Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Turkey Availability

Post by hhfarang »

I should have sent my leftovers there! I just threw out about half a 24lb turkey because it was a week old and we were tired of it. I know, I could have frozen it, but I really don't like turkey that much. A guest brought the turkey, which was raised (free range) on a farm near where he lives. I bought the ham which is my favorite. It's all gone... :munch:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

STEVE G wrote:For the 4000bt charged for that turkey above, you can get a complete pig barbecued in your garden by those people from Cha Am. Get a couple of cases of beer and a decent bottle of Scotch and Christmas is sorted for you and half the neighbourhood!

Yes, I would much rather go with your idea rather than spend that amount on a turkey.

Also, I think HHH&B will cook and deliver your turkey, along with stuffing and etc. for less than 4,000.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:I think HHH&B will cook and deliver your turkey, along with stuffing and etc. for less than 4,000.
They certainly will, and include:

1 Kg Sausagemeat Stuffing
12 Bacon wrapped chipolata sausages
1.5 Ltr Gravy
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

4,000 baht is very steep for a turkey, but then again it's Pattaya.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Well I am not getting away with a turkey this year at the 6400 Thb I looked at. Missus flipped and said get 3 chickens. Family don't eat beef so I guess I am on lamb or a nice pork loin with crackling.

Crazy 88
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Does anyone know if imported turkey (Butterball and the like) is going to be available for Xmas this year?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was told Villa Market had some a week or so ago, and I've seen some online companies offering them. I'm reliably informed Hua Hin Ham and Bacon are taking orders.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that BB. I'll have a look in Villa.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:53 pm Does anyone know if imported turkey (Butterball and the like) is going to be available for Xmas this year?
Have a look here.....From FB

8 hrs
Turkey
฿450
AP INTERFOODS
In stock next Wednesday 14th November
Butterball Fully Cooker Turkey size 10-12 lbs (4.5 - 5.5 kg.)/pc.
(Frozen Oven Baked Whole Turkey) for 450THB/kg.

For more information and directions please visit AP INTERFOODS
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If Hua Hin Ham, Bacon, & Meat is still open, they always had turkeys during the holidays when I was there.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Re: Turkey Availability 2019

Post by PeteC »

It's that time of year again.

Over the past few years has anyone, anywhere, seen an imported frozen turkey in this country that isn't pre-cooked?

I can't imagine that the hotels and restaurants that put on these gala dinners, and always have turkey as part of the buffets, buy pre-cooked turkeys?

Why the Thai authorities persist with the regulation about non-cooked turkeys from the USA or elsewhere is beyond me. There is no bird flu anywhere to my knowledge, and they certainly aren't protecting non-existent Thai turkey farming operations. :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't do turkeys, but I must admit that I didn't realise that they are pre-cooked. BigC in Bangkok has a freezer full of the things for 450 Baht/ Kg, so I will have to take a closer look. Hua Hin Ham and Bacon always advertises hot cooked turkeys, so does he use ones already cooked and just heats them up? I very much doubt it. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If I remember correctly it's more than just heating them up after thawing them out. I think they need to be in the oven for an hour or ?? at roasting temperature per the instructions.

...and the precooked come with no neck or giblets so there goes the traditional gravy I make. Yes, could use chicken or pig parts...but really! :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This link pops up anyway, so there are some comments about imported turkeys down the page a bit:

https://www.sunrisetacos.com/turkey/?gc ... 9oQAvD_BwE

In Thailand, because of an embargo on imported turkeys, in the supermarkets you will find either no turkeys or almost always just Thai turkeys. It is important to note the shape of the Thai turkey is different and more lean than the traditional shape of Western turkeys. As a result the breast meat of Thai turkeys has a smaller yield of white meat with larger yield of dark meat from the thigh and leg area. It also has a net lower yield of pure meat. In all a Thai 6 kilo turkey will yield usually around 1.5kg of meat which will feed 6 people each 250 grams of meat, of that 70% will be dark meat. The price for a uncooked Thai turkey at Villa is 475 Baht a kilo and 600 Baht a kilo for a fully cooked whole roasted turkey.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Macro also has both, frozen ones are 310 baht a kilo, you'll have to ask for them if none on display.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson