Fish and Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Fish and Chips

Post by Pagey »

I agree with Takiap, I think its just laziness and more convenient for the staff. :(

As pointed out, other outlets use the local bought potatoes to make chips.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

im not sure iif its been mentioned but the kiwi fish and chip shop is by far the best fish and chips i have had in thailand.
Its on pechakasem rd across the road from aa insurance and tlc learning building.The fish comes from the waters off phuket,snapper i think,and the chips arent local,but a canadian import,still nicer than local potatoes which are useless as fries(hold too much oil and become soggy)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

jingjoe wrote:im not sure iif its been mentioned but the kiwi fish and chip shop is by far the best fish and chips i have had in thailand.
Its on pechakasem rd across the road from aa insurance and tlc learning building.The fish comes from the waters off phuket,snapper i think,and the chips arent local,but a canadian import,still nicer than local potatoes which are useless as fries(hold too much oil and become soggy)
This is the place people have recently been taking about e.g.:
Pagey wrote:I went to the one on Petchakasem near the traffic lights tonight. Small to medium sized fish which was a grey/brown colour, average batter and frozen fries. I asked why they don't do proper chips and the owner replied that the potatoes are shite here. So was that meal. I won't be back.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

maybe english like their batter darker,i like the lightish almost tempura looking batter better,the fish i had was not grey/brown but a whitish colour,and very tasty,i have had the english stlyle fish and chips and find them a bit oily and soggy,i prefer the reef fish and a lighter colour and taste,i always feel a bit queezy after the english style
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

No problem Jingjoe, we all have preferences. It's just not for me. :thumb:

Man in pub circa 1987.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

i have never had a crispy french fry style chip at an english fish and chips,the ones in pattaya use local potatoes,but serve them as wedges and the potato chip style ones seem soggy to me.
Is that how english prefer them?
I prefer a more american style fries or a good buffalo chip if done proper.
Maybe different countries have different tastes
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I'm not a "real" Englishman but grew up eating fish and chips the way the Brits do, so if you ask me, I'd say yes, I think most Brits prefer proper potato chips which do go floppy shortly after they are made, and certainly once you cover them in copious amounts of salt and vinegar.

And, for what it's worth, you can make your chips in a way that prevents them from going all soft and sloppy. If fact I would even go as far as saying that only a VERY inexperienced cook/chef/wife/husband turn out "soggy" chips. They either don't know what they are doing, or else they're dead lazy.

I've got nothing against the frozen fries, and I often buy packets of them from Makro for the kids and I, but if I go out and order fish and chips, I expect fish caught in the sea, and chips as in "chips" rather than French fries.

Just personal choice, so no big deal really.

As a side note: About six months or so ago I peeled a few potatoes and sliced them for making chips, but something cropped up and I had to go out. In the time I was gone our kids started nagging my MIL to make the chips. When I got back, I was quite amused to see the state of the chips, and not at all surprised that the kids never ate them. Of course my MIL is Thai and has never been shown how to make chips so she was forgiven. :D

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

jingjoe wrote:im not sure iif its been mentioned but the kiwi fish and chip shop is by far the best fish and chips i have had in thailand.

Just thought I should mention.............there are countless Kiwis in the UK who stagger home at night while tucking into fish with soggy chips, especially in and around London. Not to worry though, they're often accompanied by Aussies and South Africans. :thumb: :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I have recently returned from a visit to the UK, first for 5 years. I was horrfiied at the cost of restaurant and pub food. I had F& C 3 times, in pubs and chippies. in a chippie--8 pounds and in a pub 13 pounds, (with a pint 850b) every one with lemon wedges and tartare sauce, no sign of mushy peas.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dr Mike wrote:I have recently returned from a visit to the UK, first for 5 years. I was horrfiied at the cost of restaurant and pub food. I had F& C 3 times, in pubs and chippies. in a chippie--8 pounds and in a pub 13 pounds, (with a pint 850b) every one with lemon wedges and tartare sauce, no sign of mushy peas.
Whereabouts Dr. Mike? If in London / the south, mushy peas aren't a given.

Around where I live and also down in Cornwall the other week, I would expect to pay around your 'chippie' price in pubs and less than a fiver (or at my fave place in St. Ives just over a fiver) in a an actual chippie.

Apart from, that is, in my local pub (real ale gastro type place) where a truly magnificent and huge beer battered Hake and chips (triple cooked as is the current vogue) with homemade tartare sauce and a less than magnificent pea puree is £11, but really well worth it.
Talk is cheap
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Please keep this topic to Hua Hin, thanks.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well 'mushies' aren't essential but scraps with the chips are. Anywhere in HH serve 'em?
Chips and scraps.jpg
Chips and scraps.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 531 times
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:Well 'mushies' aren't essential but scraps with the chips are. Anywhere in HH serve 'em?
Chips and scraps.jpg
If it's difficult to find a decent F&C shop in HH, finding one that serves scraps with chips would be like finding Noah's Ark.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Difficult enough to find one that serves proper chips............ :guns:

Man in pub circa 1987.
petercr

Post by petercr »

With Barry closing up on soi 80 we tried out the recently opened place near the Tessaban. Sorry but for us there was no comparison..........Barry served up white fish in a decent batter with home made chips, the new place didn't come close.

Our quest continues :(