Gluten in thai food

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Juice81

Gluten in thai food

Post by Juice81 »

Here's a tricky thing. Does anyone know is gluten and I mean precisely wheat flour commonly used in all the sauces? What about bread generally? Is it all wheat or could it be made for example from rice flour? We are not celiac but avoiding gluten because of my wife's bowl problems. Last time we were there I did presume that everything is all wheat and stuff but my wife said then that she had no trouble at all.
Big Boy

Re: Gluten in thai food

Post by Big Boy »

I think if you search on gluten, you might find your answer. I remember similar things being discussed over the years.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

Big Boy wrote:I think if you search on gluten, you might find your answer. I remember similar things being discussed over the years.
Yes, found something. Thanks!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An old thread, but a current problem for me. I have a friend visiting in March who is a Celiac sufferer. I've been researching the problem, and have come up with this useful website https://www.thailandglutenfree.com/index.html .

One of the key parts is notices in both Thai and English, which can be printed and shown to restaurants when ordering.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Consider some of the assumptions one with a severe allergy must make. This uses peanuts. Obviously, replace that with anything you can't eat.
Assumptions:
- The written translation is accurate
- All who must understand it are literate
- All who must understand it speak Thai
- Kitchen staff knows which prepared (purchased, not created in the restaurant) ingredients contains peanuts
- If kitchen staff doesn't know which liquids contains peanuts, they will read the label
- Prepared ingredients have ingredient labels
- Those labels are accurate
- The cook will overcome habit of preparing the dish with peanuts
- The food will not touch surfaces contaminated with peanuts
- Everyone involved will gladly and diligently fulfill your request

The cultural and language issues alone make it seem to me like a form of Russian Roulette.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My own thoughts were along similar lines, but unless I ask my wife to personally prepare every meal during my friend's 3 month stay, there has to be an element of faith/trust.

The one on that page that did surprise me was suitable beers in Thailand. I don't think my friend realises the restriction.

Points 48; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Many years ago, before Gluten intolerance became fashionable I went n a golfing trip and one of the guys had celiac disease. I was surprised and very sympathetic on how complicated his life was. Eating out was so difficult for him, a sauce or gravy, if thickened with flour, was poison for him. Each day he had to make up his own lunch, as we were all eating sandwiches in the golf clubs.
On the other hand, I am cynical about how many have suddenly after decades of eating gluten now find themselves allergic to it. One hysterical female I know who claims to be allergic to sugar, lactose and nuts has now added gluten to her list.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

One hysterical female I know who claims to be allergic to sugar, lactose and nuts has now added gluten to her list.

Is she also obsessed with her weight?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:24 pm Many years ago, before Gluten intolerance became fashionable I went n a golfing trip and one of the guys had celiac disease. I was surprised and very sympathetic on how complicated his life was. Eating out was so difficult for him, a sauce or gravy, if thickened with flour, was poison for him. Each day he had to make up his own lunch, as we were all eating sandwiches in the golf clubs.
On the other hand, I am cynical about how many have suddenly after decades of eating gluten now find themselves allergic to it. One hysterical female I know who claims to be allergic to sugar, lactose and nuts has now added gluten to her list.
Exactly, if you're living in the West, you would never invite anyone to dinner anymore, it's just got too complicated to address all these fads.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know very little about the condition. Our friend, who is in his 70s has been diagnosed with this condition by his hospital in the UK in the last 12 months. You guys seem to be suggesting its a condition inside the doctor's head. Why would they do that please?

Points 48; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

NO its a REAL terrible disease, but then a disease become fashionable and gets over-diagnosed. Similar to depression, that is a terrible disease but many many people who are just miserable and unhappy, often for good reasons, claim to have depression. Depression comes from inside, misery comes from life.
Number one question--Does your friend feel better in any way now that he is on a gluten-free diet?? If so stick with it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That I won't know until he gets here.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 am Number one question--Does your friend feel better in any way now that he is on a gluten-free diet?? If so stick with it.
My friend was delayed by a medical problem, but has arrived at last, today.

I asked what difference his gluten free diet made, and he said the difference is, if he consumes gluten, he feels very rough, and brings his food up again within the hour.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now a question. We went to Sizzler at Bluport this evening with our friend, and I have to say, I've never seen Thais more helpful in telling him what he could and could not eat. I was very, very impressed at the effort they put in with him.

We went to Bluport because we had been told they sold gluten free bread that he wanted to buy. They didn't. Does anybody know where we can find gluten free bread in Hua Hin please?

Points 48; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe .. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... vince.html

Depending on your friends sensitivity to gluten he may be able to eat sourdough bread, which may be easier to find.