Free range garden eggs

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Free range garden eggs

Post by barrys »

Tried a comparison test yesterday.

Had the last one of Takiab's eggs and one shop-bought egg left.
Poached them as usual - the difference in taste and flavour was huge - in favour of the free range egg, of course.

So see you on Tuesday Takiab for another tray and a cold one or three!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

prcscct wrote:She put steroids in the feed, right? :shock: :duck:

:laugh: She probably would if they being dished out for free. :laugh:

I was actually reading a few articles about a year or two ago about all this sort of thing, and it seems the use of steroids died out years ago since the extra costs outweighed the benefits (profits). Antibiotics on the other hand are still used across the board since they are cheap to manufacture and they're effective at preventing disease. From what I was able to find out, all commercial chicken farmers and egg farmers give their birds antibiotics. Not to worry though since these medications don't pose any risk to humans, and besides, if you avoid your meds from one source, you'll get you fair share from elsewhere. So, even if you eat untainted free range eggs, you're still going to get your share of livestock antibiotics the next time you tuck into a commercially raised chicken.

I've managed to dodge some of it since we get our own eggs and I mostly only eat chicken we've raised ourselves at home. I also like to believe that the beef I eat comes from the cows we see grazing in the fields around here, in which case I doubt they'll be medicated. :laugh: With pork I just have to turn a blind eye because given the scale of the pork industry in Thailand, I hate to think what goes on behind the scenes. :shock:

:cheers: :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I also like to believe that the beef I eat comes from the cows we see grazing in the fields around here, in which case I doubt they'll be medicated
If they are the same poor skinny miserable animals that get driven up the real part of Soi 6, then I doubt that they would be possible to eat--antibiotics or not!

Where I come from the RSPCA would confiscate the animals and put the owner behind bars!
It is a damn disgrace and just another example of how this so called "Buddhist society" regard animals. :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

the eggs were lovely, with a beautiful orange colour yolk
will for sure call round again
nice to have met you, best regards to your mrs
keep up the good work ! :thumb:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

joelle wrote:the eggs were lovely, with a beautiful orange colour yolk
will for sure call round again
nice to have met you, best regards to your mrs
keep up the good work ! :thumb:

You're most welcome, but don't forget to take our Dalmatian with you the next time you come around. :laugh:

Jokes aside, I noticed her smiling (sort of baring her teeth) at you when you were making a fuss of her. Apart from with me, she very rarely does that. In fact, I think there have only seen one or two instances where she has done it. Apparently quite a common trait with the breed, but certainly not with our old girl. :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Frank Hovis wrote:There's a muslim dairy off the Chom Pol road near Huay Sai Tai, is that the one you are thinking of ?

About here on google (not exactly here though) 12.662301,99.919449.

If you travel that road there are always loads of pickups with milk churns on the back, by the state of the trucks most of it will be cheese before it gets to the dairy.

Thanks Frank. I eventually went on my search and find mission today and I've just returned home with three liters of milk straight from the cows. :thumb: :thumb:

I was actually quite amazed at just how many small dairy farms there are up that stretch of road. Something else which struck me was the lack of garbage along the roadside and the fact that I never noticed a single soi dog.

Lots of smiles from everyone and a very nice and peaceful atmosphere, and certainly quite different compared to most areas which are buried beneath litter. Anyway, since I was in the area, I also asked about buying lamb or goat meat, and was soon following a very good looking Muslim girl who took me to a place where I was able buy some packaged and frozen with a choice of bone in or bone out.

I guess I'll be a local customer now. :thumb:

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

^ Sounds good,maybe when I return I try it out and make some goat cheese. :D :D

:cheers: :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I'm not sure if you'll find goats milk in the area, but you never know because there are goats everywhere.

I just got cows milk today and some goat meat which I'll be using for curry and some stew. :P

I just had some of the milk now that it's nice and cold, and it's great. Not quite the same as the milk I got back in SA, but certainly a trillion times better that the white water they sell in the shops. :thumb: Hell, what a huge difference.

:cheers: :thumb:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I also asked about buying lamb or goat meat
Did they have lamb at sensible prices? I'm not sure what I mean by sensible but let's say "less than imported NZ lamb at Villa Market. "
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Takiap wrote:I'm not sure if you'll find goats milk in the area, but you never know because there are goats everywhere.

I just got cows milk today and some goat meat which I'll be using for curry and some stew. :P

I just had some of the milk now that it's nice and cold, and it's great. Not quite the same as the milk I got back in SA, but certainly a trillion times better that the white water they sell in the shops. :thumb: Hell, what a huge difference.

:cheers: :thumb:
:idea: :idea: Now I start dreaming for my next visit; free range eggs,homemade bread,goat cheese,sausage and fresh cow milk. :munch: :munch: :clap: :clap: :sun: :sun: :dance: :dance:

:cheers: :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Frank Hovis wrote:
Did they have lamb at sensible prices? I'm not sure what I mean by sensible but let's say "less than imported NZ lamb at Villa Market. "

I think if one looked around the area you might find some lamb but since it was already getting quite late, I never bothered. Also, I do know that goat meat can and is often used as a substitute for mutton in curries, so I've been long to try some goat meat myself.

As far as lamb is concerned..........have you tried Makro? They usually have quite a bit of it in stock and the prices seem quite reasonable. My guess is, a lot cheaper VM.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:
Frank Hovis wrote:

I think if one looked around the area you might find some lamb but since it was already getting quite late, I never bothered. Also, I do know that goat meat can and is often used as a substitute for mutton in curries, so I've been long to try some goat meat myself.

As far as lamb is concerned..........have you tried Makro? They usually have quite a bit of it in stock and the prices seem quite reasonable. My guess is, a lot cheaper VM.
I was in Makro yesterday and after a week or so without any, fresh NZ lamb was back and as you say, at very reasonable prices.

Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I'll check out Makro and maybe a trip up to Hauy Sai Tai.

Thanks Takiap.
marcelq
Novice
Novice

Post by marcelq »

Takiap,

Would you know where to buy the chickens? I would like to have some egg layers at home.

Thanks!
Marcel
Takiap wrote:Mods, if this is overstepping the line, please feel free to lock or delete.

My MIL has gone ahead and acquired about 25 REAL chickens and as a result, she is now getting more eggs than we could ever hope to eat. Our chickens are free range since s it's their job to keep the beastie population down. We do supplement their diet with some cracked corn, vegetables and fruit, so they are living good.

At present we are getting 15 to 20 eggs per day so I have promised my MIL that I would try and put the word out to see if anyone would be interested in buy fresh eggs from her. Depending on how many eggs a person orders, the chances are all the eggs will have been laid on the day you order.

We stay in Borfai so I'm sure she would be willing to deliver free of charge as well if you stay nearby, or for a small fee if you stay further afield.

Please note though, that since these are true free range eggs, they are not all identical in terms of color or size. What I can say though, is that you'll see the difference the minute you crack the eggs open.

Anyway, if interested just PM me, or post on here. :thumb: