The 5 most British dishes

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: The 5 most British dishes

Post by Big Boy »

Gut bomb or not, it is always a good fallback when nothing else suits.

I remember working at Faslane Naval Base when they were building the Trident facilities. The entire area was overrun with workmen, and you couldn't get edible food anywhere apart from an all day breakfast. That was 8 weeks of culinary hell.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:What about bangers 'n mash?
It's mentioned in the OP :D

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

The original article is obviously an promotional item for what they wanted you to buy. Absolutely no relation to what most people would call British dishes except Fish and Chips. Crisps are not a dish, just a snack and however many fancy flavours come and go it is the likes of cheese&onion or salt'n'vinegar that come to mind as being British. When you mention British dishes the following come to mind:
Traditional Roast Beef/Pork/Lamb/Chicken, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, veg, gravy.
Shepherds Pie
Faggots and peas
Cornish Pasties
Toad in the hole
Full English breakfast including black pudding and back bacon (not US style crispy streaky bacon)
Baked potatoes cooked in foil at the base of the bonfire on Nov. 5th
Pork Pies
Steak and Kidney pie

And no doubt a few more. Saying British rather than English the following can also be included:
Bridies
Haggis & Neeps
Balti of any description

Some have already been mentioned and most are available somewhere in Hua Hin.

Determining what are the most British dishes is unlikely to get any concencus of opinion as people from different areas of the U.K. will have different preferences. No doubt a subject that could be discussed for hours while also sampling and trying to determine the most British beer.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Faggots and peas
You can't use that word any more, it's a hate crime! :mrgreen:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:Gut bomb or not, it is always a good fallback when nothing else suits.

I remember working at Faslane Naval Base when they were building the Trident facilities. The entire area was overrun with workmen, and you couldn't get edible food anywhere apart from an all day breakfast. That was 8 weeks of culinary hell.
“To eat well in England, you should have a breakfast three times a day.”
―W. Somerset Maugham
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:
Faggots and peas
You can't use that word any more, it's a hate crime! :mrgreen:
The only thing I see wrong with that is the mushy is missing before the peas :D . However, while we're on the subject, is there anywhere local that you can get proper faggots, and I mean proper, not the Brains frozen crap?

Points 41; Position 18
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Pie mash and Jellied eels with mushy peas.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What about roast Welsh lamb with mint sauce and my mother made 2 things that area lot of work--Oxtail and stuffed, rolled breast of lamb--Oh got to stop I'm slobbering on my keyboard!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

OK..so you've all had your say on 'traditional' British fare, but what about good 'ole Liver, onion gravy & mash..? It would seen there's no R/rant serving Western food in town that does not have this dish on their menu (well, I can think of one, but because the place is now run by family they seem to know best!..?) One needs a good helping of liver+ mash at least once a week..plus garden peas then we really are getting there!.. :cheers:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Liver and onions with bacon mash and peas yum yum that's my number one on British fayre.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Agree with Terry there on the Full English Brekky, but it's strange that many of us don't bother with it unless we are on holiday!
Fish and chips - I guess so - but it has to be haddock in Hull. (Or fried cod roe of course.)
Any blue cheese - melted on a burger which ain't really British but good. Or in a bacon butty.
Sos and mash with onion gravy - but preferably cumberland sausage.
Colcannon.
Shepherds pie.
That lovely Scottish pearl barley soup stuff.
Smoked haddock.
And OK cream teas but must be with clotted cream.

But let's face it we are moving on food wise in the UK and not before time IMO. (And I know that's more than 5.) The grains are big, as are things like pea shoots and edamame beans. I prefer couscous though to quinoa (key-noir) but both are really easy to prep and mix with all sorts of healthy stuff. After that you can whizz up my favourite British pudding - Angel Delight!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

When I think of British cuisine I think of

Yorkshire Pudding
Fish and Chips
Bangers and mash
of course roast beef, but that is international now.

I do a good prime rib with yorkshire pudding thanks to our British cousins!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I always remember cottage pie and Irish stew from when I was at school. Spotted Dick, jam roly poly or steamed pudding with golden syrup. No wonder that we are fat!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Siani wrote:I always remember cottage pie and Irish stew from when I was at school. Spotted Dick, jam roly poly or steamed pudding with golden syrup. No wonder that we are fat!
Easy to make "steamed" pudding with golden syrup in the microwave, Siani.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Let's not forget that chicken tikka masala is claimed to have been invented in Glasgow in the 1970's and has anyone mentioned Cornish pasties or kippers?