Your best eating places in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: your best eating places please

Post by BaaBaa. »

You can't have been eating there for 3 years though, he's only been there for about 18 months, he used to run Sabai on 116, Mon is sound though, nice bloke and decent food.

Sabai on 116 is decent too, basically the same menu as Mon.

I'd recommend both.
platinumpools
Rookie
Rookie

Post by platinumpools »

BaaBaa. wrote:
platinumpools wrote:The Pizza Company good pizza good deal at the moment. Buy one get one free until the end of the month.
That's worse than recommending McDonald's as a top burger joint, Pizza Co is dirge.

It serves a purpose but it's like saying the 7/11 micro meals are top Thai cuisine.
Fair enough to a degree. However, some options are better than others (meat deluxe, double cheese for me) and I wouldn't agree there are a whole raft of pizza places vastly superior in town. Part of the post was in reference to the deal. Sure, the bigger boys are never going to get rave reviews by your avid "foodie" but Mac D's, KFC, Subway etc haven't done too bad over the years.

:D
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

BaaBaa. wrote:You can't have been eating there for 3 years though, he's only been there for about 18 months, he used to run Sabai on 116, Mon is sound though, nice bloke and decent food.

Sabai on 116 is decent too, basically the same menu as Mon.

I'd recommend both.
Of course you're right about that. I lived in that soi for 3 years, but Mr. Mon hasn't been there for longer than about 18 months as you mention :)
YNWA
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

platinumpools wrote:Sure, the bigger boys are never going to get rave reviews by your avid "foodie" but Mac D's, KFC, Subway etc haven't done too bad over the years.
Those brands make money by pleasing the needs of the lowest common denominator diners. The rest of us think their food is better than going hungry, but not by much.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Whatever you feelings about ff places I am sure newcomers need no intoduction to them.
There are 2 places that I find interesting as they are totally Thai but cooking non-Thai food.
The first is Sakura on Soi 94--the owner a great Thai guy spent years in the US, Chicago I think, and worked in a Japanese restaurant--So he has opened a Japanese place in HH. Excellent and good price.
The other is Grand Steak in the night market next to San Paolo Hospital. Glad they didnt call it Great Steak, cus it isnt.
It has a number of meals Chicken breast, Pork steak, Fried fish, probably steak but as I'm not a beef eater I don't check that out, all with fries and salad for--wait for it---79baht. The rstaurant is totally Thai--VERY popular with Scandinavian tourists.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Homer wrote:
platinumpools wrote:Sure, the bigger boys are never going to get rave reviews by your avid "foodie" but Mac D's, KFC, Subway etc haven't done too bad over the years.
Those brands make money by pleasing the needs of the lowest common denominator diners. The rest of us think their food is better than going hungry, but not by much.
Yes and one of the things about Thailand is that you can get excellent food at all times of the day and night when in other countries you might be floundering on the beach at McDonalds and the like.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

thanks for all the replies very interesting. Thai food will be the main staple of the holiday of course. pizzza seems a no go. I know where I'm going for sushi, want to try fish and chips. but no recommendations for a great indian curry ??

will pop into JW's again no doubt for some decent grub

Cheers

Ahandpatsy
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I might have some very good Indian curries in the bar very soon, will keep you posted - these are the real i am btw!

See you soon :)
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

huahin4ever wrote:There is a small restaurant on Soi 112 just 100 meters past 7/11 which is called Mr. Mon. I would very much recommend this place. I lived in this soi for 3 years and ate there a lot. It is very affordable prices and the thai food is excellent. Some of the thai food is even westernalized a bit so this place has become very popular among farangs in this area. But that said, the thai food is very nice. Even my wife says that the way he/his wife cooks is very good. Dishes I would recommend are: Tum Yum (either with prawns or chicken), deepfried pork with garlic, sweet and sour pork, fried chicken with cashews, Tum Yum Plah(clear soup with fish). The last one is one of my wife's favourites (she orders it spicy hot like the flames in Hell :twisted: ). He also make standard farang dishes and he makes breakfast too. Prices are cheap. Around 50-100 baht for the main dishes.
I also recommend Mr Mon. A really nice guy who speaks English well. If You prefer take away, he will give You a menu to take home. Just call him and order what You like. Get on Your bike and pick up the food after around 15 minutes. Works perfectly all the time.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

my original list had shoemaker as an aside. anyone know where i can get shoes made. a strange request i admit
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

My only complaint with Mon (or maybe my gfs preference) is his wife cooks on the sweet side, that's just personal preference, I recommend him, great service and friendly.

I've also had the odd piss up with Mon after hours on 116, good guy I class as a mate.
Angelique

Post by Angelique »

ahandpatsy wrote:my original list had shoemaker as an aside. anyone know where i can get shoes made. a strange request i admit
Do you mean Shoemakerbox/Skomakarlåda?
I have been eating that in Roggans Restaurant:)
Put a name in FaceBook and you will find adress etc.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Angelique wrote:
ahandpatsy wrote:my original list had shoemaker as an aside. anyone know where i can get shoes made. a strange request i admit
I think you will find this has nothing to do with food and that he wants some shoes made here in HH.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Angelique wrote:
I think you will find this has nothing to do with food and that he wants some shoes made here in HH.
Or maybe the OP wants to get some shoes made from local "beef". :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

platinumpools wrote:Can vouch for Linn's. Cooked breakfast excellent and good value. Tried other dishes
and all hit the mark. On Petchkasem about 300m on the left before the Police
Station lights if you're heading North.

Also, Jungle Juice bar near the Hilton does a good brekkie.

Enjoy :D

Sorry mate having a dizzy period...

So Linn' s is on the same side Market Village going North towards Cha Am 300 m before the Police station Lights?

:cheers: