WHAT food is in the photo?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

WHAT food is in the photo?

Post by richard »

Anybody a clue as to what these cubes are please? Got given them by somebody who thought they were chocolates but realised no as they do have a slight spicy aroma to them
20140620_171759.000(1).jpg
20140620_171759.000(1).jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
20140620_171821.000.jpg
20140620_171821.000.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Re: WHAT food is in the photo?

Post by PeteC »

The wife has similar, but not exact, and says it's a curry cube. You put it in water then add meat/veggies depending upon what kind of curry it is/you want.

Put one cube in boiling water to test it, the aroma should be that of some kind of curry. Pete

EDIT: I got the process backwards. Follow the pics on the package....meat/vegies.....water....boil....cube at end and stir.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, after a trawl on the net, it's a Japanese product called 2 Danjuku curry, this website has a recipe in English:
http://japanfood.eu/product.php?id_prod ... &id_lang=1
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks guys.

Will make myself a Nippon curry and report back

Having never been there I didn't know they were big on curry. Apparently it was introduced there by the British during our colonial spell in India
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Phil Scammed
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Phil Scammed »

Does it taste anything like Indian curry?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

As far as I was told, it was the British Navy that introduced curry to their Japanese counterparts during joint naval exercises, prior to WWI. It has now become a favorite dish in Japan, usually eaten with meat and noodles. Strangely Friday has become a popular day for eating curry but I have no idea why.
The taste is quite similar to chip shop curry, in the UK.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Bristolian wrote:As far as I was told, it was the British Navy that introduced curry to their Japanese counterparts during joint naval exercises, prior to WWI. It has now become a favorite dish in Japan, usually eaten with meat and noodles. Strangely Friday has become a popular day for eating curry but I have no idea why.
The taste is quite similar to chip shop curry, in the UK.
FRIDAY?

F/C day
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Vince & Lin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vince & Lin »

This is the easiest most tasty way to have delicious curry! I have used this for years. Just toss whatever veggies and meat in the pot. For half the package of spice, use 3 cups water and put the spice cubes in. It is that easy! It is nice to know I can find this in HH when we are there for 3 months.