Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Post by dtaai-maai »

hobnobs.jpg
hobnobs.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 14980 times
This is the way
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

"I have to say that biscuits and gravy sounds like some form of medieval torture to me..."

It is. But a wonderful torment. :)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Shocking news...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-way.html
Biscuit-eaters were today recovering from a shock announcement that has turned their world (quite literally) upside down.

What they thought was the top of their beloved McVitie's Digestives and Hobnobs is actually the bottom... so they've been eating them the wrong way up all these years.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:Ham Ham here is exactly what I've been served in the states.
Ham served here with breakfast? I'd like to know of any places that don't serve what we call lunch meat (a 1mm thick slice machine cut in a factory that makes meat logs out of a combination of ham and other pig parts).
Big Boy wrote:Not wishing to upset our American cousins, but I don't remember getting a GOOD American breakfast, even in America. However, this is obviously a cultural taste thing. However, its a few weeks since I was over there, so maybe its my memory, or something has changed.
Not upset at all. There are 2 basic types of restaurant breakfasts for the middle of the economic spectrum. One type is no better than bad airline food, IMHO. By time time I was living on my own, the only time I ate at places that serve such nourishment was on road trips. Of the other kind, those who like the first kind wonder what is wrong with us to pay twice as much for breakfast as we should. The difference is quality of ingredients, the belief that adding an additional flavor or texture (or 2) can help a dish, and preparation.
Big Boy wrote:I'll never forget ordering sausage and pancakes - I was horrified when the syrup had been poured over my slices of sausage. :D
Equally horrified.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

RCer wrote:The American items I'm interested in are things like an omelette with ingreadients, ... home fried potatoes (not deep fried)
In the western style omelettes that I know of here, the ingredients play a supporting role to the eggs, unlike in the US where they take center stage, spotlight and top billing.

It's been a while, but I believe All in Hua Hin serves potatoes that are between close and spot on to what we call home fried potatoes.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Ohhhhhhhh biscuits and gravy....

When either is done properly, serving one without the other is like (fill in your favorite food pairs), e.g. Pizza & Beer, Turkey & Stuffing, Fries & Ketchup, Fish & Chips, etc.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Homer wrote:Ohhhhhhhh biscuits and gravy....

When either is done properly, serving one without the other is like (fill in your favorite food pairs), e.g. Pizza & Beer, Turkey & Stuffing, Fries & Ketchup, Fish & Chips, etc.
Exactly.

Tried to send you a PM but it is stuck in my outbox.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Homer wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I'll never forget ordering sausage and pancakes - I was horrified when the syrup had been poured over my slices of sausage. :D
Equally horrified.
So is that not the norm? Once bitten, twice shy - I've never ordered it since, :D The sausage actually looked more like Scottish sausage slices, which can be lovely, but smothered in syrup - an acquired taste, which i failed to achieve.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Having said the above about sausages and syrup, I have enjoyed fried bread sandwiches with strawberry jam before. :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

"It's been a while, but I believe All in Hua Hin serves potatoes that are between close and spot on to what we call home fried."

Potatoes and coffee (not from espresso beans) with breakfast would be a wonderful treat.

There is only one place I am aware of in Phetchabun that serves up a UK style breakfast, but the only choice of potato is jacket (baked) or chips (french fries).

Breakfast before 10am would be great too.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote:
Homer wrote:
Equally horrified.
So is that not the norm? Once bitten, twice shy - I've never ordered it since, :D The sausage actually looked more like Scottish sausage slices, which can be lovely, but smothered in syrup - an acquired taste, which i failed to achieve.
Actually sausage covered in syrup is wrong on so many levels.

I enjoy pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc with syrup on them. But typically request they be served on a separate plate from the rest of the meal. Syrup tends to get over everything otherwise.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

dtaai-maai wrote:
hobnobs.jpg
Ah, thank you. To me that looks like a chocolate covered cookie. More of a desert item than a meal.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, 'biscuit' in English = 'cookie' in Amurrcan... :wink: :laugh:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

While 'biscuit' in Amurrcan = scone in English!
American English and British English use the word "biscuit" to refer to two distinctly different modern foods. Early hard biscuits (North American: cookies) were derived from a twice-baked bread, whereas the North American biscuit is similar to a savoury European scone
This is the way