Purple Grapes and Wholesale Fruits and Vegetables

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Purple Grapes and Wholesale Fruits and Vegetables

Post by JamesWest »

I have been buying purple grapes at the soi 112 market. the price is around 120 baht per kilo and sometimes the price is 80-140 per kilo. Sometimes they don''t have any.

My question is where do the vendors get the grapes that they sell? Is there a big wholesale fruit and vegetables "warehouse" near by?

Are the grapes local? I see grapes from the USA on sale in grocery stores. Big C has very expensive grapes of poor quailty. I was told the grapes sometimes come from China. I was hoping to find where the market vendor buy their grapes so i could have a better selection and price.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Purple Grapes and Wholesale Fruits and Vegetables

Post by Takiap »

Sorry I can't help, but I will be watching to see if anyone has the answer. Hopefully if there is a large warehouse/supplier, I might be able to find affordable avocados there as well. :D
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Takiap wrote:Sorry I can't help, but I will be watching to see if anyone has the answer. Hopefully if there is a large warehouse/supplier, I might be able to find affordable avocados there as well. :D
Please keep us informed on the avocados if you find a place that sells them cheap.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I would imagine that there's quite a mix - no doubt a lot of fresh produce is locally grown but also quite a bit comes from Bangkok, hopefully somebody will know more of the detail.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

if they are anything like the streetside vendors or small markets scattered around town that sell produce,i would take a punt and say most of it comes from makro
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are many many vineyards scattered around Thailand. Even seedless grape vineyards. Maybe they're bought directly from the farm. I don't see why not. I have bought grapes from farms on the other side of the gulf and cheaper than the market. There are some vineyards where you can 'pick your own'.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I have just asked Mrs T and family, and I've been told most of the bigger market vendors go and buy their stock in the East, at what sounds like Jantaburi.

I've also been told that some will buy a variety of stock solely for their own stalls, while other sellers have a sort of network going among themselves where they supply each other.

Most of the smaller side-of-the-road vendors and so on simply buy from the big markets dotted around town and from the wet market.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact