Does Hua Hin Need a New Butchers Shop?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Boycie
Novice
Novice

Re: Does Hua Hin Need a New Butchers Shop?

Post by Boycie »

The meat would be imported fresh not frozen ,in a chiller container you can keep meat upto a month in a good fridge , it will only mature in this time, also the meat would have been grass or grain fed.

As i said the shop would be Air Coned., and i have done my research into this business in Hua Hin, we are currently looking at new shophouses near the market.

Thank for all your replies.

Have a nice day.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Boycie wrote:
barrys wrote:
Boycie wrote: Yes i would like to open a fresh meat shop just like in the uk wiith a full window show, i have found all the fresh meat supliers for Beef Lamb Pork, i make my own Bacon, Hams, & Sausages.
Why not - go for it!! If the prices are reasonable, I will be a regular customer for sure, as will my gf, who owns 2 businesses involving catering for westerners!!!
Thank you barrys..
Interesting that you've taken the time out to thank the post that says what you want to hear, as opposed to the very sound advise from others.

barrys wrote:Everybody seems to be making the success or failure of this business dependent on the local expat casual shopping population.

Let's not forget there are also hundreds of hotels/guesthouses here that cater for the tourists (Thai and foreign) as well as a large number of up-market restaurants who need to source good quality products for their businesses.

I'm sure this is an avenue that could be exploited by a savvy entrepreneur providing good prompt service and economical top quality produce.
Do any of the up-market restaurants currently have issues sourcing good quality products, though? Everything is available here already, and so the only way you're going to be able to lure places away from their current suppliers is by dramatically undercutting them, which doesn't sound like it will be possible considering the type of service the OP is hoping to provide.

Edit... looks like my post crossed with the one above, thanking the other contributors to the thread. Anyway, good luck with your new venture.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well Boycie, you seem to have all of the answers, so I don't really understand the question.

You don't seem to want to acknowledge any negatives, and it seems you are going to do it regardless. Good luck in your venture.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:Well Boycie, you seem to have all of the answers, so I don't really understand the question.
You just can't win sometimes. He'd have been criticised for not doing any market research, now he's being criticised for doing his market research and then backing it up with a post on the forum.

Has he scotched your own plans to open up a butcher's, BB? :laugh:
This is the way
Boycie
Novice
Novice

Post by Boycie »

I have been a butcher for nearly 40 years , i have seen Makro's meat show and i think it's disgusting ,i have never met a good Thai butcher yet in all my 11 years of living in Thailand, and i'm not likely to see one in the future ,if we go ahead with this project, we will offer good customer service with a smile.There will be a first class meat display at weekends, inc rolled joints of beef including brisket , ribs of beef, rolled legs of pork ,rolled pork shoulder as in spare rib , and crown roasts rack of lamb done to order , and all your BBQ meat already in different types of sources.Even sawdust on the floor if i can find it LOL.

With a meat show like this one.
PB170232%20(Custom)%20(2).jpg
PB170232%20(Custom)%20(2).jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Thank you.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Boycie wrote:I have been a butcher for nearly 40 years , i have seen Makro's meat show and i think it's disgusting ,i have never met a good Thai butcher yet in all my 11 years of living in Thailand, and i'm not likely to see one in the future ,if we go ahead with this project, we will offer good customer service with a smile.There will be a first class meat display at weekends, inc rolled joints of beef including brisket , ribs of beef, rolled legs of pork ,rolled pork shoulder as in spare rib , and crown roasts rack of lamb done to order , and all your BBQ meat already in different types of sources.Even sawdust on the floor if i can find it LOL.

With a meat show like this one.
PB170232%20(Custom)%20(2).jpg
Thank you.
i buy the pre packaged nz lamb products and australian beef and mince from makro...but i love the old style butcheries and if you are competitive and have easy access and parking i will purchase..good luck..
parking and easy access is a BIG plus with makro

also a good leg of pork with skin on for crackling would be a regular buy for me!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It sounds as though you know what you're talking about regarding the butchering side of the meat market, and having lived in Thailand for 11 years you will know it won't be easy. I hope you can make a success of it and I look forward to becoming one of your customers, but as jingjoe mentioned, location with good parking is essential if you are to get the customers coming back on a regular basis.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Well Boycie, you seem to have all of the answers, so I don't really understand the question.
You just can't win sometimes. He'd have been criticised for not doing any market research, now he's being criticised for doing his market research and then backing it up with a post on the forum.

Has he scotched your own plans to open up a butcher's, BB? :laugh:
Not a criticism. It just seems to be a strange question if he knew all of the answers already.

As I said, it's highly unlikely that I'd use the shop anyway. There's already plenty of choice in the areas we shop already, and a location near the market basically guarantees that I'd never go near the place.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

I don't see anything wrong with asking the question here. It could just be part of his research. This is just a forum with a limited amount of members replying to him. Us members don't make up the entire population of Hua Hin. The forum is a nice tool but it should not be the final word. If he has done his research and has come to a conclusion that the butcher shop will work then more power to him. I hope it works and it's always nice to have more options. Some people may use it 1 time and others may use it often. Only time will tell if it will succeed or not. Best of luck!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Arlo wrote:I don't see anything wrong with asking the question here.
No neither do I - just strange to do it after the event, rather than as a starter. It is quite clear that he already knows the answer that he wants to hear, which negates the discussion in my opinion.

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ It always helps BB to keep asking the same questions in this part of the world where things can change overnight and indeed new or dormant forum members may have a view that has not already been expressed. In the OP's position I would also be asking for views from all the other forums that know HH business and activities.

OP, will you be doing game as well? Fancy the odd jugged hare now and again :)

Good luck in your venture. I would certainly be a customer providing you get the all important LOCATION correct.

Off topic......the performance of internet is slow today. Broken overseas lines I hear :banghead: :offtopic:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
Arlo wrote:I don't see anything wrong with asking the question here.
No neither do I - just strange to do it after the event, rather than as a starter. It is quite clear that he already knows the answer that he wants to hear, which negates the discussion in my opinion.
Surely it's more a case of the OP having a preconceived view of wanting to open a butchers in HH but he wanted to test it on the Forum readers to gauge their reaction - and as we've seen, there have been widely different views expressed which IMO more than justifies the question, even if you don't, as you're fully entitled to.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not disagreeing, and I don't have a problem. However, he seems to have sourced his products, sussed the shipping arrangements and is looking for a suitable retail outlet. He also seems to have his business plan in place. To me he seems too far down the road to start gauging reaction.

Points 48; Position 18
Mango

Post by Mango »

I think there is room for a good quality butchery shop as being suggested
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pleng wrote:
barrys wrote:Everybody seems to be making the success or failure of this business dependent on the local expat casual shopping population.

Let's not forget there are also hundreds of hotels/guesthouses here that cater for the tourists (Thai and foreign) as well as a large number of up-market restaurants who need to source good quality products for their businesses.

I'm sure this is an avenue that could be exploited by a savvy entrepreneur providing good prompt service and economical top quality produce.
Do any of the up-market restaurants currently have issues sourcing good quality products, though? Everything is available here already, and so the only way you're going to be able to lure places away from their current suppliers is by dramatically undercutting them, which doesn't sound like it will be possible considering the type of service the OP is hoping to provide.
One issue that certainly does exist here is sourcing goods of consistently good quality. I do know some restaurants and hotels that still source from Bangkok.
It is not abnormal for a new business to set up where similar businesses exist.
The key is to set up a better business that is more attractive to your target group and make it stand out from the competition.
Dramatically undercutting competitors will hardly be viable, but producing consistent high quality and reliable service at slightly lower or similar prices just could tip the balance.