Another alcohol clampdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Another alcohol clampdown

Post by Big Boy »

Certainly no restrictions in the area of Bangkok that I am in at the moment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Interesting! So all pronouncements under article44 are only "proposals"...... Mmmmm glad they have cleared that one up ;-)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

read this... HH next?

http://www.thephuketnews.com/school-out ... -53443.php

i think sometimes the Thais like to do a "passive agressive" approach to things they don't like to do or have no control over.
So the police start enforcing a law they know is poorly thought out to make Bangkok look bad and or to get the law revoked.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

on the other subject of Buddhist Lent, I drove around HH last night on my trusty scooter. I drove past every bar on soi 94 up to Saxophone, on the cross streets between 94 and soi 88, all of 88, railroad, soi 80 and all of Bintabaht. Every "hello welcome, handsome farang man" bar was closed. Not one was open. I only saw one bar for Thais (i won't say where) selling beer and they were looking like guilty children. :)

7/11 had cardboard draped over the demon spirits. Out of sight, out of mind.

I wish Bintabaht was as quite as last night all the time. Not having to listen to five different pieces of music playing at the same time was really nice. I saw two farangs who looked like they did not know about the holiday. they looked sort of stunned, wandering the earth after the apocalypse. :)

I noticed at the soi 88 food court many Thais and a few farangs had their own bottles. They kept them on the seat next to them.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

JamesWest wrote:read this... HH next?

http://www.thephuketnews.com/school-out ... -53443.php.
"Phuket City Police Superintendent Col Kraithong Chanthongbai told The Phuket News that any operators found breaking the order will have their licenses to sell alcohol revoked."

So you can keep your licence to sell alcohol as long as you don't sell any?
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

STEVE G wrote:
JamesWest wrote:read this... HH next?

http://www.thephuketnews.com/school-out ... -53443.php.
"Phuket City Police Superintendent Col Kraithong Chanthongbai told The Phuket News that any operators found breaking the order will have their licenses to sell alcohol revoked."

So you can keep your licence to sell alcohol as long as you don't sell any?
there is no place for logic in Thailand. :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Phuket governor has shown himself time and time again to be a p**t. He should really keep up to date with the latest news. Even though that is confusing.
buksida

Post by buksida »

300-metre booze ban dropped in favour of S44 order

The Alcohol Control Committee on Tuesday dropped a Prime Minister's Office proposal to ban the sales of alcohol within 300 metres of universities and technical colleges to end the confusing overlap with a similar rule recently issued by the National Council for Peace and Order.

Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yuthavong, who chaired the ACC meeting on Tuesday, said the panel agreed to suspend the 300-metre ban set out by the PM's Office in favour of the order decreed by the junta under Section 44 of the interim constitution.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -s44-order

Thought: Clear as mud ... and this lot wanted to curb corruption? Idiotic moves like this just encourage it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Re: Another alcohol clampdown?

Post by jumusman »

STEVE G wrote:
....a ban on the sale of alcohol in a 300-metre radius of vocational and higher-educational institutions.
Aren't most of those types of institute away from the center of Hua Hin anyway? If it was any type of school, 300m would pretty much finish off the whole city!

I agree. Seeing as Insight English is also a school I used to go to, which fits into the description is very close to Soi 80 it will be sad to see every single bar on Soi 80 closed down... I am sure they will implement the law to the fullest extent as they should, the law is the law and there is no way around it right..

Oh no wait, some of those bars are owned by police officers and think of all the extra income they will be missing out on!! My bad.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Insight English fits nowhere near the category of schools that they are are 'discussing' having an alcohol free zone at.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Is Monday a holiday and will the bars and shops be selling beer?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

NOKYAI wrote:Is Monday a holiday and will the bars and shops be selling beer?
Monday is not a holiday and the bars and shops will be selling beer. They are legally required to sell beer on this day, every year, as it's my birthday.

11 years and I've not needed to speak to a general yet about the lack of booze.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

That's a relief!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

NOKYAI wrote:Is Monday a holiday and will the bars and shops be selling beer?
No, but Wednesday the 12th is (the Queens birthday), so don't be surprised if there's an alcohol ban then.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote:No, but Wednesday the 12th is (the Queens birthday), so don't be surprised if there's an alcohol ban then.
Strange way to celebrate a birthday!
Talk is cheap