Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks DB (I didn't read the comments :oops: ). So, I ask again, "Do you have a reputable news source for this revelation?"
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Possibly. Nothing to indicate foul play yet. Just need to keep an eye on developments.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

An in-depth article about the DNA "evidence". A long read that sticks to facts and not conjecture:

Unlocking the DNA of doubt

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... a-of-doubt

in part: “A fallacy, and that’s what I think happened, is that they’ve tested people until they’ve found people that had components that were in the mixture.” If that is the case, she said, it would mean police have not looked at the whole concept of mixture statistics.

“How they could have ignored mixture statistics defies belief, and shows an absolute ignorance of the literature of the last 20 years and all international guidelines,” she said. (says it all really)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Good article, but a hard read and very complicated and there is your problem. My understanding is that DNA evidence is better at establishing a negative than a positive, Its an oversimplification but its better at saying--Its NOT him than saying it IS him. In western countries there are now lawyers who have spent the time to become fully educated in this area and do nothing but DNA work. It seems so bizarre to bring an expert from Aus here and then not put her on the stand. She was obviously going to say that the police and prosecutors were a bunch of idiots and even the defense lawyers would not like the whole system to be challenged.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:Thanks DB (I didn't read the comments :oops: ). So, I ask again, "Do you have a reputable news source for this revelation?"
Is this the item in question:

Young British tourist Luke Miller found dead on Thai backpacker murder island

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... sland.html

Luke Miller's body found in hotel swimming pool on holiday island where two British backpackers were bludgeoned to death in 2014

By Philip Sherwell, Bangkok
2:44PM GMT 09 Jan 2016
A young British tourist has been found dead on the same small Thai holiday island where two British backpackers were bludgeoned to death.

Luke Miller, 27, from Newport, Isle of Wight was found floating in a hotel swimming pool by staff in Koh Tao on Friday. His body has been taken by boat to the mainland for an autopsy.
By a chilling coincidence, the dead man shared the same surname and came from the same part of Britain as one of the 2014 murder victims – David Miller, 24, from Jersey.

Luke Miller flew to Thailand with a friend from the Isle of Wight on Dec 22 for a five-week “holiday of the lifetime”. He posted several entries on social media about his revelries at parties, including a full moon celebration and New Year’s Eve.
In one the last posts, Mr Miller that he was “living life to the full”.
About 80 Britons a year die in Thailand, mainly in tourist areas. The circumstances surrounding Mr Miller’s death are unclear as local authorities pursue their investigations.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

On our local radio station the friends of the deceased have set up a fund raising page on Facebook to repatriate the mans body to his family.
So far they have raised six and a half thousand pounds.
My condolences go out to the Miller family.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think there's anything new here, but a family member having a dig at the system:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... erous-trap

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:I don't think there's anything new here, but a family member having a dig at the system:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... erous-trap
Not only having a dig but also claiming death threats against her, saying that the job is only 50% done! Clearly we can not comment freely but if you have VPN access, the reported world is your oyster.
It is reported that the family are looking for the correct way to tell their story of events and very inappropriate statements made to them by the Thai authorities

So much for their earlier pre-prepared press statements from the UK foreign office.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thai authorities told family of murdered backpacker to ‘go make another one’, claims sister
THE sister of a British backpacker brutally murdered on the Thai holiday island of Koh Tao has launched a scathing attack on Thai authorities on Facebook.

Laura Witheridge’s sister Hannah and another British backpacker were found bludgeoned to death on a beach on the idyllic Thai island in September 2014. Two Burmese migrants have been sentenced to death for the murders amid allegations of torture and mismanagement of the case by Thai police.

Monday’s Facebook post by Laura Witheridge, which followed the death of another British backpacker on Koh Tao last week, is the most candid statement yet by a member of the murdered backpackers’ families.

In a paragraph that has since been removed from the Facebook post, Witheridge wrote:

“Some of the things said to my bereaved, heart-broken family by the judges and court officials at the trial of the two Burmese migrants-

* ‘why are you here? Why do you care? She is dead already’

* ‘why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one’

* ‘why are you making such a fuss. She will be back in 30 days as something else, she may have better luck next time.’

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/01/t ... ms-sister/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Hackers bring down Thai websites over British murders verdict"

"BANGKOK (Reuters) - International hacking movement Anonymous said it attacked hundreds of Thai government websites on Wednesday over death sentences handed down to two migrant workers for the murder of two British tourists. ..."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/hackers-brin ... 55847.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Murder in Paradise - Koh Tao

Post by GLCQuantum »

I wasn't sure where to put this - 'entertainment' didn't fit right.

For any of you who have Thai Expat TV or the like, last Wednesday on channel 4, there is a documentary about the shambolic handling of the Koh Tao double murder. It comes from the 'Murder in Paradise' series. There isn't anything on youtube yet so can't post the video.

With previously unseen interviews and footage, it makes for interesting viewing. It shows how utterly inept the Thai police were in this case.

I didn't know that, before the murders, there were only six (yes 6!) police officers on the island.

:banghead:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The appeal just submitted regarding the conviction of those two Burmese guys is an interesting read. Lots of evidence proved wrong by the British autopsy.

source: http://www.samuitimes.com/koh-tao-murde ... nvictions/
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Andrew Drummond reported on this on the 24th May and raises some interesting other concerns.

http://www.andrew-drummond.news/koh-tao ... se-thrown/
Talk is cheap