Alcohol free beer

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Alcohol free beer

Post by caller »

Wasn't sure what sub-forum to put this in, so feel free to move if need be.

I've been cutting back on alcohol by drinking more alcohol free beer, which is widely available in the UK - in pubs, restaurants, supermarkets and so on.

What's the situation in Hua Hin and Thailand in general - can this be found anywhere, or is it yet to arrive?

Thanks for any feedback.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Alcohol free beer

Post by oakdale160 »

Never seen it here and that includes the displays at tesco(MV) and VillaMkt that have a large range of imported beers.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

We stocked Cascade Premium Light from Australia for about two years, unfortunately, we had to drop it as demand for such a product was not sufficient to keep bringing it in.

It really was a nice beer, only 2% alcohol, a true light beer and very refreshing, crisp and you wouldn't know the beer was low alcohol.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hi JD,

But the times they are a changing and I was actually thinking of virtually alcohol free.

Would you be interested in stocking if you had a guaranteed (as much as anything can be market)? I did ask this question elsewhere and someone else said they have tried to find it and did have it in Samui.
Talk is cheap
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Try this link. http://www.wishbeer.com/Non-Alcoholic-s/1897.htm
I get emails from them from time to time but have never used them
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I saw some alcohol-free beer in Makro last week. I remember wondering that as it was after 2pm would the cashier let it through.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks for the responses.

I'll get back to you if I learn any more (or maybe I'm the only one interested).
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Villa MKT has kronbacher non alcohol beer at 109b
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

They stock at least 3 brands at Villa Market. I believe they are all German and I've tried two that are not bad.

I just wish they had alcohol free wine. For the last two years I lived in the U.S. I was drinking Sutter Home alcohol free white and red and had gotten used to them so I wasn't drinking so much of the real stuff.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Just been to Makro. They have Kronbacher alcohol-free (i.e. less than 0.5%) for 75 baht per 330 ml bottle. Same price for the same brand alcoholic beer.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They stock at least 3 brands at Villa Market. I believe they are all German and I've tried two that are not bad.
Becks Blue and Erdinger Drive are two of the better German alcohol free beers if they have them.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Villa had the Krombacher mentioned above at Makro, Oettinger NA, and one other that I can't remember. The Krombacher NA Pils is not bad IMO.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

STEVE G wrote:
Becks Blue and Erdinger Drive are two of the better German alcohol free beers if they have them.
Agree with the above - thanks for all the feedback guy's, looks like I should be able to find some reasonably okay. Just as HHF say's, I've got used to drinking the stuff and I far prefer Becks Blue to normal lagers. Ale is different, but here in the UK there are some good low alcohol bitters, generally about 2.8%. Marks and Sparks get Adnams to brew there's and it won a bronze medal at a national beer award on blind tastings. It really has a full flavour to it.
Talk is cheap
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Caller have you tried Bitburger Drive Alcohol Free? I used to buy it at Tesco, it's really nice :)
untitled.png
untitled.png (105.02 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Siani wrote:Caller have you tried Bitburger Drive Alcohol Free? I used to buy it at Tesco, it's really nice :)
untitled.png
Tesco UK or Thailand?

I've only had it in pubs. I've only come across a couple of pubs that sell more than one alcohol free beer - it's usually Becks or Bitburger, which is fine for me, but I've also had Holsten and one other that I can't recall the name of?

I've never seen Bitburger in a Tescos in my neck of the woods, only Becks. Waitrose sell Becks and Clausthaler, but I find that to sugary.
Talk is cheap