Breakfasts from around the world.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Breakfasts from around the world.

Post by migrant »

Any bacon works for me
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pdm3547 wrote:UK smoked bacon for me.

I doubt I'll see bacon even nearly approaching the UK type; slaughter and carving methods are different in Thailand and this affects texture, taste and consistency.
Have you tried Hua Hin Ham & Bacon? IMO his bacon is 'UK Style'.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

There are actually two rice based breakfasts eaten here, both equally as popular. The one in the photo is called JOK, and is basically a porridge. The other version is called Khao Tom, and is more of a rice soup to which egg is never added. Both are sold everywhere in the towns and cities I've visited.

Another difference is that the latter can be made quickly on demand, whereas the one in the photo typically takes quite a while to make unless they are using the "instant" stuff like that which you can buy at any supermarket, either in packets or in cups, similar to instant noodles.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Big Boy wrote:
pdm3547 wrote:UK smoked bacon for me.

I doubt I'll see bacon even nearly approaching the UK type; slaughter and carving methods are different in Thailand and this affects texture, taste and consistency.
Have you tried Hua Hin Ham & Bacon? IMO his bacon is 'UK Style'.
Highly recommend these products. The bacon is what I would call proper bacon. Very small traces of fat, lots of tick cut meat. Cracking value at 140 bht for 10 slices, I'm sure that would be double to cost back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I'm sure we've been through the bacon/breakfast loop before on this forum :roll:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard, Breakfasts is a fairly broad based subject, and as the link shows, many foods are involved, including bacon, which has interested some people into responding.

C'mon, get out of 'Grumpy old man' mode and share the breakfast food experiences that do it for you. :D Maybe you'd like to tell us what your experiences were when living in Isaan, or probably more interesting I think you've told us tales of working somewhere in darkest Africa.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Stayed in Bangalore for a few nights a couple of years ago and had the hotel's cheapie breakfast (ie thrown in with the room) every morning.
Unlimited tea and coffee, one large glass of fruit juice, masala omlette and a huge bowl of fresh fruit to finish.
Enjoyed it so much that I found out how to make a massala omlette and do it myself at home here every now and then.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A hotel I've regularly stayed at in Somdet (25 years) used to advertise an English breakfast. It consisted of a (badly) fried egg and a slice of toast (no butter/jam). I used to take it because the alternative up there was disgusting.

Not surprisingly, the last 2 times I've been there we were told that they'd stopped doing breakfast because there was no demand :?

Fortunately, Somdet now has a 7-11, so junk food is order of the day for all meals :D

Points 41; Position 18
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

Big Boy wrote: Have you tried Hua Hin Ham & Bacon? IMO his bacon is 'UK Style'.
Thank you. I'll try that out.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Italian breakfast: ristretto and a custard or chocolate filled brioche (sweet croissant). Oh, and a cigarette.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

J.J.B. wrote:Italian breakfast: ristretto and a custard or chocolate filled brioche (sweet croissant). Oh, and a cigarette.
It or similar is on there, #7. :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

richard wrote:The Thai one is a version of Congee (rice porridge). Can be had in the wet market when it opens at 4am in the morning. I love it when out and about up north except when they overload it with chilli. The egg gives it added protein BB
richard :D

When the in laws come to stay with us in the UK, breakfast is a really big thing with them and Congee is always on the menu.

Father in law always does breakfast (with various levels of interference from mother in law and my wife) and gets up around 5 am to get it all started.

The previous night, a very large pot of stock is made, 1 whole chicken, some pork belly, which has been browned in a pan, and various herbs, white Thai pepper and salt plus water. All this goes on the stove and is simmered for around two hours, then left to cool over night.
At the same time, on goes the Jasmine rice, which, when cooked, is also left to cool over night.

In the morning, he shreds the chicken and pork meat, removes any fat from the meat and the stock and adds some of the meat to the stock.

Then in goes some large fresh prawns, finely sliced celery, the cold rice, fresh Thai basil and coriander, a couple of lime leaves and a dash of fish sauce and light soy sauce. A couple of raw eggs are added at the last minute.

All this is served up with more fresh herbs, smoking hot Thai red chilli sauce (which I don't touch) crispy pork skin, fried sweet red Chinese sausage and any other side dishes he dreams up, usually sliced raw vegetables.

The smell of this wafting through the house, is guaranteed to get even me out of bed, just like the smell of bacon being cooked does.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.