Breakfasts from around the world.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Breakfasts from around the world.

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmm...... Burnt streaky bacon - not for me I'm afraid.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^Agreed cured pork belly. A lot of fat so must be cooked crispy and then picked up and eaten by hand. Shatters into a million pieces (exaggeration) if you take a knife and fork to it.
Actually I like it occasionally but nowhere near as good as a few slices of back bacon.

My Danish boss always complains that we (the Brits) always buy the best Danish bacon, which he buys when he is in the UK :shock: .....the Danish housewife generally does not like spending the higher price for back bacon
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I like both
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yeah, you almost have a cultural divide going on here. British back bacon is very similar to medium sliced ham IMO. At least all of it I've had is. Not the taste necessarily, but the consistency. Perhaps a bit of a different flavour than ham, but flesh consistency about the same as a thin breakfast ham.

What is gammon, as I see that on breakfast menus here also.

American bacon is a finger food, always has been and always will be, and it should be cooked crispy and grease drained. Since we eat our eggs with our fingers, it works well. :roll: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

prcscct wrote:Yeah, you almost have a cultural divide going on here. British back bacon is very similar to medium sliced ham IMO. At least all of it I've had is. Not the taste necessarily, but the consistency. Perhaps a bit of a different flavour than ham, but flesh consistency about the same as a thin breakfast ham.

What is gammon, as I see that on breakfast menus here also.

American bacon is a finger food, always has been and always will be, and it should be cooked crispy and grease drained. Since we eat our eggs with our fingers, it works well. :roll: Pete :cheers:
Savages :D :D :cheers:

Gammon I believe is the same cut as ham but cured as bacon and cut thicker, and then fried or grilled. It's usually eaten with a choice of fried egg or slice of pineapple. The choice and preference of the egg or pineapple slice would be worthy of a thread of its own to Brits. :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

prcscct wrote:American bacon is a finger food, always has been and always will be, and it should be cooked crispy and grease drained. Since we eat our eggs with our fingers, it works well. :roll: Pete :cheers:
It's finger food unless one also has 2 slices of bread, Romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes and mayo for a BLT sandwich. There the crispy works perfectly.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

prcscct wrote:In my experience it's hard to find rice porridge (kao tum (sp)) dishes in the morning. It seems to me it's always an evening deal, accompanied by a variety of small dishes. The places that serve it where I am don't even open until evening. Pete
JJ Breakfast & Restaurant on 88 has it. They open at 7:30 IIRC. Directions here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24223&p=352232
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Homer wrote:
prcscct wrote:In my experience it's hard to find rice porridge (kao tum (sp)) dishes in the morning. It seems to me it's always an evening deal, accompanied by a variety of small dishes. The places that serve it where I am don't even open until evening. Pete
JJ Breakfast & Restaurant on 88 has it. They open at 7:30 IIRC. Directions here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24223&p=352232
Tried JJ this morning, I won't return. Probably because of the bacon and 7-11 style sausage.

Have to say though, the lady who served us was very jolly.

If you like chicken sausages and American bacon give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Homer wrote:
prcscct wrote:American bacon is a finger food, always has been and always will be, and it should be cooked crispy and grease drained. Since we eat our eggs with our fingers, it works well. :roll: Pete :cheers:
It's finger food unless one also has 2 slices of bread, Romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes and mayo for a BLT sandwich. There the crispy works perfectly.
It's even better in a French baguette with just melting Brie cheese .....mmm.

Even in a BLT the bacon for me, whatever type, the fat must be a tad (little) crispy.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

A firm favourite breakfast is kedgeree (can be served as lunch and dinner but then again so can all other 'breakfast' meals).

Smoked haddock, rice, eggs in a creamy sauce.

Thinking of this, do we have access to smoked fish here in HH? Haddock, mackerel etc?

Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Henry 14th wrote:A firm favourite breakfast is kedgeree (can be served as lunch and dinner but then again so can all other 'breakfast' meals).

Smoked haddock, rice, eggs in a creamy sauce.

Thinking of this, do we have access to smoked fish here in HH? Haddock, mackerel etc?

I was in Villa supermarket this evening and they had imported smoked mackerel, only a couple of pieces but as always anything imported is expensive.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

American bacon has come a long way. You can now find nice thick cut bacon with little fat that doesn't shrink down to 1/2 it's original size. Of course the price is a bit more than the the cheap fatty stuff. I am not sure it can be found in Thailand yet but it is available in the states and is very good. A couple strips of this bacon on a cheeseburger is the way to go. It's also good at breakfast to. The stuff sold in Thailand restaurants is not good at all and I agree with it falling apart and being burnt but if you can ever get your hands on the good stuff I think you might change your mind about American bacon.

About the rice soup that is served for breakfast. In the restaurants it can be ordered with mince pork at most places. While eating it once I decided that it would taste much better with sausage. I had my wife make some and we added some breakfast sausage into it instead. We make our own sausage at the house so we took some sausage out of the casings and put it in instead of the plain minced pork. Tasted pretty good to me and I enjoy having the egg in the dish also.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In the UK, the bacon comes smoked or unsmoked (traditionally called green bacon) and most people prefer one to the other - for me I much prefer smoked.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

There is a type of bacon that you can buy in the us that is very similar to British/danish bacon. It is called Canadian bacon, even in Canada it is called Canadian bacon, not just bacon.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

UK smoked bacon for me.

I doubt I'll see bacon even nearly approaching the UK type; slaughter and carving methods are different in Thailand and this affects texture, taste and consistency.