The Wine Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Re: Wine

Post by arcadianagain »

nickswift wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone - will get her to bring a box of decent stuff she likes, stay away from montclair and look for jimberoo after first boxed finished
Would a box of wine get through Thai customs legally?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

arcadianagain wrote:
nickswift wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone - will get her to bring a box of decent stuff she likes, stay away from montclair and look for jimberoo after first boxed finished
Would a box of wine get through Thai customs legally?
No, strange as it may seem, you are only allowed to bring in one litre of alcohol be it spirit or wine
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Jimberoo (from Australia) is ok for a box red wine and much, much better that the Montclair box wine.
It has proved very popular in the gf's bar and café in Kao Kaolok at 80 baht for a large glass.
However, Jimberoo has been pretty hard to get lately.
An alternative is Cedar Creek at around the same price as Jimberoo (approx. 870 baht for 4 1/2 litres, making it no more expensive than Montclair).
A little more expensive, but much nicer wine is the 3-litre box of Caminos from Chile, either as a straight Cabernet Sauvignon or my particular favourite at the moment, a Cabernet-Merlot blend.
If you haggle a bit, you can get it for 750 baht from the Indian booze store near the Grand Market.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

barrys wrote: However, Jimberoo has been pretty hard to get lately.
Whisper it softly, but Mrs DM bought a box at HH Macro this morning.
This is the way
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

dtaai-maai wrote:
barrys wrote: However, Jimberoo has been pretty hard to get lately.
Whisper it softly, but Mrs DM bought a box at HH Macro this morning.
We'll be round at the weekend then, ok!? :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

my sala.jpg
my sala.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
This is the way
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Jimberoo Soft Dry Red
@ Macro
869thb/box

:rasta:
GN.
Attachments
Mao mak.JPG
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Ginjaninja wrote:Jimberoo Soft Dry Red
@ Macro
869thb/box

:rasta:
GN.
I agree. I bought today the red... Very ok. Also bought the white and will try tomorrow. :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
barbera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by barbera »

I'm very curious about these two Thay Wines:
1) P.B. VALLEY KHAO YAI WINERY
2) GRAN MONTE
Has anybody ever tried these two red wines?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Wine, like pizza and beers is up to the taste of the consumer, but having lived near the wine area in California for many years I realized what types of wine I like best. I drink a lot of wine and can't justify the price per bottle here so I've done extensive research on boxed wines.

Jimbaroo, recommended by a couple of my friends on here, is a girly wine in my humble opinion. It's just too soft and too sweet the same as the American Peter Vella boxed wine that some of my American friends prefer. They just have no character.

I like a full bodied red wine with a lot of tannin and I've found (among the boxed wines and I think I've tried them all) Cedar Creek Shiraz (Australia, not the Shiraz Cabernet combo by the same company) to be the best to suit my tastes at 4.5 liters for just under 900 baht.

I also like dry fruity (chardonnay type) white wines and, sad to say that I have tried most of the boxed ones here and haven't found a better tasting one than Mont Clare at 900 baht per 5 liter box (whether it's real wine or not, it's a damned good imitation).

Due to wine pricing here and the volume I consume I have become somewhat of a boxed wine snob. :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Ok HHF, I generally agree with you, but do you not think the higher temperatures here takes one off the full bodied red wines - or do you add the odd ice cube?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

hhfarang wrote: ....having lived near the wine area in California for many years I realized what types of wine I like best. I drink a lot of wine and can't justify the price per bottle here so I've done extensive research on boxed wines.

I like a full bodied red wine with a lot of tannin ...

Due to wine pricing here and the volume I consume I have become somewhat of a boxed wine snob. :D
Hi HHF,

Recently found a Californian boxed red wine (Cab-Sauv) that just might float your boat :cheers:
Available from World Class Wines - on the left side of Petchasem going north - opposite soi 47/1 - ca. 750 baht/3 litres.
Just trying a glass or 3 now (to be sure, to be sure) and it really isn't bad at all :wink:

http://www.almaden.com
Attachments
Almaden California.jpg
Almaden California.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

musungu wrote:Ok HHF, I generally agree with you, but do you not think the higher temperatures here takes one off the full bodied red wines - or do you add the odd ice cube?
I know a number of people here that against normal protocol, serve their red wine from the fridge the same as white - I've tried it and its not bad, especially if you allow it to "warm" slightly.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Dannie Boy wrote:
musungu wrote:Ok HHF, I generally agree with you, but do you not think the higher temperatures here takes one off the full bodied red wines - or do you add the odd ice cube?
I know a number of people here that against normal protocol, serve their red wine from the fridge the same as white - I've tried it and its not bad, especially if you allow it to "warm" slightly.
The adage that red wine should be served at "room temperature" evidently comes from the European pre-central heating age in wine-growing areas, where the typical indoor temperature was 14-18°.
Certainly not the above 30°C temperatures we have here.

I have 2 wine coolers - 1 for red and 1 for white set at the temperatures recommended on the following and other sites: http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/o ... ture.shtml
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Ok HHF, I generally agree with you, but do you not think the higher temperatures here takes one off the full bodied red wines - or do you add the odd ice cube?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ice in wine is even worse than ice in beer, neither of which I tolerate, unless only warm beer or warm white wine is available and then as little ice as it takes to cool it a little and hopefully not water it down!!!!!!! :|

Maybe the heavier wines are not meant for 30+ degree centigrade temperatures, but I assure that the room where I store and drink my wine never reaches that temperature. :wink: :D :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?