Mexican food!

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Mexican food!

Post by kendo »

On this trip over I tried the Mexican food at Cantaloupe I had the Beef Enchiladas and I must say it was way to salty I only ate half of it and felt a bit disappointed as I had eaten twice before when Margaritas was up at the night market.

I also had two very nice meals at Terrace 90 with Big Boy and family both times I had Mexican food and ribs to die for, the food at T90 is excellent this will become a regular place to eat on my visits to Hua Hin.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

Terrace90 wrote:We only wanted to help clarify the differences between Mexican and Tex Mex. Many who have not lived down Texas way just do not know.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We continue to sell large amounts of Tex Mex to our repeat customers. We are now in our eight year selling Tex Mex as well as Steaks, BBQ Ribs, Chops, Burgers, which says it all.
Thanks Hua Hin
Sorry - the 'history lesson' along with about 8 or 11 Leos, really got up my nose last night. I rarely say anything about food I don't like.

With one notable exception, most of those Texans were Mexicans. It ain't like Joe Bob and buncha good old boys got together and messed up mama's Mexican food.

To be fair, I doubt you could find a more difficult customer to please than I am when it comes to Tex-Mex or New-Mex food. Your Tex-Mex is no worse than the other offerings in town. I wasn't all that crazy about Margarita's, but talked it up a little because I liked the owners so much.
"We're all living proof nothing lasts" - Jay Farrar
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I'll have to say that the Mexican food at Terrace 90 were very good. Good prices too. I'll be going again if my Mexican food urge surfaces again :D :thumb:
YNWA
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I always find it a little odd that here in Thailand most people view Mexican Food as a luxury and eating at a Mexican food restaurant is like a really fine dining experience.
In the U.S. most people just view Mexican food in the same light as McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc. and they just eat Mexican food at Taco Bell or Del Taco.
But every country is different, and Thailand is a long ways from Mexico. :| :)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Name Taken wrote:I always find it a little odd that here in Thailand most people view Mexican Food as a luxury and eating at a Mexican food restaurant is like a really fine dining experience.
In the U.S. most people just view Mexican food in the same light as McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc. and they just eat Mexican food at Taco Bell or Del Taco.
But every country is different, and Thailand is a long ways from Mexico. :| :)
Not that odd if you give it a moment's thought, though I would call it a pleasant change rather than fine dining. Mexico is next door to the US, but quite a long way from Europe (and Asia, of course), nor has Europe been inundated with Mexican immigrants. Mexican food to a Yank, especially a southern Yank, must be like fish 'n chips or an Indian to most Brits.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Exactly DM, Mexican food to someone from the U.S. is like Indian food to Britons!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps we could say it's America's Issan food?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

I have always enjoyed Terrace 90 and it has always ben busy. No expert on Mexican food but I really like it. While in Pattaya, we always visit the Mexican restaurant in soi 6 or 7. I can't remember its name.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My experience of Mexican / Tex Mex food (whatever) in the UK is of a gloopy mess with added mushy peas! :D

Surely it can't be any worse, anywhere!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:a gloopy mess with added mushy peas! :D
I knew there was something special about Tex Mex :)
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Holy guacam - oh never mind! :roll: :laugh:
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A feature in many american cities are food trucks selling Mexican food. I have seen many of these type of trucks in thai selling drinks but not food trucks.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yep, I had a "breakfast burrito" from a drive by food truck many mornings when I worked in California.
My experience of Mexican / Tex Mex food (whatever) in the UK is of a gloopy mess with added mushy peas!
...but the goopy mess is usually contained in either a corn or flour tortilla and there are two mushy sides, the green one which is guacamole and the brown one which is (mushy) re-fried beans.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

hhfarang wrote: ...but the goopy mess is usually contained in either a corn or flour tortilla and there are two mushy sides, the green one which is guacamole and the brown one which is (mushy) re-fried beans.
You obviously haven't tried the stuff we get here! :shock:

Actually, there are very few Mexican places around, which isn't a surprise with what they serve up. About 15/20 years ago there was a bit of a craze for it, but it didn't last.

And you mean the mushy peas is guacamole? Quelle surprise! :? :D
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

There's a little stall in Market Village doing tacos, buritos etc for under 100-bt per serving. Ground floor, at the back left just before all the cash points.

Clearly not the best mexican food at that price range, but a nice alternative snack.

Evidently run by a Thai, as there's no beef on the menu!