Mexican food!

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Re: Mexican food!

Post by m_right »

dundrillin wrote:Cantaloupe island Soi 61 they make a point of saying its Mexican not Tex Mex. Usually a good band playing jazz,blues(light) The night I went the food was first class,as was the service . Quite expensive by Thai standards but worth every penny or baht. When I get back over I will certainly go again.
Ate there Friday night. Not a good experience. I didn't know that a band was going to play so that conversation is limited. Indeed expensive but the service is very good. The food was almost inedible. Everything was way to salty. All nine of us agreed. A real shame. We sent some back and they apologized but couldn't do anything about it.
Normally I don't do Mexican food when not in the Americas like I don't eat Thai food there. I lived in Mexico for two years and when I lived in the U.S. I had access to Mexican food cooked by Mexicans. I am spoiled so I won't tell people not to go there but I won't recommend it either.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Sunrise taco is a big multi centered chain in bkk, started close to sukhumvit/asok, I was never that impressed.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

oakdale160 wrote:Sunrise taco is a big multi centered chain in bkk, started close to sukhumvit/asok, I was never that impressed.
I like it and eat there every chance I get, they must be doing something right because they keep expanding franchises. I asked one of the managers about Hua Hin he said they don't have trained staff to open in Hua Hin.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Sunrise is ok, and I've eaten there several times, but it is a chain franchise, which puts it somewhere between Taco Bell and a real "one off" Mexican or Tex Mex restaruant so don't expect it to be the best.

Sadly, I had much the same experience as m_right in the local "real Mexican" restaurant, but it was under another name and located in the night market at that time. I doubt I'll ever go back.

Mexican food styles are very different and what you like depends on your personal taste or maybe what you grew up eating. I grew up eating Tex Mex (in Tennessee) and later California Mex (in California) as well as real North American Mexican food in a small town in California that was close to where I worked. It was a Mexican town in the U.S. where 90% of the population were Mexican American so it was Mexican food made by and for people of Mexican heritage, but I loved it to. I've been to Mexico many times and liked some of the food there, but not most. I think even in Mexico, like in Thailand, there are different styles of food regionally so you may love one and not care for another.

In my humble and very personal opinion Terrace 90 still ranks number one locally, and I think I've tried them all as I really like Mexican food. I'm not saying I like every dish on their menu but overall the style they make is my favorite with a few exceptions. One exception example is their "pregnant" burrito. This is actually closer to a real Mexican burrito than the Tex Mex burritos I've had. I don't like rice inside a burrito, I prefer it on the side. The first time I ever had rice inside a burrito was in California at a "real" Mexican place, but Terrace90 has so many choices (including a "regular" burrito) that I never had a problem finding a dish there that suits my tastes.

I've even tried a number of places in Bangkok and Terrace90 wins that match too for me.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
james r
Novice
Novice

Post by james r »

zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Not bad, 2 posts and both glittering recommendations of some bar on 94...hmmm
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

hhfarang wrote:Sunrise is ok, and I've eaten there several times, but it is a chain franchise, which puts it somewhere between Taco Bell and a real "one off" Mexican or Tex Mex restaruant so don't expect it to be the best.

Sadly, I had much the same experience as m_right in the local "real Mexican" restaurant, but it was under another name and located in the night market at that time. I doubt I'll ever go back.

Mexican food styles are very different and what you like depends on your personal taste or maybe what you grew up eating. I grew up eating Tex Mex (in Tennessee) and later California Mex (in California) as well as real North American Mexican food in a small town in California that was close to where I worked. It was a Mexican town in the U.S. where 90% of the population were Mexican American so it was Mexican food made by and for people of Mexican heritage, but I loved it to. I've been to Mexico many times and liked some of the food there, but not most. I think even in Mexico, like in Thailand, there are different styles of food regionally so you may love one and not care for another.

In my humble and very personal opinion Terrace 90 still ranks number one locally, and I think I've tried them all as I really like Mexican food. I'm not saying I like every dish on their menu but overall the style they make is my favorite with a few exceptions. One exception example is their "pregnant" burrito. This is actually closer to a real Mexican burrito than the Tex Mex burritos I've had. I don't like rice inside a burrito, I prefer it on the side. The first time I ever had rice inside a burrito was in California at a "real" Mexican place, but Terrace90 has so many choices (including a "regular" burrito) that I never had a problem finding a dish there that suits my tastes.

I've even tried a number of places in Bangkok and Terrace90 wins that match too for me.
I only eat Mexican about once every year due to having had numerous bad meals resulting in keeping close to my bathroom for days after. Well I was looking for a Sunday roast and saw an advert that mentioned Terrace 90 as a good option. Off I go with the babe, eventually found the place and sat down and ordered some drinks before finding that they may do steaks but no longer the roast. Yes I should have walked but I had a sudden urge to eat Mexican. Had the 'peppers stuffed with cream cheese' and then a 'chimichanga'. I am happy to report that the food tasted good and most importantly there were no after effects.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Vince & Lin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vince & Lin »

barrys wrote:
dundrillin wrote:Cantaloupe island Soi 61 they make a point of saying its Mexican not Tex Mex. Usually a good band playing jazz,blues(light) The night I went the food was first class,as was the service . Quite expensive by Thai standards but worth every penny or baht. When I get back over I will certainly go again.

Yes, this restaurant is owned by Coco 51 and they basically bought out Magaritas.
The Mexican guy who owned Margaritas stayed with them at Cantaloupe Island for a while to train all the staff but has now finished.

We went there a couple of months back and it was very good - basically the same menu as Margaritas plus a few more dishes
Can any tell me if they do the Chorizo Empenadas like Margarita's did. I was so looking forward to the food there. It is nice to know he trained the chefs at Cantaloupe Island.
Thanks,
Lin