Breakfasts from around the world.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Breakfasts from around the world.

Post by PeteC »

This will wet your appetite. I like the looks of #17...and a few others. :D The Thai entry looks quite strange and can't say I've seen it served. Maybe it's North or Issan? Pete :cheers:

31 Breakfasts From Around The World

http://easymealsforall.com/breakfast/31 ... the-world/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Early Breakfast

Post by Big Boy »

My wife and youngest granddaughter often have the Thai breakfast. If I'm ever ill with stomach problems, my wife knocks up a big saucepan full that lasts a few days - it works a treat.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Re: Breakfasts from around the world.

Post by PeteC »

In my experience it's hard to find rice porridge (kao tum (sp)) dishes in the morning. It seems to me it's always an evening deal, accompanied by a variety of small dishes. The places that serve it where I am don't even open until evening. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They certainly sell it over here. They normally break a raw egg into it as well, although I've never risked that personally.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

The Thai one is a version of Congee (rice porridge). Can be had in the wet market when it opens at 4am in the morning. I love it when out and about up north except when they overload it with chilli. The egg gives it added protein BB
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote: The egg gives it added protein BB
I'm sure it does, and I'm just as sure it cooks in the bowl as it's being eaten. However, I normally eat it when I have a bad stomach upset. Eggs and dairy is something the medics told me to avoid if I feel that way.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Understandably so BB.

For those that want to try it, some Thai/farang breakfast joints will make it for you or better still ask a seasoned m/c driver to take you to get one. Plenty of side street joints do it in their front yards for take-away. It's one of the few Thai meals they don't bombard with sugar.
Last edited by richard on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:They certainly sell it over here. They normally break a raw egg into it as well, although I've never risked that personally.
Well, I'm in the sticks :laugh: The most popular breakfast item is pak a pao, followed by kao pad, followed by pad siu, lat naa and pad Thai.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

prcscct wrote:
Big Boy wrote:They certainly sell it over here. They normally break a raw egg into it as well, although I've never risked that personally.
Well, I'm in the sticks :laugh: The most popular breakfast item is pak a pao, followed by kao pad, followed by pad siu, lat naa and pad Thai.
:laugh: and then followed by....and then followed by...and then followed by.....until it's time to go to bed and sleep :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

May sound strange but in my previous working life I used to like to stay in Rotterdam...as it was the only Dutch city I ever stayed in long term. :laugh: The reason being....I loved the hotel buffet breakfasts of cold cuts, cheese and associated. Very similar to the German breakfast in the photos. Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:Understandably so BB.

For those that want to try it, some Thai/farang breakfast joints will make it for you or better still ask a seasoned m/c driver to take you to get one. Plenty of side street joints do it in their front yards for take-away. It's one of the few Thai meals they don't bombard with sugar.
Yes, my family's regular spot for buying it is near the 2 7-11s on Soi 88 - very cheap as well.

Points 48; Position 20
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The English one looks best to me, though they didn't have my favorite American breakfast, and the one I grew up on which was 2 eggs fried or scrambled, 2 pieces of toast with butter and jelly, 2 pieces of American style bacon, and a glass of orange juice.

I ate that every day from the time I was weened until I moved away from my Mother's house at age 18. In the earlier years it also included a glass of whole milk.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Can you be more specific regarding the American style bacon please?

Points 48; Position 20
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:Can you be more specific regarding the American style bacon please?
It's the crappy bacon you get with cheap breakfasts over here :D