Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:29 pm Based on that article one would expect no change at your local bar for a bottle of beer which only increases 2.66Baht.
If would be good if we can get some feedback over the next weeks as to how much bars are increasing prices. A normal commercial practice is to "round up" so people could see a 5 or 10 baht increase per bottle? We'll see.....Pete :cheers:
I'll be back out in a couple of weeks and will happily indulge in a little research!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:29 pm Based on that article one would expect no change at your local bar for a bottle of beer which only increases 2.66Baht.
If would be good if we can get some feedback over the next weeks as to how much bars are increasing prices. A normal commercial practice is to "round up" so people could see a 5 or 10 baht increase per bottle? We'll see.....Pete :cheers:
I'll be back out in a couple of weeks and will happily indulge in a little research!
:thumb: In the back of my head I'm afraid the gougers may be lurking behind some bars. High season approaching, unaware tourists...."let's put the price up XX Baht per bottle, all we have to say is TAX INCREASE...." Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is there any statement on how much draught beer will increase? I can only drink Guinness, and that already requires a mortgage when I go out.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following Bangkok Post article lays it out a bit better than the Nation one:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... recent_box

Cigarettes hardest hit by new excise taxes

Not sure what "high priced beer" is, but it appears to be a decrease?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys this is not a thread about Guinness, it is about tax increases.

:offtopic: please.

Guinness follow-up posts moved here http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16486

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:33 pm
STEVE G wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm

:thumb: In the back of my head I'm afraid the gougers may be lurking behind some bars. High season approaching, unaware tourists...." Pete :cheers:
I'm not sure, when I was in town a couple of months a go, everyone was having" happy hours "and it was the cheapest drinking I've endured in Hua Hin for quite some time, in fact you can stay in happy hour mode from nine in the morning until ten at night if you have the stamina.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Went to a couple of my local bar/restaurants today. One had her 'old stock' bottles marked so she knew which were old price. Both wholesellers had told them that 2.66 baht tax was on all bottles, large and small. With a bit extra for the increased VAT they rounded up an increase of 5 baht for all beers. Consequently, she made the new price from 75 baht for a large Chang to 80 baht passing on the increase of 5 baht. That's fair. However, I bet there are many bars which will add to the increase for their own profit. We'll see.
buksida

Post by buksida »

New tax rates to earn extra 12 billion baht to state coffer
The Excise Department says the new tax rates effective today (Sept 16) will raise prices of unhealthy foods and drinks, while generating 12 billion baht more on taxes from them annually.

Director-general of the Excise Department Mr Somchai Poolsavasdi said the new tax rates will bring about 2% tax burden on business operators from the tax rates they previously paid.

This amounted to 12 billion baht more on tax revenues based on retail prices earned yearly by the department, he said.

But he assured that the new tax rates will meet international standards, be more transparent, basing less on consideration by tax officials, and boosting tax collection efficiency.

The new rates will affect sweetened drinks which were not taxed before such as green tea. It will have to pay 1.13-2.5 baht tax while canned coffee and fruit juices facing 1.35 baht and 6-54 satang respectively.

For soft drinks, energy drinks, sport drinks, canned beer, bottled beer, they all will have higher taxes.

Prices for soft drinks will be 13-50 satang higher; 32-90 satang higher for energetic drinks and mineral drinks; 50 satang for canned beer; 2.66 baht for bottled beer; 8-30 baht for local whiskies; and 3-26 baht for imported whiskies.

Imported wines priced less than 1,000 baht will see higher price of 110 baht more, while imported cigarettes priced less than 60 baht will be 4-15 baht higher per packet, while over 60 baht cigarettes will see 2-14 baht increase in prices.

The Excise Department insisted that officials will take legal action against manufacturers and importers who paid old tax rate for their goods but sell them at new price.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-ta ... te-coffer/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A little late with that news aren't we Buksi. Having a 'senior moment'?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Oops, yeah, my RSS feed is showing me old articles!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from Tesco, and all of their boxes of beer, soft drinks etc seem to have remained unchanged in price.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It was suggested that some retailers will absorb the increase on the more competitive brands. However, it's illegal to raise the price of old stock. I would imagine Tesco has a fair amount of stock to shift before new stock comes into play.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So the likes of 7-11 were illegal :?

I actually agree with you by the way, but how many put their prices up on day 1, irrespective of whether or not it was old stock?

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Spitfire wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 pm Time to start buying those 10 liter boxes of wine from Tesco (Mont Clair) as seems the best deal around now. Beer is about to get expensive, especially if you are drinking out in town. Guess the brief visit tourist 2 week types won't care but foreign residents and the locals will.
I noticed on Monday in Makro they were selling 8 litre boxes of Mont Clair exclusive to Makro. 1,200 Baht I think.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm So the likes of 7-11 were illegal :?

I actually agree with you by the way, but how many put their prices up on day 1, irrespective of whether or not it was old stock?
In a lot of cases, the wholesalers have increased the prices from day 1. Bars and restaurants who don't hold large stocks (usually the case) have no option but to pass on the increase. Thereby the wholesalers are the ones breaking the law imo.