Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Post by bsdk1960 »

We just tried this one ,very good food ,but do remember to tell them if you want real Indian food or Indian food for farrang :D

Royal Indian Hua Hin Restaurant
soi 61 ( beach road ) police station -old post office
Damnoen Kasem, Tambon Hua Hin, Amphoe Hua Hin, Chang Wat Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110, Thailand
huahinindianrestaurant.com
+66 87 528 8640

open every day from 0.90 - 23.30 they state but i'm not sure call first to be sure

12.569184, 99.960736

https://www.google.com/maps/search/12.5 ... QQ8gEIJjAA

:cheers: :cheers:
binlid
Amateur
Amateur

Post by binlid »

Cheers BSDK1960, will give it a go and report when we arrive.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

One to avoid is Everest on the junction on Poonsuk and soi Kanjanomai (where the Thupurai hotel is). Earlier, I had one of those cravings you get for an Indian from to time. Nothing else would do.

I actually went to Mehfil, opposite the Hilton, which I ate at once before and although pricey, the food was excellent. But I couldn't get in! There was a bike with a side car completely blocking the entrance while making a delivery and it was raining. There was no way through and after standing there like a lemon for a couple of minutes, I'd had enough and remembered seeing the place above, which seems quite new, so I wandered around and it looked okay.

So they gave me some free poppadum's and three dips to start with, 2 of the 3 dips were perfectly fine. My starter of veggie pakora consisted of individual vegetables coated with a type of soft batter and tasted of nothing at all really, other than of individual vegetables cooked in some sort of soft batter. I played a guessing game with what the veg was, a cauliflower floret was easy enough, as was the onion, otherwise I was clueless, apart from the chilli one. Yup, that's a single chilli in this softish sort of batter, that was a bit tasty, but not in a nice way! No dip was provided as an accompaniment.

Naturally, by this stage, I wasn't expecting much of my chicken jalfrezi and I wasn't disappointed. It bore no real resemblance to a curry, yet alone a Jalfrezi. It was just chunks of chicken in a tomatoey sauce with an overall taste of rancid chilli. I didn't eat much. I just had plain steamed rice served with the 'curry' and I'm glad I did, I saved some money rather than risk another type of rice.

I had a garlic naan as well, as least that's what the menu called it. It didn't really have the appearance or texture of naan and nor could I tasted any garlic, maybe because it was burnt?

To be honest, it's my fault really, any restaurant that has an 'international' and Thai menu, as well as an Indian one, is unlikely to provide the real McCoy.

Next time, I'll just be patient and wait in the rain if I need to.
Talk is cheap
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Good food at Take 5 Kao Takiab
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

bsdk1960 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:54 pm We just tried this one ,very good food ,but do remember to tell them if you want real Indian food or Indian food for farrang :D
Stupid question I'm guessing, but why different for Thais? :?

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

pharvey wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:57 am
bsdk1960 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:54 pm We just tried this one ,very good food ,but do remember to tell them if you want real Indian food or Indian food for farrang :D
Stupid question I'm guessing, but why different for Thais? :?

Not sure what you mean ,but my experiense whit many restaurants ,be thai,indian ,middle east or others they dont allways cook the same way to a forrenger that they would cook to their native people,because they are affraid it could be to spicy or that people dont like the flavor of some food.

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

JimmyGreaves wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 pm Good food at Take 5 Kao Takiab
Completely agree, it's opposite Amari Hotel, British Curry House style food, and live music usually after 9.00 pm I think. Prices v. good too. And they have some screens for live sports. They are doing a buffet now on Saturday evening but didn't try it yet.

There's an international style menu too.

It was Zafran near the Hilton before they moved, same chef.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ic-Hu.html
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Which is why Thai food in the west is so disappointing.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 pm Which is why Thai food in the west is so disappointing.
Which post was that in reply to? We're talking about Indian food.

If mine, I spent 12 years in Dubai and ate a huge amount of 'proper' Indian and Pakistani food. Dubai also has a Brick Lane take away place which I also used from time to time (Brick Lane being the East London street where Indians own many restaurants, I don't think there's a Thai equivalent in the UK). Both styles are tasty in their own way, just as Chongqing spicy hotpot (Huoguo) cooked by a Chinese is totally different to British-chinese style special fried rice and kung pao prawns from the takeaway on the corner. But I crave both from time to time. I'm under no illusion which is considered 'authentic' but that doesn't concern me.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

if you like the taste of the food it doesn't matter if it's "authentic" or not. I used to eat at a Thai restaurant in San Destin , Fl. that was as good as anywhere I've eaten in Thailand. if you've never been to India how would you know if the taste was "authentic"? beware the food police.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:46 am if you like the taste of the food it doesn't matter if it's "authentic" or not. I used to eat at a Thai restaurant in San Destin , Fl. that was as good as anywhere I've eaten in Thailand. if you've never been to India how would you know if the taste was "authentic"? beware the food police.
beware of the handdrummer guru

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:46 am if you like the taste of the food it doesn't matter if it's "authentic" or not. I used to eat at a Thai restaurant in San Destin , Fl. that was as good as anywhere I've eaten in Thailand. if you've never been to India how would you know if the taste was "authentic"? beware the food police.
I agree it doesn't matter, and this is also is maybe getting too close to the confused idea of cultural appropriation. Two American women selling street tacos in the US have had people trying to take legal action against them because they're not Mexican!

In Dubai, I ate a lot of food cooked for Indians by Indians, Pakistanis the same. Small shops where you never see a white face (except my drunken mug at 2.00 maybe). So I can say that although I never went to India I can be 99 percent sure I've tasted authentic Subcontinent food on a lot of occasions. I can honestly say I enjoy the taste as much at the Brit-style Indian at Take 5. Neither is superior (both are cooked by an Indian though :D ).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

99% is a high enough number. I will try Take 5, Paul Desmond not withstanding.

I've played music with people from India so I may be guilty of cultural appropriation. ditto for Reggae and Jazz, not to mention European classical music, Brazilian, Cuban, etc. it's a good thing I'm using an alias or I'd be spending all my time in court. Oh wait, this isn't the U.S. Phew!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm 99% is a high enough number. I will try Take 5, Paul Desmond not withstanding.

I've played music with people from India so I may be guilty of cultural appropriation. ditto for Reggae and Jazz, not to mention European classical music, Brazilian, Cuban, etc. it's a good thing I'm using an alias or I'd be spending all my time in court. Oh wait, this isn't the U.S. Phew!
:P Yep I think we're far enough away from 'The West' not to have to worry about people with those sensitivities yet. I wore black/grey shirts or a black ribbon pinned to my shirt for several months after the King died to show respect, and I wasn't accused of trying to pass as Thai; those that did comment said they appreciated the action.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm 99% is a high enough number. I will try Take 5, Paul Desmond not withstanding.

what does Indian food in Hua Hin have to do with who you played with,and going to court in the U.S. ?

:offtopic: