Makro vs. other suppliers

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Makro vs. other suppliers

Post by Takiap »

Yes, I would say they were either too old, or else they got wet at some point. Very fresh eggs are actually a little tricky to crack open if you don't want the yolk broken, just like very fresh eggs are difficult to peel. Most shop eggs are around three weeks old as far as I know.

If you want to do a little experiment, but half a dozen eggs, put have in the fridge and leave half on a shelf. Then after a day or so take the ones out of the fridge and leave on a shelf for a few days. The ones that were in the fridge will almost certainly go bad, while the others will still be fine.

Egg shells absorb water, hence the reason why eggs should not be washed unless they are going to be refrigerated.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

When is a sale, not a sale ?
When it's off sale for ฿399 :banghead: So I bought 2, one for daughter :cheers:

Last week's sale promo:
252622867_1054683688640547_5919906764837640473_n.jpg
252622867_1054683688640547_5919906764837640473_n.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 711 times
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Makro Hua Hin closed today
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm Makro Hua Hin closed today
Any reason why - COVID related?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd planned a visit to Makro this afternoon so Joelle has saved me a trip.
Very unusual for them to be closed!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:09 pm
joelle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm Makro Hua Hin closed today
Any reason why - COVID related?
Sign of the times I guess, that was my first thought also.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

They had a big plastic sign across the entrance so it seems the closure was planned long enough to get the sign made. I couldn't read the reason because a guard was standing in the way. Open tomorrow.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Just went by and hereafter a photo of the sign
Maybe someone can translate it please
Attachments
received_438262687896611.jpeg
(90.87 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My wife says that it just says closed today (20th) open tomorrow (21st) - no mention of Covid although that could still be the reason - I can’t recall it ever being shut before?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It doesn't give a reason, just closed, and advises Makro shops are open elsewhere.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Makro closed due to Covid concerns

The Makro store on the north end of Hua Hin was closed today, reportedly due to infections among some staff. A sign in front said it would reopen tomorrow.

from huahinexpatnews
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ This is confirmed in today's Covid-19 report for PKK.

"Cluster พนักงานแม็คโครหัวหิน วง1-9 ราย (สะสม 20)"

- Cluster Makro Hua Hin 9 cases (total to date 20).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just come back from Makro and the reduced staff is noticeable with only 2 or 3 checkouts open. Many of the staff I'd guess are isolating.

On another note: Shortages of common items are evident. Makro have no stock of tomato ketchup of any brand or size. I managed to get some at Villa although I took the last bottle of Rosa and after taking a further bottle of Heinz, that just left a single bottle. There are other items which I'm sure are known to regular shoppers.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

There are two staple items ( staple for me at any rate) which Macro regularly runs out of: Kraft Mayonnaise and the Greek style "Farmer's Union" yogurt. I realize that hoarding is a bad practice that probably compounds the problem but I cant help stocking up when I see these items are back in stock. Nothing else on the shelves comes close to either of these products. Tesco doesnt even carry them. I do all my shopping at Macro and am very happy with the shopping experience. I avoid Tesco at Market Village, especially the produce & bakery sections. The Tesco store in Tayang is surprisingly better in every way including produce and bakery and they seem to have a great variety of meat and fish available.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Yogurt is really easy to make, since shelf life is short. Mayo also. I was Miracle Whip fan, nobody stocks any more, and understandable. Switched to ARO Caesar Salad dressing for my mayo/whip sub, with tuna (rare), chicken or egg salad preps.