British woman quarantined in Hua Hin over MERS fears

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Geko
Professional
Professional

British woman quarantined in Hua Hin over MERS fears

Post by Geko »

A WOMAN has been locked in quarantine on a dream trip to Thailand after an outbreak of a deadly virus.

Kerry Sue Newman, a jeweller from Brighton, travelled to South East Asia earlier this month but is now being kept in a solitary hospital room in the seaside district of Hua Hin for two weeks.

The 30-year-old was staying at Por Promin Muay Thai camp and fulfilling a dream to spend six months living in Thailand when she was picked up by Thai authorities.

They said they had to take her into quarantine and has been told she is not allowed to leave.

Thailand is currently on high alert as cases of the potentially fatal Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) have been reported in neighbouring countries.

An outbreak in the region has killed a total of 27 people and is mainly focused in South Korea with 175 confirmed cases.

A total of 2,805 people placed in isolation and more than 2,000 schools have been closed.

Thailand had its first confirmed case of Mers last week in a 75-year-old man from Oman who had travelled to Bangkok for treatment for a heart condition.

The officials revealed to Miss Newman that she had been sitting just two rows behind this man after her plane made a stopover in Oman before arriving in Thailand over the weekend.

Miss Newman said: “The first night was somewhat traumatic as I realised I was practically trapped in this one room that is virtually like a cell. Yet I have done absolutely nothing wrong to be locked up and imprisoned like this.

“Also there is a camera in my room so I am being watched, I feel like I am in some sort of strange Thai style Big Brother.

“Once I relaxed and realised that this is for the good of the rest of Thailand, and in fact the rest of the world, everything became a lot easier.”

Miss Newman will remain in quarantine until June 29 as the virus has a two week incubation period.

Mers is a flu-like condition with symptoms similar to those found in SARs and has also been confirmed in animals including camels and bats – with the first recorded human case being reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012

It can cause symptoms such as fever, a cough, breathing difficulties, chest pains, headaches, nausea and pneumonia.

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said they are aware of Miss Newman's case.

Most confirmed cases of Mers come from the Middle East but earlier this year the latest outbreak started in South East Asia with the first confirmed case on May 20 – when a 68-year-old man returning to the country was diagnosed.

Professor Stefan Elbe, director of the Centre for Global Health Policy at the University of Sussex, said: “There are 25 countries currently reporting Mers cases. The majority of these cases have been reported in Saudi Arabia, but some have also been reported in Europe, north Africa, Asia and the United States.

“Often those affected are people with travel histories to the Middle East, or people who have been in close contact with such people after returning home.

“The World Health Organisation convenes an expert committee to identify and announce when they believe a disease poses a wider threat to the world.

“The committee has concluded that Mers does not currently pose such a threat.”

Dr. Richard Pebody of Public Health England said human to human transmission of Mers is rare.

He said: “Although any transmission risk is very small, as a precaution, we contact UK passengers on a plane who are in the vicinity of a case to follow-up, provide information and reassurance.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13349749 ... _outbreak/
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Dream trip turns into a nightmare for woman, 30, locked in quarantine in Thailand

Post by JamesWest »

so how did she get to HH? Taxi? Train? Mini bus?

staying at the Por Promin Muay Thai camp alone? no one esle there?

did she go to Market Village? Out to dinner?

Last edited by JamesWest on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: Dream trip turns into a nightmare for woman, 30, locked in quarantine in Thailand

Post by Geko »

Yes all very good points. Assume the authorities here are looking into it?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hope she dosn't get hit with a hospital bill.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

one good reason why the Thai police want every farangs location to be reported to immigration by hotels at check in.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

lomuamart wrote:Hope she dosn't get hit with a hospital bill.
good question. i think if she is negative for MERS then no bill, but if positive, then look out...
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

JamesWest wrote:
good question. i think if she is negative for MERS then no bill, but if positive, then look out...
I hardly think so Mr West. It's a stretch to think even these authorities would consider being an innocent bystander is an offence. Kudos to them for making the effort to seek her out, you might be unknowingly benefitting from this right now.... :alien:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: British woman quarantined in Hua Hin over MERS fears

Post by Geko »

Are the Authorities doing anything to track down people she might have been in contact with while in Hua Hin?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Looks like the government will subsidise those requiring quarantine or they'll get moved to a public hospital.
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out for foreigners/tourists.
Fines have also been introduced for those who refuse quarantine:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 63054.html
Must admit that I don't know what the usual procedure is when quarantine is necessary, both here and in other countries.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lomuamart wrote:Looks like the government will subsidise those requiring quarantine or they'll get moved to a public hospital.
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out for foreigners/tourists.
Fines have also been introduced for those who refuse quarantine:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 63054.html
Must admit that I don't know what the usual procedure is when quarantine is necessary, both here and in other countries.
It's quite amazing that an innocent person who sits near to a MERS carrier and is then forced into quarantine or risk being fined, is then going to be subject to a charge, allbeit subsidised.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I wondered why so many passengers on our flight were waring surgical masks.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

J.J.B. wrote:
JamesWest wrote:
I hardly think so Mr West. It's a stretch to think even these authorities would consider being an innocent bystander is an offence. Kudos to them for making the effort to seek her out, you might be unknowingly benefitting from this right now.... :alien:
if you have MERS you are responsible, not a "innocent bystander". no one forced her on that plane. everyone knows the risk. Just like AIDS or the common flu. even if it was not dangerous or contagious , she would have to go the hospital or doctor at some point to seek treatment. of course she would be responsible for the bill for treament, but not quarantine.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

True, you may be responsible for your treatment, depending on how and why it is administered, but I cannot accept that contracting MERS is a wilful or intentional act. As for your assertion that contracting HIV or 'the common flu' are somehow similar suggests you are trying to be amusing or that you are an idiot.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

J.J.B. wrote:True, you may be responsible for your treatment, depending on how and why it is administered, but I cannot accept that contracting MERS is a wilful or intentional act. As for your assertion that contracting HIV or 'the common flu' are somehow similar suggests you are trying to be amusing or that you are an idiot.
thanks for the insult. I never insult people on forums. You might give that some thought. It is extremely rude.

I never said anything about willful or intentional. i said that you are responsible. If I get the flu riding the Skytrain in Bangkok I am responsible. i know the risk. If I get MERS riding the Skytrain in Bangkok I am responsible.

and where do i say contracting AIDS is the same as contracting MERS? I don't. I said you know the risks.

so here is question, how is having unprotected sex with a ladyboy like riding on a passenger plane in the middle east?

answer: you can catch a virus and you know the risks so you are responsible.