Free range garden eggs

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Free range garden eggs

Post by richard »

Well now we've all sorted out how to cook eggs and we have Delia and Jamie tied up in knots can we move on to my forthcoming free range bacon?.

Be a while though as I haven't yet got the piglets :run:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:Be a while though as I haven't yet got the piglets :run:
We saw it on the BBQ last week.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I think that even if the micro say 850 watt it's not the same to every micro thats my experience but I can not explain why. :oops: :oops:

:cheers: :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Dannie Boy wrote:Get yourself some hens for fresh eggs or cadge them from somebody you know, add eggs to a saucepan of gently boiling water and after 3.1/2 to 4 minutes you have perfectly poached eggs :cheers:

Absolutely correct DB. As I mentioned before, I tried you method using fresh eggs and they came out perfect. Nonetheless, I wanted to try the "nuke" method as well, and despite the fact that the first attempt was not a total success, I'll most like try again later.

BB, judging from the one egg which didn't eggsplode, I'd hate to see what 90 seconds in the microwave would produce. My one surviving egg was, to use Barry's description, very similar to concrete. Maybe I'm just destined to eat scrambled eggs (farang style), fried eggs or French toast. :laugh:

Just got a bit sick and tired of Thai omelettes I guess although I do like a Farang style omelettes. I just can't seem to make the damn things. In fact, now that I think about it, to hell with the eggs.......Hat Yai fried chicken with sticky rice is just fine for breakfast, as is Jok or Khao Tom. :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

richard wrote:Well now we've all sorted out how to cook eggs and we have Delia and Jamie tied up in knots can we move on to my forthcoming free range bacon?.

Be a while though as I haven't yet got the piglets :run:

Don't put ideas in my head Richard. As a matter of interest, does anyone know how much baby piglets cost, and where you can get them. Not sure If I would want to do the slaughtering, but FIL wouldn't think twice. :laugh:

Next mission.......to find someone that can supply me with fresh milk, straight from the cow. Hell, I'd even give up beer. Well, not quite but fresh milk is really superb. I've asked a couple of local Thais who have cows, but they just say "no good", while the real reason is of course because it's just to much hassle. :cry:

Anyone got some land they aren't using? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

theres a area between hua hin and cha am where there is a big area with cows stables in a I think muslim community.
From a city boys view they looks like cows who prowides milk and not the skinny ones,I now skinny cows gives milk to :wink: :wink:

Its near some mountains between petchekam and highway 4.

When I come back from koh phangan I will check it out and tell you monday, when I se you for fresh egs. :D :D

Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

There's a muslim dairy off the Chom Pol road near Huay Sai Tai, is that the one you are thinking of ?

About here on google (not exactly here though) 12.662301,99.919449.

If you travel that road there are always loads of pickups with milk churns on the back, by the state of the trucks most of it will be cheese before it gets to the dairy.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

If it's a proper dairy the milk will be pasteurized before it leaves the premises, but I might be able to get them to let me have some before it goes through any machinery - from cow to bucket to bottle. :D

If I remember correctly though, it only keeps for about two days in the fridge, so I'd have to make regular collections, or simply have it as a treat once a week or so. I used to buy milk like this from an old farmer in SA who was a recluse stuck in the last century, and it was really great stuff and nothing like that which you get in the shops.

If this place you guys mentioned is a legit dairy, they might not be willing to sell me any though because doing so might be illegal. Then again, TIT.

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If it's a proper dairy the milk will be pasteurized before it leaves the premises, but I might be able to get them to let me have some before it goes through any machinery - from cow to bucket to bottle
Not sure how you figure that out mate. I grew up on a dairy farm and the process of pasteurising milk, or anything else for that matter, involves expensive machinery which will not be found on any farm. Fresh milk kept for a few days in a fridge will allow a nice layer of cream to form on the top if undisturbed. Most milk processing also involves homogenising, which means that no cream will form. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Okay, I stand to be corrected. As a kid I spent a few years in a Catholic boarding school out in the country that produced practically all of it's own food. There were poultry houses for egg layers, poultry houses for broilers, pigs, cows and horses. Pupils at the school were not expected to get involved in any of that, but those of us who chose to do horse riding and horse jumping were responsible for our horses. It was our job to make sure they were fed, their stables cleaned and etc. I spent plenty of time down by the dairy as well, and the milk was all processed on site so I just assumed all dairy farms would be the same. Everything was automated, although I did get to learn how to milk a cow with the mechanical milkers. Also great fun trying to stay on the back of a young bull calf. :laugh: I know I know, real rodeo ride grown up bulls. :oops:

So, not all dairy farms destroy their milk......they send it away to be destroyed. :D You're absolutely right about the cream. I wouldn't say a layer of cream forms though because there's usually loads of it, which of course is why I like unprocessed milk.

Now, Richard, how much progress have you made regarding piglets? :D
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Frank Hovis wrote:There's a muslim dairy off the Chom Pol road near Huay Sai Tai, is that the one you are thinking of ?

About here on google (not exactly here though) 12.662301,99.919449.

If you travel that road there are always loads of pickups with milk churns on the back, by the state of the trucks most of it will be cheese before it gets to the dairy.
yes I think thats the place,was only driving around and somehow ented up there.

I only se a lot of cows and not really big stables so I think it should be possible to buy some milk.

If my memory is correct you follow the channel road and turn left at the crossing where they building a new
temple on your right and just follow that road and you can miss it.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks, I'll definitely go and take a look.

On a slightly different not, We Have Lift Off........my 60 baht poacher does indeed work :D, as long as I don't follow the instructions. :shock: :laugh:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:my 60 baht poacher does indeed work :D
:party:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't see a photo on here of this 60 Baht miracle device. Someone should post one for the records....perhaps with the finished product in it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At breakfast tomorrow morning, if I remember, and nobody post one before me.

Points 41; Position 18