Hua Hin farang food prices

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by dundrillin »

Europtimiste. I would be grateful if you could recommend a Thai restaurant where I could get a steak for 179 baht. Thanks. btw Happy Pig does 2 pork sticks(kebabs) with salad for 195 baht--excellent.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Passport in Smorprong serves the biggest, juiciest, sweetest pork chop I've ever tasted with fries, mashed or baked potato and a small salad for 235B. It's large enough for 2 people.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

dundrillin wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 pm Europtimiste. I would be grateful if you could recommend a Thai restaurant where I could get a steak for 179 baht. Thanks. btw Happy Pig does 2 pork sticks(kebabs) with salad for 195 baht--excellent.
I heard there are some at Soi 88, but most open only evening.
I can advise Khok Khun Ya open for lunch and dinner about 100 meters uphill from BIG C, on the same side.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Thanks
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 am
Takiap wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 am Europtimiste, my comments about steak, pork cutlets, pizza and bread with sweet mayo were simply me being sarcastic. However, since you appear to miss such thing, let me be more clear......

Go to a Farang restaurant and pay decent money for a decent steak; go to a cheap Thai restaurant and pay 79 baht, but don't complain if you get a pork cutlet.

If you want a pizza, then the same principle applies. Places like Pizza Company and so on do not sell pizzas. They sell thing which sometimes resemble a pizza, and occasionally it can even be eaten if you are hungry enough or drunk enough. At the pizzas from these establishments don't usually come with sweet mayo.

You mentioned that these pizzas are appreciated by the locals, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread because this is about the price of Farang foods (including fish), not about Thai taste buds.

By the way, you will be pleased to know that Makro also stock frozen frog meat, but since fresh is always better than frozen, I would recommend buying your frogs from the wet market in town.

Now, I hope and trust that you will have a wonderful New Year :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
I always buy my frogs from market, never frozen.
About a steak at 79 baht cannot be beef, but in a Thai restaurant a beef steak with pepper sauce and salad and french fries will be 179 baht.
A Pizza in a Thai owned restaurant will start at 220 baht ( and it's a real Italian Pizza) and in other places at 300 baht.
For any other Thai dishes same.
Well, it appears as though you and I have something in common. Since I am not a rich Farang, I too will opt for a 179 baht beef steak with pepper sauce rather than a 400 baht beef steak with pepper sauce, but obviously I am aware of the fact that the quality will be vastly different.

The 179 baht option will include Thai beef from the market, and plastic pepper sauce from Makro.

You see, in reality, you probably cannot even make proper authentic pepper sauce from scratch for 179 baht, and that's even before you get to the cost of buying the steak
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Takiap wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:02 am
europtimiste wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 am
Takiap wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 am

The 179 baht option will include Thai beef from the market, and plastic pepper sauce from Makro.

You see, in reality, you probably cannot even make proper authentic pepper sauce from scratch for 179 baht, and that's even before you get to the cost of buying the steak
If you know how to prepare a Thai beef from the market, can be tender.
About pepper sauce, even for me who doesn't cook, it's not complicate. No need to buy the plastic sauce from Makro.
A friend of mine a real farang cook (a chef) told me how to prepare the easy way. Brown sauce Knorr from Shopping Mall, Cooking cream, pepper from market. That's all.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 pm If you know how to prepare a Thai beef from the market, can be tender.
About pepper sauce, even for me who doesn't cook, it's not complicate. No need to buy the plastic sauce from Makro.
A friend of mine a real farang cook (a chef) told me how to prepare the easy way. Brown sauce Knorr from Shopping Mall, Cooking cream, pepper from market. That's all.
That doesn't sound like a proper "chef" pepper sauce to me!?

Here's the one I make:
2 to 3 tablespoons mixed Kampot peppercorns
60g butter
1 shallot, minced
100ml brandy
100ml beef stock
60ml double cream
salt to taste
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

barrys wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:40 pm
europtimiste wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 pm If you know how to prepare a Thai beef from the market, can be tender.
That doesn't sound like a proper "chef" pepper sauce to me!?

Here's the one I make:
2 to 3 tablespoons mixed Kampot peppercorns
60g butter
1 shallot, minced
100ml brandy
100ml beef stock
60ml double cream
salt to taste
Read first before writing nonsense: This chef told me how to prepare the easy way for a person like me who doesn't like to cook and don't loose time in kitchen. Of course he knows the right way.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My pepper sauce is bigger than your pepper sauce.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:01 pm My pepper sauce is bigger than your pepper sauce.
I suggest to the forum to organize a pepper sauce competition..............
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm Read first before writing nonsense: This chef told me how to prepare the easy way for a person like me who doesn't like to cook and don't loose time in kitchen. Of course he knows the right way.
Well, in that case I can only bow to superior knowledge and apologise humbly for my evidently inappropriate and futile attempt to introduce a constructive contribution to this culinary discussion.
And please rest assured that I had no intention whatsoever of challenging anybody's monopoly on the writing of nonsense.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

barrys wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:16 pm
europtimiste wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm Read first before writing nonsense: This chef told me how to prepare the easy way for a person like me who doesn't like to cook and don't loose time in kitchen. Of course he knows the right way.
Well, in that case I can only bow to superior knowledge and apologise humbly for my evidently inappropriate and futile attempt to introduce a constructive contribution to this culinary discussion.
And please rest assured that I had no intention whatsoever of challenging anybody's monopoly on the writing of nonsense.
Very generous giving free your formula, hope will be useful for many of this forum, but as I said I am too lazy for spending time in kitchen, will do it my way even if it's not the right one.
By the way I must say something about ready to use sauces. In HH there is a steakhouse owned by a Brit who was never a cook. His sauces are white color, for pepper sauce he add dusts of pepper and for mushroom sauce dusts of mushrooms on the top of his sauces.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 pm By the way I must say something about ready to use sauces. In HH there is a steakhouse owned by a Brit who was never a cook. His sauces are white color, for pepper sauce he add dusts of pepper and for mushroom sauce dusts of mushrooms on the top of his sauces.
Thank you very much for sharing your valued experiences with us.
europtimiste wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:43 pm Since I live in Thailand except a pizzeria owned by a farang (long time ago), I never ate in a farang owned restaurant.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18