Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

There seems to be a severe shortage again this year here in the East, even though there is no import ban as there allegedly was in 2015. What are you seeing in the Hua Hin area at Villa, Makro etc.? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Turkey Availability

Post by Big Boy »

I see Makro have some really ugly looking Thai turkeys again. I'm not a fan of turkey, but they don't look anything like the turkeys we used to get back in the UK.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:I see Makro have some really ugly looking Thai turkeys again. I'm not a fan of turkey, but they don't look anything like the turkeys we used to get back in the UK.
:lach: I have to laugh at what I'm about to write. The wife saw what you saw BB at the Makro, Rayong yesterday. Small, scrawny looking things. However, her and her friend who was there with her confirm that what the Thai label translated to was "Ostrich". Sooooo.....no idea what they're really selling there. Either sickly turkeys or dwarf ostriches? :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure they taste alright. I bet a drumstick would take on a whole new meaning. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I saw some scrawny ones at Villa also. I like turkey, but the wife, and MIL, are not enthused with it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Was it the CP Group who just bought Makro? If so, you would think their CP labeled poultry would be in there, but apparently not, or not yet. CP may not do turkey farming here either, I'm not sure.

It's beginning to look like imports blocked and Thai domestic pushed on to the public....perhaps,IMO. I found out moments ago that Foodland has stated, "...no turkeys for sale this year...."

The hotels, resorts and restaurants must have good, plump turkeys for their Holiday meals, their guests expect it each high season as part of the Christmas/New Year buffet. Where those establishments may be sourcing imported birds is unknown at the moment. I'll continue to try to investigate. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote:I saw some scrawny ones at Villa also. I like turkey, but the wife, and MIL, are not enthused with it.
Ask what they would think of a leg of lamb for a holiday meal? :shock: I have never once had a good reaction to eating lamb from any Thai of any social class. I don't even want to start talking to them about veal. It may be the tipping point to violence?! :wink: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:
migrant wrote:I saw some scrawny ones at Villa also. I like turkey, but the wife, and MIL, are not enthused with it.
Ask what they would think of a leg of lamb for a holiday meal? :shock: I have never once had a good reaction to eating lamb from any Thai of any social class. I don't even want to start talking to them about veal. It may be the tipping point to violence?! :wink: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Yes, lamb is definitely a no-go for the Thai's in my household, a shame because i love it. But Mrs m has cooked it for me on special occasions, nice thing is, I don't have to share!! :cheers: Veal, couldn't imagine. I explained what it was once, got half way thru and knew I didn't need to go further
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

CP Group now owns Makro?
Damn, that's not good news. :(
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"Thailand
Siam Makro Public Company Limited was established in 1988. At the end of 2014 there were 77 Makro stores and five Siam Frozen Food stores in operation, serving a registered customer base of 2.6 million.[6] Revenues for 2015 were 156 billion baht with a net profit of 5.4 billion baht.[7] Siam Makro shares are traded on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

In 2013, Siam Makro was purchased by Charoen Pokphand Group (CP) for US$6.6 billion.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro#Ownership
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

CP bought Makro 3 years ago. Not recent news.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ooops posts crossed.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just found a few Norbest birds imported from US at Friendship Store in Pattaya. It's a one off store with no other branches. Price is from outer space at 680 Baht a kilo :shock: :shock: Expire date is well into 2017 if kept frozen so it's new stock. Point is, either they are getting around any import ban, or there isn't any ban. Just an FYI that you may stumble upon imported birds somewhere here. Pete :cheers:
phprnqIsgPM.jpg
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Found some for sale at passion delivery, price was also ridiculous! In the states the turkey is practically given away if you buy a certain amount of groceries with it, which is not hard to achieve during Thanksgiving.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

For the 4000bt charged for that turkey above, you can get a complete pig barbecued in your garden by those people from Cha Am. Get a couple of cases of beer and a decent bottle of Scotch and Christmas is sorted for you and half the neighbourhood!