baked BEAN on toast.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

I am one of the lucky ones who do not like baked beans.
Was in HH 5 weeks ago, stayed at the Hua Hin Suites opposite the Sofitel and was lucky enough to have our breakfast thrown in with the price of the rooms.
The cafe that done the breakfasts was called Papa Johns.

Included toast, tea/coffee. fruit juice, Eggs (how you wanted them) with bacon and then a big plate of fruit to end with. There was no restriction of time to eat either.
If we had had to pay, would have cost 125baht.

May be worth a vist on your next trip
:cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Guess wrote:A couple of things to add:

Ther is a new Fish & Chip (English style)
WHY WHY Why what is the point you are in Thailand eat Thai food it is by far more tasty and far more suitable for the human metabillism in the climate ,yes agreed at times some comfort eating may be required,
but just watch the Kilo's pile on from fat saturated farrang food,
its just not healthy
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

14 responses to a thread entitled Beans on Toast....feckin magic!

Joe...I was in stitches at your last post. Well played. :wink:

Cannot wait for the kebab thread....
Never trust a hippy....
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Heinz baked beans in the shopping mall?????

Someone tell me where, i have never seen them there only S&W or that other shitty brand that are like bullets.

I just brought back some tesco beans from UK and a dozen large tins of John West Red Salmon mmmmmmmmm. feel just like Homer Simpson now just thinking of it.

Anyway what the hell is wrong with beans on toast i love it and i am sure it makes me no less a worldly person for it, fine if you like Thai food then eat it and if not eat what you want.

Maybe if we used the principles others believe Muslims and other ethnic minorities in the uk should be force fed english food, i think not.

All over the world there are establishments that cater for all tastes and just because i live here i see no reason to have to eat the local fayre.

Anyway never mind each to their own and who really cares what others want to eat, i am sure there are more important things in all our lives to worry about.

Mike.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

All over the world there are establishments that cater for all tastes and just because i live here i see no reason to have to eat the local fayre

Variety is the spice of life, try out whats on offer

And folk should have free choice to buy or eat what they wish without any forceful persuasion away from what they wish to eat or purchase from any body where ever they may be ,a cafe ,restaurant, The Market ,Tesco, shopping mall and on and on and on

We all want hasel free shopping and eating

And do they have Candi floss at this FAYRE is it Hua hin fayre or Scarborough Fayre

Generally speaking, a fair is 'a gathering of stalls and amusements for public entertainment', whereas fare is 'a range of food' (Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1999). However, the archaic (15th to 17th century) spelling fayre is confusingly used for both words by those who think it lends 'an historic flavour'.surely you are not that old mike, Maybe its different in Wales
Last edited by dr dave soul monsta on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
buksida

Post by buksida »

This certainly is a popular topic, never knew there were that many bean freaks in town. I think it was Jamie that hit it on the head earlier with his comment about the Thais cooking it. If the owner isnt in the bar/restaurant (and even if they are they're unlikely to be busting their nuts in the kitchen) then the Thai staff will be preparing the food. Would you really expect someone thats being paid a hundred dollars a month working with cheap produce to conjure up a gourmet feast?

Even simple snacks can go painfully wrong if the staff have no idea how to cook them, the blame ultimately lies with the owner, if they want a professional business with high quality food and services then they should be prepared to train the staff, hire professionals, or cook themselves. A lot are too lazy and dont really give a shit, afterall many of the bars are just a little venture to "keep the missus busy".

Good eateries in a town of this size really must develop a good reputation if they want to survive. The Thais certainly know the good restaurants from the bad, you know how serious they are about food. I reckon we should too.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

HOWS ABOUT
eggs beans spam spam spam sausage spam spam bacon spam spam spam spam spam spam and spam
which is fine if you like spam !
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Hi Dave,

Never thought i would get a spelling lesson from you????

Hasel free shopping???????????????

They do have chopped ham and pork in shopping mall which again goes down well with chips and beans mmmmmmmmmmmm

Mike.
aitch
Rookie
Rookie

spag bol

Post by aitch »

[quote]A friend invited us to dinner on Wednesday night, Spag Bol, his wife was really upset, it was awful. The minced beef was crap to start with, I said she should stick to imported beef. She said she tried to buy some in the shopping mall but this fallang lady dragged her away and showed her the 'better quality and better priced minced beef' 200 odd bht she paid. I,ve got the label and will stay clear in future.

It seems there is nothing someone won't try to make a little cheaper but say it's just as good.

Returning the favour tonight spag bol with the good stuff, 360 bht, will update you later[/quote]
Jd, sorry but can't help making one or two observations; Perhaps friends that serve spag bol to dinner guests ,are the sort of friends you might not need .
Friends that serve crap spag bol to dinner guests are the sort of friends you definately don't need.
Anyone who can't make very good spaghetti bolognese from the crappiest of crap meats , is , I'm sorry to say , a very, very, crappy cook indeed.
The original dish was an Italian peasant dish and does not even use minced beef , instead offal and the cheepest cuts of beef and pork are simmered for hours in tomato sauce ,until everything is completely tender, after which any dodgy bits like bones etc. are removed before serving.
I'm not sugesting that everyone should make it this way , but to suggest that one should pay 360bht for mince is ridiculous .
Any good chef/cook or butcher will tell you that you need some fat for flavour, and that cheap cuts properly prepared, are evey bit as good, if not better than some of the more expensive cuts.
I have no idea where you go to pay 360bht for minced beef, but really, you can buy imported steak for that price ,and use it to give your dinner guests something a bit more exiting to eat, if they really are friends that is .
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Wot's with the shopping mall trip?
Was in there this afternoon and was not impressed. The wife will still go to the local markets and get some of the food for better prices.
Suppose it's just got to be the convenience?
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

The humble baked bean has a lot to answer for! I'm really enjoying this thread - some really good posts. Shakin' Boxcar Joe's 'Baked Bean Nightmare' could be my favourite ever! Nice one Joe!

Some other observations:
Dr Dave wrote:WHY WHY Why what is the point you are in Thailand eat Thai food
This is the civilised view of an enlightened and liberal thinking Westerner. I used to have the same point of view until I realised that it doesn't work the other way round. Most Thais in the UK subsist almost entirely on Blah Lah at silly quid a jar, durian at 15 quid a kilo and Khao Niew at the same price per 5 kilo bag from the nearest Chinese supermarket, never once having earnestly sampled the delights of British fayre - sorry, fare!
Guess wrote:By the way beans make you fart and Thai people don't do that.
Well, this may be true until you are married to them. Then they fart like the rest of us. Blah Lah, Kapi and Nam Bpoo generate the foulest, fishiest guffs on the planet.
Dr Dave wrote:Generally speaking, a fair is 'a gathering of stalls and amusements for public entertainment', whereas fare is 'a range of food' (Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1999). However, the archaic (15th to 17th century) spelling fayre is confusingly used for both words by those who think it lends 'an historic flavour'.surely you are not that old mike, Maybe its different in Wales
Actually, in Wales the correct spelling is Fffare and, what is more, Baked Beans should be written: Llwychwrffinogion! I look forward to seeing it on the first Welsh menu in Hua Hin!

Hope that clears the linguistics up! :cheers:

Keep on posting!

Jaime
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Heinz beans were available at the shopping mall last year and they taste exactly like the ones in England. They cost an arm and a leg though. They are not in blue cans as you are used to. You need to be able to read to find them. The label says Heinz Vegatarian Beans, so as to diferentiate them from the non-vegatarian beans which contain pig's offfal. They were situated very close to the two new farang food fridges that sell a whole range of foods ranging from girlie quiches to blockbuster meat pies.

Just to silence you critics about the origin of the said meat pies I can assure you categorically that they are beef. I offered one last week to my Hindhu friend from London (of course) and he refused to even sit at the table whilst I ate mine.

If you insist that these pies are rock hard and you require better quality food then take a trip up the hill to the nice Thai restaurant with the beautiful view of Hua Hin. You will find (because it is on a hill) that you will have to park your truck on a slope. To avoid it careeering down the hill and coliding with an innocent elephant try using the meat pies as wheel chocks.

Now, enough about meat pies and beanz. You will pile on the pounds and become unattractive to ladies. The only redeming feature you will retain is your wallet. Tuck into a good old plate of fish and chips. I am now heading up a one man crusade to ensure that gravy and curry sauce are available at the chippy. What could be more healthy.

Happy eating everybody. By the way has anybody tried eating Thai food. I have lived in Hua Hin now for three years and have found restaurants that sell good healthy Thai food just like the ones that you find in San Francisco, London and Amsterdam except at a fraction the cost.

Must be time now for my medication.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Guess wrote:You will pile on the pounds and become unattractive to ladies. The only redeming feature you will retain is your wallet.
The second statement contradicts the first - shurely it is the very retention of your wallet that will protect you against becoming unattractive to the ladies? :wink:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Aitch Seriously stops the charade you have become more repetitive and predictable than ever please get on your bike and …………….
It is so obvious who you are writing for please find a life some where else

Jamie keep up the Good postings you are obviously a very ............
aitch
Rookie
Rookie

charade?

Post by aitch »

Once again you make false assumptions and accusations. I have a mind of my own , and write what I choose . Don't have a clue who you imagine I am writing for . Repetetive? coming from someone who thinks "just doing what comes naturally " at the bottom of his every posting is whitty . Do the words kettle , pot and black mean anything. "Get on your bike ", talk about Oscar Wilde!