100 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Holiday in Thailand

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: 100 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Holiday in Thailand

Post by hhfarang »

Of course there is no democracy but who gives a toss about democracy.
There's currently no Democracy in LOS either and hasn't been for a while. I wish I could post some of the news stories I read daily about the current rule there but cannot for obvious reasons.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Many valid points have been brought up, but some not uncommon to Asia or many countries in general, such as rubbish, stray dogs, begging etc.

GLC - just as a question, and certainly not hijacking the thread or taking the Michael - Have you been to China or other Asian countries?

Amongst several, one of my main concerns in Thailand is safety. Before I get a barrage of "Be sensible, don't get pi$$ed, don't antagonise the locals etc...", I have been lucky enough to travel more than most and as a few on this forum to places not recommended for tourists. As such I am pretty careful.... although at certain HHF functions have lapsed :oops: .

One of the biggest issues in my younger (and Naive) years was poor quality diving equipment and the Thai "Jet-Ski Rip Off". Diving will not be an issue in HH, but I'm sure the latter occurs. Myself, friends and colleagues have had very "close" run-ins in the past....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
curlybaggie

Post by curlybaggie »

So you start a thread "100 reasons you shouldn't holiday in Thailand" Yet most of the 10 reasons you start off with are totally insignificant to what most people look for when they are booking a holiday. Do you seriously think that most people give a damn if the Scuba diving is better in other countries? Or that fishing is unregulated? As for Ladyboy's being trendy, It's trendy to be a sexual minority in countries all over the world (it certainly is in The UK) and our democracy will be eroded if we stay in The EU. I hope you counter balance this thread with "100 reasons You should holiday in Thailand" but I wont hold my breath, You seem to spend most of your time slagging the place off. If you hate the place so much why are you still there? At least hhfarang had the guts to say it, and do something about it. you choose to live there, but you are so negative about the place, people like you make me sick.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

curlybaggie wrote:I hope you counter balance this thread with "100 reasons You should holiday in Thailand"
Hasn't that already been done?
Talk is cheap
curlybaggie

Post by curlybaggie »

If that's the case, I withdraw that part of the post, but I stand by the rest of it. I'm fed up of some of the expats on here who expect Thailand to change just to suit them. They say " it's not like it used to be" BIG DEAL!, England's not like it used to be, but we have to live with it, and they should do the same. I have expat friends who live just outside of Hua Hin, they have been there for 10 years, they say " a bad day in Hua Hin is still 10 times better than a good day in England ".
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

curlybaggie wrote:England's not like it used to be,
Yes it is - it's still cr@p - live in Wales.... :wink: :D :duck:

In all seriousness....

What the majority of us on the forum "curlybaggie" (WTF) are simply trying to say is that Thailand is going downhill somewhat.... If you're happy for your own country (UK or is it INGURLUND?) to follow the same path, I guess you are in the great populous of those who have difficulty in spelling IQ...... And no, I do not want a "keyboard war".

Personally I love Thailand and HH, but I'm just a visitor - I will also say that Thailand as other countries have gone downhill in recent years. This I put mostly down to the financial factor, but with fear of sounding like my father - "The younger generation............."

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

curlybaggie wrote:So you start a thread "100 reasons you shouldn't holiday in Thailand" Yet most of the 10 reasons you start off with are totally insignificant to what most people look for when they are booking a holiday. Do you seriously think that most people give a damn if the Scuba diving is better in other countries? Or that fishing is unregulated? As for Ladyboy's being trendy, It's trendy to be a sexual minority in countries all over the world (it certainly is in The UK) and our democracy will be eroded if we stay in The EU. I hope you counter balance this thread with "100 reasons You should holiday in Thailand" but I wont hold my breath, You seem to spend most of your time slagging the place off. If you hate the place so much why are you still there? At least hhfarang had the guts to say it, and do something about it. you choose to live there, but you are so negative about the place, people like you make me sick.
I'm sure the thread is supposed to be light-hearted and a bit 'tongue-in-cheek'.

I can speak for the poster who has been here 12 years and loves the place.

Lighten up!
curlybaggie

Post by curlybaggie »

pharvey wrote:
curlybaggie wrote:England's not like it used to be,
Yes it is - it's still cr@p - live in Wales.... :wink: :D :duck:

In all seriousness....

What the majority of us on the forum "curlybaggie" (WTF) are simply trying to say is that Thailand is going downhill somewhat.... If you're happy for your own country (UK or is it INGURLUND?) to follow the same path, I guess you are in the great populous of those who have difficulty in spelling IQ...... And no, I do not want a "keyboard war".

Personally I love Thailand and HH, but I'm just a visitor - I will also say that Thailand as other countries have gone downhill in recent years. This I put mostly down to the financial factor, but with fear of sounding like my father - "The younger generation............."

You say "I don't want a keyboard war" yet you insult me over one slight grammatical error, (I guess all of your posts are perfect) and my user name. I also love Thailand, and have had the pleasure of spending many a happy holiday there, and that is why I was trying to defend it in my post. My post wasn't aimed at visitors such as yourself, but at expats who continue to live there, but seem to spend most of their time moaning about the place. Of course Thailand is changing, every country is, nothing stays the same forever does it? You are right about INGURLAND being crap, and it gets more crap every day, which is just one of the reasons why I'm coming to Thailand to marry my girlfriend later this year. Having spent all of my 60 years in England, it's time for me to move to pastures new, and Thailand seems like a good fit for me, but if I ever get to the stage that I'm no longer happy there, we will move somewhere else. I apologise in advance for any grammatical errors in this post.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

but you are so negative about the place, people like you make me sick.
:roll: Another one.

Having been holidaying here since I was 12 years old and living here since I was 20, I feel okay in having a little dig at the place now and then. My life has had just as much Thai influence as it has English. I do, at the end of the day, enjoy (most of) my time in Thailand. Some of my family are Thai also (stepmother/sisters) so I don't possess a hatred for the people either. That said, look around ... there's loads of craziness in the place. I'm just mentioning some of the things that I think are particularly barmy. Sure, other countries have these things too, but the thread's not about other countries now, is it.

I hope my future posts don't put you off your dinner.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

GLC - just as a question, and certainly not hijacking the thread or taking the Michael - Have you been to China or other Asian countries?
I haven't been to China. I have been to Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar though. Also traveled to a few places around Europe. :D

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Apologies for my previous post to all members - slightly strong and "feeding" - bad day/night!! :oops: That said - "curlybaggie" (a wonderfully chosen and intellectual name by the way :D :wink: ), you also need to relax a little.

GLC - you were previously thinking of heading to China - huge difference to Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar (never visited the latter but loved the first 3!! :D ). I guess you decided on Thailand.... :thumb:

Anyway - :offtopic:

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

pharvey wrote: GLC - you were previously thinking of heading to China - huge difference to Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar (never visited the latter but loved the first 3!! :D ). I guess you decided on Thailand.... :thumb:
For now... :wink: :cheers:

Number 20: Thailand is not known for their top notch electricians. Many tourists have been electrocuted and gone home in a body bag.

curlybaggie

Post by curlybaggie »

[quote="pharvey"]Apologies for my previous post to all members - slightly strong and "feeding" - bad day/night!! :oops: That said - "curlybaggie" (a wonderfully chosen and intellectual name by the way :D :wink: ), you also need to relax a little.

Curly (sarcastic nickname given to me by my friends regarding my lack of hair) baggie (nickname of my football team West Bromwich Albion) Not Booker Prize winning, but it doesn't need to be does it? Lol
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

GLCQuantum wrote: GLC - you were previously thinking of heading to China - huge difference to Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar (never visited the latter but loved the first 3!! :D ). I guess you decided on Thailand.... :thumb:
For now... :wink: :cheers:

:lach: Fair shout.....

Number 20: Thailand is not known for their top notch electricians. Many tourists have been electrocuted and gone home in a body bag.

[/quote]

Now try India or China...... :D :wink:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

curlybaggie wrote: Curly (sarcastic nickname given to me by my friends regarding my lack of hair) baggie (nickname of my football team West Bromwich Albion) Not Booker Prize winning, but it doesn't need to be does it? Lol
Should have called yourself 'Tesco bags' and then we'd all have understood! :)

Do drop by on the footy threads, but just be careful of the Tottenham mafia! :D :thumb:
Talk is cheap