393 killed in road accidents during 6-day New Year holiday

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

393 killed in road accidents during 6-day New Year holiday

Post by Norseman »

A total of 393 people were reportedly killed in road accidents throughout the country during the first six days of the New Year holiday period,
with the Northeastern province of Si Sa Ket topping the chart of provinces having the most fatalities, according to Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit.

The deputy minister said that from Dec 29-Jan 3, the death toll from road accidents reached 393 fatalities, approximately 19 per cent below the previously estimated 483. Most of the reported deaths are in Si Sa Ket where 19 people were killed in two major road mishaps so far.

The Thai government annually launches campaigns to reduce the highway accident death toll nationwide during the long New Year holiday period, targeting to reduce this year's figures to below 456 deaths and 8,203 injuries, compared with last year's 467 deaths.

Despite the death toll's tendency to decline this year, the government will continue its campaign throughout the year, even moreso during the upcoming Songkran Festival in April. With continuing campaigns, it is
expected that figures in death and injuries involving road accidents during important Thai festivals would go down to the level of international standard, Mr. Sermsak said.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya expressed thanks to all those using the roads and to officials who applied their concern and co-operation in applying road traffic safety measures, which helped produce the resultant huge decline of accidents during the New Year holidays, saying the government would continue road safety campaigns until the habit of being fully attentive to highway safety becomes a Thai behaviour.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Thats the problem Norseman they just sit on their big fat asses talking about it rather than doing somthing to stop it while their fellow contrymen die through lack of road awareness , correct training and corrupt policing

you need only to observe the roads in this area no helmets that are of any use ,no road sence what so-ever and the must have five on a bike stunt

And it isnt just the Thais i have seen many Expats no helmets wife and kids on board with no helemts even babies ,,, to be honnest if you dont like kids dont have em,, its too late when they are born dont punish them by driving them around without head protection on the bike driving like Rossi in front of the pack from the start line i mean traffic lights
IT JUST ISNT CLEVER ! you F##K WITS doesnt amatter how good you think you are on the road there's always the baloon who hits you !!!

The uk has points system for bad driving 12 points and your out ! for 12 months and a retest after the fact and the points and fines come fast and furious

riding without a helmet 3 < 5 points and a heafty fine
recurent offences of the same nature more points and bigger fines
12 points don't go far

sorry about that but this subject touches a nerve !!
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

You are right, again, my friend.
If they also could give some attention to the insane u-turns!!!
How many lives are lost in vain because of them?

The authorities want flowers. (Have a go between Cha am and HH and you know what I'm thinking).
Why not spend some of this money to improve traffic danger points?
Illumination, wider turn-offs, improved education, and above all - a quality men in brown force.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The thing that got me today with the published figures was that the number of "accidents" dropped from 4,000 odd last year to not very many.
The spin doctors are here again.
The roads must be safer.
I wonder how many breathalyser tests were carried out during those days and how many were positive.
Guess we'll never know.