Hua Hin seafood restaurants slammed for overcharging

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Hua Hin seafood restaurants slammed for overcharging

Post by buksida »

After a party of tourists slammed Hua Hin for ripping them off for a seafood lunch the traders on the beach have defended their prices saying they are in line with local authority guidelines.

Facebook user Ploynapas Lukthongmak complained with pictures of a bill about the price of their meal: "Blimey - watch out if you go to Hua Hin - I am angry".

They said they had paid 7,380 baht for lunch at a trader near the Centara Hotel.

Sanook went to investigate and found Phaona, 51, and her husband Sampheuy, 63, who prepared the meal on Saturday just before midday.

Phaona said they were 15 adults and three children in the party.

They ordered from the bright colored menu having two plates of each of the following: seafood platter BBQ, seafood platter boiled, som tam with fresh prawns, tom yam kung steamboat, BBQ prawns, and battered prawns. In addition there was three large plates of fried rice with prawns, two large containers of plain rice, seven fresh coconuts, three large Chang beers and soft drinks.

Phaona said the tourists didn't make a big deal of the bill at the time and she was surprised to see the angry post. They had asked for a discount and she had kindly lopped off 80 baht making it just 7,300 baht for the meal.

Sampheuy said that the prices had gone up at the market and they had had to raise the cost of certain dishes from 500 to 700 baht as a result.

His wife apologized for this but there was really nothing they could do.

Other traders among the 22 restaurants in the area said they were governed by prices issued by the authorities and there was clear signage about the costs tourists could expect.

Source: http://news.sanook.com/4738034/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin seafood restaurants slammed for overcharging

Post by RCer »

Look at the recent sea conditions. Not good for fishing, especially by the smaller boats.

Supply is down and prices will go up.
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Seems reasonable, just under 500Baht per person, excluding the kids.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

JWWhite wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:19 pm Seems reasonable, just under 500Baht per person, excluding the kids.
And drinks.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Sounds reasonable to me. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.