Food costs in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Taff
Novice
Novice

Food costs in Hua Hin

Post by Taff »

Hi guys,

I am contemplating taking a long term opportunity in Hua Hin, but want to get an idea of living costs.

Is anyone able to tell me, what would be the typical cost to eat, on a weekly or monthly basis? Eating in cheap places.

Also, do people buy from supermarkets to cook at home? If so, could you give me an idea of weekly / monthly shopping bills please?

Cheers guys.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Food Costs

Post by JamesWest »

where are you from? "cheers" i am thinking UK.

I am a American. It cost about 20%- 30% more than the USA for the same NAME BRAND items in grocery stores, but local products are dirt cheap. fish, chicken, local produce, but lower quality than USA by far.

if you eat like a thai all the time you can get by on 120 baht a day for food. but I will be sort of unhappy after a while.

i just completed my June budget. for two people, (one 175 pound farang and one cute 98 pound thai woman)

food only no alcohol
Breakfast out THB 560.00
Lunch out THB 1,355.00
Dinner out THB 3,782.00
Groceries THB 4,896.75

So around 10,593.75 for two people. at home we eat eggs, fish, pork, chicken, OJ, yogurt, lots of fruit and vegetables. small amount of bread. no expensive junk food. no rice. no noodles. 2 cups of coffee a day, nothing out of a can except tuna fish once in a blue moon. and not a lot of carbs which are cheaper than protein. girlfriend makes soup out of nothing. :)

typical eating out for you could be a really nice english breakfast out somewhere for 150-200 baht including coffee.
then food court lunch at Market Village for 100 or so
then dinner at the soi 88 food court. 50-150 baht. so 400 or so baht if you eat out all the time. less if you do all thai food and give up your farang way. i ate out like this for months and then just decided to only go out for dinner.

fantastic 1/2 bbq chicken 110 baht, second thai dish 50 baht. a beer and you are done.

big plate of chicken fried rice which is very filling for 80 baht or less.

sushi 5-10 baht per piece.

You can get three glasses of the worst red wine in the world at the soi 88 food court for 200 baht.

but what the thais do is they buy their alcohol at the 7/11 for peanuts compared to bars. imported alcohol is expensive.

none of these meals are in upscale tourist places. then costs are like UK or USA, maybe a touch less.

things like olive oil, olives, mustard, mayo, salsa, imported corn chips, hagen daz, anything from your home country is expensive.

or you could spend 600 baht per meal. up to you.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Food Costs

Post by Takiap »

James West has summed things up perfectly in my opinion, although I don't really believe the quality of pork; chicken and fish is any better in the US than it is here.

Beef is of course a different matter. Local Thai beef, if bought from local markets, is as tough as an old boot. Having said that, if you cook it in a slow cooker or a pressure cooker, it's fine. Because of this, a lot of expats buy imported beef which is very expensive by comparison. If you enjoy lamb, then that will also hammer your budget a bit because for some daft reason it is all imported.

In short, anything imported is expensive here. Eating out in Western style restaurants is also expensive, at least in my opinion. Thai food is good and very cheap on the other hand, and if you really must have Farang food without breaking the bank, then simply cook your own meals at home. I sort of enjoy making food so this is the route I have chosen. I lived exclusively on Thai food for 10+ years but eventually got bored with it.

Oh, and if you are budget conscious, don't even think about eating imported fruit because the prices are enough make your eyes water. Hell, back home I could pick peaches for free, whereas here you can expect to pay 70 baht for one. :shock: :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Taff
Novice
Novice

Re: Food costs in Hua Hin

Post by Taff »

Hi James,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a lengthy reply, it is much appreciated. Thanks also to you Takiap.
You have both given me more than enough to work out how long I can / should stay in Thailand.

Thanks again guys, will let you know what I decide to do.

PS I'm from Wales (UK).

Cheers
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Food costs in Hua Hin

Post by GLCQuantum »

At minimum, and eating Thai style, you could do breakfast, lunch and dinner for 150 baht a day in Hua Hin - I must emphasize the 'at minimum'.