Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by PeteC »

Strange.....since I initially posted that Bangkok Post link at 1225 hours, the paper seems to have gone back in and further blurred the photo of the two men. It was 100% more clear originally. Perhaps afraid of a law suit.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

The British Press, ITV and Daily Mirror are reporting a "brakthrough" reported earlier today by Thailand PBS

Reports of Thai murder arrests "within this week"
http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update ... this-week/

Media reports in Thailand claim police are almost ready to arrest and charge more than one suspect over the murders of former Leeds University student David Miller and fellow backpacker Hannah Witheredge.

The Broadcast outfit Thai PBS quotes Southern police chief Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen as saying police have now gained enough evidence to arrest more than one person over the murder of the two British tourists in Koh Tao.

He is said to have "expressed confidence' that they will be arrested and charged within this week.

It's also reported that police have dismissed news report that the tourists might have been killed by local mafias after having heated argument with them. And that two suspects who were speed boat employees had been cleared after DNA testing did not match that found at the scene and on one of the bodies.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Another shocker of an article concerning who one of the suspects is. :shock:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crimes/ ... ao-murders
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ if you check the Andrew Drummond report the second suspect is apparently the son of a high ranking island politician.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Reminds one of another island murder by a prominent local's son named Joran Van Der Sloot.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Oh no they're not....Your link was yesterday's news. from the same PBS site, today they are saying "New twist in murder of two Brits in Koh Tao"
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-tw ... s-koh-tao/

This tragic event has caused a media feeding frenzy and the police seem only too happy to feed them with premature arrests, suspects, prospects........
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And so the circus continues, yes we have him, no we don't, we know who did it, no we don't.
I see no post on this thread for 24 h, why? Because we all know that this is probably going nowhere and are tired of the circus, that's what usually happens.
There seems to be info that the army is getting increasingly involved, that might help, don't hold your breath,
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Don't know why it's taking them so long, every other time a crime hits the papers it's done and dusted, wrapped up with a perp presented within a day or two......almost every time. If it were a local fisherman or dive boat captain having been killed it would already have been solved and brushed under the carpet, case closed and let's forget and move on.

It wouldn't surprise me if they know who really did it but are being pressured to find a way out that satisfies all parties and the watchful media. The problem with this crime is that there is so much attention from everywhere, with tourism sensitivities abound, that they don't really know what to do as the usual MO won't fly and will get picked to bits by someone........but I can't see them presenting a politician's relative (or a powerful land owner / village headman) as the guilty party, even if it was him.

Remember all, the rich and powerful here can do anything and get away with it and frequently they do....Mercedes bust stop killer, underage Army general's daughter that rammed a minibus full of university students of the road and was pictured posting on Facebook just after she had killed them all, Red Bull brat that killed the policeman (FFS) is a sports car, rich kid in the Porche that cut the Lao girl in half.....and on and on and on.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've seen nothing at all in the normal news sources today. Pete
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

NOW THAILAND’S MILITARY RULER SENDS TROOPS TO MURDER ISLAND

Businessman and local police - by Sean
McAnna who thought they were mafia
The son of a Thai person of influence on the Thai holiday island of Koh Tao has denied he was on the run from Thai police today as Thailand’s military ruler deployed his own team to shake up a murder investigated rife with controversy.

The 22-year-old man told the ‘Kom Chat Leuk’ newspaper that he was in Bangkok to study at university and he had many witnesses and also CCTV to prove where he was at the time Britons Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, were hacked to death on the small island in the Gulf of Thailand.

“I am not afraid,” the 22-year-old said: ‘I have done nothing wrong.”

His statement came after more claims made by police were reported in the Thai and foreign press promising police would solve the case within 48 hours and announcing they were looking for the son of a village head man who had gone to Bangkok.

Meanwhile Thai Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-Ocha says he has ordered a crackdown on ‘influential rackets’ and ‘illegitimate businesses’ on Koh Tao. His men were there already and he was sending down a team of his own, he said.

‘Assigning soldiers might seem a bit draconian,” he told the Nation newspaper in Bangkok, ‘But this is the right time now.”

Commenting on reports that Koh Tao was ruled by mafia families with intimidatory tactics and violence, Bangkok’s Deputy Police Chief Somyot Pumpanmuang however said there were ‘definitely no such influential groups.”

This however flies in the face of island tradition. A New Zealand long stay resident on Koh Tao, who has now left, has gone on the net to give a potted history of the island’s violent incidents.

However ‘Mike E’ said the island was comparatively safe because the island’s strongmen, not police made it that way. The police’s main occupation was to collect money from drugs and motor-bike rental scams. They rarely arrested people as it was better and easier to get the cash from tourists.

The island strongmen did however feud among each other and in 2002 Virat Asavachin, 42, chairman of Koh Tao’s Administrative Association, was shot six times near Sairee Beach by a lone gunman in a woolen balaclava. Nobody was convicted of his murder.

Referring to Sean McAnna, from Shotts, Lanarkshire, who fled the AC bar on Sairee Beach fearing he would be lynched Mike E says: “I think had Sean not made his outburst that he probably would have ended up either dead, or blamed for the whole situation. I have absolutely zero faith in the Thai justice system or any island police officers ability to do their job.”

The Bangkok Post is today reporting that police were at Lotus Bar where ‘Mr. McAnna was allegedly seen asking some staff to help wipe bloodstains off his body before he fled the island’. There may be nothing significant in this.

Police have already interviewed the foreigners, and Burmese immigrants and failed to find the culprits. As has become quite clear they have left all the Thai businessmen, bar and resort owners, to the end.

Source: Mr D

All beginning to smell IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Commenting on reports that Koh Tao was ruled by mafia families with intimidatory tactics and violence, Bangkok’s Deputy Police Chief Somyot Pumpanmuang however said there were "definitely no such influential groups.”
:lach:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Being blessed with the BIB we don't need criminals
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Those of you who may have spent some time in remote Thai villages will no doubt know how laws are enforced. I certainly did when parked in my hammock in the wilds of Khon Kaen province. The headman, elders and their foot-soldiers take care of local issues without involving official police (although sometimes they are involved).

Punishment is metered our by them for incidents that need not be communicated beyond the village perimeter. If the REAL police (regional or from Bangkok) appear they seem to disappear into the surrounding jungle and everyone is too scared to jeopardize their existence. Local semi official police will not be too fussed as they can quite happily carry on strutting round in their shiny boots or watching TV with their Lao Khow
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Pls. take in consideration that unsolved crimes exist worldwide even in your home countries and also mine.