overseas production, importing their own beer back into Thailand legally.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 pm

This is pathetic. Elsewhere microbreweries are popping up all the time, bringing variety to the available beers. Thailand's largers are awful and usually it's easy to be an entrepreneur in the country but this must be some kind of monopoly of a few big wigs.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Pathetic or not, he was obviously trying to make a fast buck. 150 Baht for a glass of beer is IMHO a bit steep. I assume he was not paying taxes etc.
League 2 - Plymouth Argyle...2 Crewe....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 86; Position 1
PROMOTED :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:55 am

So you stand on the side of manufacturers of Leo and Chang? No quick big buck there, eh?

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 am

^ More on the legality of craft beer in Thailand and the steps being taken:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2017 ... w-catches/
Just 8 days of global military spending could fund 12 years of free, quality education for every child on the planet

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:57 am

I think what happened is quite clear. The law was in place since 1950 but just last month it was changed to reflect new, huge penalties and fines. The big brewers made a call to their junta friends for sure as they now feel threatened. Who represents the small man here on any issue, absolutely no one. Pete :cheers:
Just 8 days of global military spending could fund 12 years of free, quality education for every child on the planet

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 am

No small volume craft beer in Thai---Thai falling behind the rest of the world--it can't be true, can it??

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 am

The Khaosod article states...."The 1950 Liquor Act states beer can only be made in a factory or brewpub. A 2000 Finance Ministry regulation says for producers to gain legal status, they must make more than 100,000 liters per year and be a limited company with capital of at least 10 million baht."....

No surprise who that favours. The small guy has to produce 274 liters a day seven days a week, plus come up with 10 million Baht capital. When they screw you down, they really screw you down.

They make becoming legal unobtainable for most, and then change the penalties to totally crush anyone who attempts a small start-up. Pete :cheers:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:47 am

Bamboo Grove wrote:So you stand on the side of manufacturers of Leo and Chang? No quick big buck there, eh?
No, but charging mates 3 times the cost of a glass of Chang or Leo, which already includes a substantial tax, it's either very good, or the guy is trying to make a very fast buck.

I'm all for the small guy, and open competition, but this guy was taking the P. Thailand being Thailand, the fact he was caught on his first day, I'd guess somebody reported him because they felt they had been ripped off.
League 2 - Plymouth Argyle...2 Crewe....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 86; Position 1
PROMOTED :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:18 am

The maximum penalty for home brewing under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. But a new law passed under the National Legislative Assembly last month raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.
Well, I do not know much about it, and as I do not drink beer I am not affected. But I would be more concerned about this part of it if I wanted to brew my own beer at home. I doubt that you need to be selling it to be illegal and rounded up by the Gestapo when somebody dobs you in.

After all, this is the country that arrested elderly pensioners in Pattaya because they were playing bridge!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

prcscct
Hero
Hero

Post by prcscct » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:08 am

The finale concerning the man arrested for brewing, and associated articles. To be noted that he was selling for 100 Baht not 150, per his statement in this article. Pete :cheers:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... eeks-bail/