Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
MLS
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:14 am

Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by MLS » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi people, and apologies if this subject has already been covered but I can't find a recent thread. Would just like to know if it's worth bringing over our bread-maker so I need to check if Tesco, Villa Market or Makro sell bread flour. Or maybe bakeries?
Should appreciate any info. Thanks!

User avatar
Norseman
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5763
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 12:13 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Norseman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes, Villa Market do sell flour for bread making.

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Norseman wrote:Yes, Villa Market do sell flour for bread making.
As Norseman says, Villa Market do sell a range of bread flours although the best ones are quite expensive. I buy the White Swan brand of bread flour from Makro at about 35 baht for a 1kg bag and it makes perfectly good bread.

User avatar
barrys
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2095
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the sea air on a boat around Pak Nam Pran

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by barrys » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm

We have a breadmaker and it's certainly worthwhile - we've found the best variety of flour to be at Makro Hua Hin - they also have wholewheat and rye flour, for example, as well as yeast, bread improver, milk powder etc.

User avatar
Pedro C
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:46 am

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Pedro C » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

barrys wrote:We have a breadmaker and it's certainly worthwhile - we've found the best variety of flour to be at Makro Hua Hin - they also have wholewheat and rye flour, for example, as well as yeast, bread improver, milk powder etc.
Thanks, that is indeed useful information. I prefer to bake my own white bread.
Basic white bread consists of wheat flour, yeast, water or milk and a little bit o'salt.
Just out of curiosity; What is "bread improver"?? Sounds like a chemical additive but how does it improve the bread and why? Is it really neccessary?
Do they also have "beef improver", "pizza improver" or??

:shock:
Life is short. Especially for those of us who have most of our future behind us.

User avatar
kendo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Southampton.

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by kendo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 am

I think Hua Hin Ham and Bacon Company stock Hovis Flour.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.


Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.

User avatar
dtaai-maai
Addict
Addict
Posts: 9292
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by dtaai-maai » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:24 am

Pedro C wrote:Just out of curiosity; What is "bread improver"?? Sounds like a chemical additive but how does it improve the bread and why? Is it really neccessary?
Do they also have "beef improver", "pizza improver" or?? :shock:
The wonders of google.http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-bread-improver
Cry ‘God for Harry, England, and St George!’

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Dannie Boy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 am

Pedro C wrote:
barrys wrote:We have a breadmaker and it's certainly worthwhile - we've found the best variety of flour to be at Makro Hua Hin - they also have wholewheat and rye flour, for example, as well as yeast, bread improver, milk powder etc.
Thanks, that is indeed useful information. I prefer to bake my own white bread.
Basic white bread consists of wheat flour, yeast, water or milk and a little bit o'salt.
Just out of curiosity; What is "bread improver"?? Sounds like a chemical additive but how does it improve the bread and why? Is it really neccessary?
Do they also have "beef improver", "pizza improver" or??

:shock:
Traditional bread recipies never require the addition of bread improvers and in the heat of Thailand I would say they are definitely not necessary. The White Swan brand of flour that is available from Makro produces quite good bread, maybe not quite as good as something like Hovis flour, but more than acceptable. All I normall add to the yeast in warm water, is a spoonful of sugar and/or honey to ensure a good strong fermentation, other than that its just flour and salt. Bread doesnt keep very well in the high heat/humidity here so slice and freeze it and then take it out as required. I make bread every week and this is a typical result.
Attachments
bread.JPG

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 6195
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Nereus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 am

MLS wrote:Hi people, and apologies if this subject has already been covered but I can't find a recent thread. Would just like to know if it's worth bringing over our bread-maker so I need to check if Tesco, Villa Market or Makro sell bread flour. Or maybe bakeries?
Should appreciate any info. Thanks!
The shop mentioned in the following thread has all types of flour and other baking ingredients:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21961&start=0
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

User avatar
Pedro C
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:46 am

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Pedro C » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:42 pm

By Jove, there IS also a pizza improver!!
http://www.ajwholesale.co.uk/index.php/ ... rover.html
Life is short. Especially for those of us who have most of our future behind us.

User avatar
Pedro C
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:46 am

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Pedro C » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Dannie Boy wrote:
Pedro C wrote:
barrys wrote:We have a breadmaker and it's certainly worthwhile - we've found the best variety of flour to be at Makro Hua Hin - they also have wholewheat and rye flour, for example, as well as yeast, bread improver, milk powder etc.
Thanks, that is indeed useful information. I prefer to bake my own white bread.
Basic white bread consists of wheat flour, yeast, water or milk and a little bit o'salt.
Just out of curiosity; What is "bread improver"?? Sounds like a chemical additive but how does it improve the bread and why? Is it really neccessary?
Do they also have "beef improver", "pizza improver" or??

:shock:
Traditional bread recipies never require the addition of bread improvers and in the heat of Thailand I would say they are definitely not necessary. The White Swan brand of flour that is available from Makro produces quite good bread, maybe not quite as good as something like Hovis flour, but more than acceptable. All I normall add to the yeast in warm water, is a spoonful of sugar and/or honey to ensure a good strong fermentation, other than that its just flour and salt. Bread doesnt keep very well in the high heat/humidity here so slice and freeze it and then take it out as required. I make bread every week and this is a typical result.
Same as I make. Looks great - and you are quite right about slicing and freezing. :cheers:
Life is short. Especially for those of us who have most of our future behind us.

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Dannie Boy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:13 am

[Pedro C wrote /quote]

Traditional bread recipies never require the addition of bread improvers and in the heat of Thailand I would say they are definitely not necessary. The White Swan brand of flour that is available from Makro produces quite good bread, maybe not quite as good as something like Hovis flour, but more than acceptable. All I normall add to the yeast in warm water, is a spoonful of sugar and/or honey to ensure a good strong fermentation, other than that its just flour and salt. Bread doesnt keep very well in the high heat/humidity here so slice and freeze it and then take it out as required. I make bread every week and this is a typical result.[/quote]

Same as I make. Looks great - and you are quite right about slicing and freezing. :cheers:[/quote]

I have a slice of toast for my breakfast every morning and it defrosts in less than half an hour. Well worth the effort of making it, which I actually find quite therapeutic. :thumb:

User avatar
Winkie
Guru
Guru
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Bangkok & Cha Am

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Winkie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

Dannie Boy wrote: I have a slice of toast for my breakfast every morning and it defrosts in less than half an hour. Well worth the effort of making it, which I actually find quite therapeutic. :thumb:
Toasting a slice of Toast is therapeutic?

I'll pay more attention next time! :cheers:
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by Dannie Boy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Winkie wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: I have a slice of toast for my breakfast every morning and it defrosts in less than half an hour. Well worth the effort of making it, which I actually find quite therapeutic. :thumb:
Toasting a slice of Toast is therapeutic?

I'll pay more attention next time! :cheers:
Well spotted Winkie, I was of course referring to the making of the bread :cheers:

MLS
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Can I buy strong bread flour here?

Post by MLS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Many thanks for the replies. Now looking forward to bringing my trusty Panasonic bread maker over on next trip. As an added bonus, the aroma of freshly baked bread of a morning beats the usual stale beer and fags room fragrance from the night before!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests