Pepsi's Back

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Pepsi's Back

Post by Pleng »

Saw the other day that 7/11 have Pepsi back in stork, after the est saga. Just thought I'd mention it - have no idea how long it's been available.
Big Boy

Re: Pepsi's Back

Post by Big Boy »

Never buy it in 7-11, but has it ever been away? Mrs BB and my son have been drinking it for the last 2.5 years.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Last year when I raided a hotel mini bar of a couple of cans of Pepsi I couldn't replace them from any 7/11 or family mart.

Don't normally drink the stuff but yes I also seem to think I saw Pepsi in stock at my local 7 a couple of days ago.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't drink it either. Mrs BB has been buying the large plastic bottles throughout. If the OP meant cans, we never buy them.

Points 48; Position 20
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Should we have a survey of who drinks Pepsi and who not?
I think not.
Good grief.
A friend is only one click away
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

The wife uses it to clean the inside of the tea pot. As for drinking the stuff, sorry, I prefer wine.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

There was a thread on it a while back - when 'Est' was launched by the company who previously was responsible for the bottling of Pepsi after a falling out. It was definitely unavailable for a while.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pleng wrote:There was a thread on it a while back - when 'Est' was launched by the company who previously was responsible for the bottling of Pepsi after a falling out. It was definitely unavailable for a while.
So that's how they (est) managed to put their stuff into nearly every mom and pop store in the country in front of Coke, Pepsi, Fanta...

They worked at a global brand, disagreed with them (probably due to a simple misunderstanding regarding 'Thai Time'), stole their product along with their clients and then finally put their new product on the shelves looking somewhat the same as the last product at 3-5 baht cheaper. The shop sells more of it than other brands as it's cheaper, so order more and lighten the order of the rest. Eventually, all you see is 'est' stuff in plastic bottles, glass bottles and cans when you enter the place. At this point 'est' puts the prices of their drink up to the same prices as Coke, Pepsi and Fanta - they now own the fizzy drinks section of the shop... They can do what they like.

Hmmm. :?

Try this in another country and see how far you get. :idea:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the thread said something like it would run out, and not be replenished. AFAIK it hasn't run out yet.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My kids tell me that it hasn't been available for some time now. They're the experts not me!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote:
Pleng wrote:There was a thread on it a while back - when 'Est' was launched by the company who previously was responsible for the bottling of Pepsi after a falling out. It was definitely unavailable for a while.
So that's how they (est) managed to put their stuff into nearly every mom and pop store in the country in front of Coke, Pepsi, Fanta...

They worked at a global brand, disagreed with them (probably due to a simple misunderstanding regarding 'Thai Time'), stole their product along with their clients and then finally put their new product on the shelves looking somewhat the same as the last product at 3-5 baht cheaper. The shop sells more of it than other brands as it's cheaper, so order more and lighten the order of the rest. Eventually, all you see is 'est' stuff in plastic bottles, glass bottles and cans when you enter the place. At this point 'est' puts the prices of their drink up to the same prices as Coke, Pepsi and Fanta - they now own the fizzy drinks section of the shop... They can do what they like.

And of course, give your product a name that 99% of your customers will never be able to pronounce properly! :D
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

GLCQuantum wrote:

Hmmm. :?

Try this in another country and see how far you get. :idea:
This sounds like what happened many years ago when Danish Carlsberg started up the Chang beer with a Thai partner. Carlsberg got royally screwed. (Chang means elephant, and the elephant is the trademark of Carlsberg. Carlsberg has an elephant brand beer in Denmark, and the front gates of the old brewery have two elephants "carrying" the gate). So much for joint ventures in Thailand.
Recently Carlsberg took revenge, it now owns the majority in one of East Asia´s best beers, the Beer Lao.

Another example is Thai Air. That was started up many years ago with the help of Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). Once Thai was on its feet making a profit, SAS was disposed of.

So much for foreign aid.
:roll:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you'll find that it was Carlsberg that pulled out of the deal and had to pay Chang a lot of money for not fulfilling their contract.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

I'v always been able to get pepsi...i dont like est or coke

....does anyone else thing this thread will turn into another 'no milk in shops' thread? ;)
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

HHTel wrote:I think you'll find that it was Carlsberg that pulled out of the deal and had to pay Chang a lot of money for not fulfilling their contract.
Well, there was more to it than that!