Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by sateeb »

Pretty much what I was thinking. As en ex cop I would very much doubt it. It opens up a whole can of worms particularly with evidence gathering. I would put it down to island gossip or some drunken Walter Mitty in a bar pretending to be undercover.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am not sure that the guys from the Yard can affect the course of things now BUT it is really good that the Thai police will realize that the world is watching them and OMG, they may LOOSE FACE.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If I was the Burmese Minister of Tourism, I would make sure that the parents of the accused had everything at their disposal to question the arrest and to keep the pot boiling.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A positive development, but why has it taken so long?

DNA test for AC Bar owner’s son

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... wner-s-son
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I'd be more convinced if the DNA was taken and tested by an independent source approved by the UK and Myanmar. I still think it stinks and the headman throwing threats around sounds dodgy
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

After all of the delays and possible contamination, whose to say that the original DNA samples are the correct ones?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

richard wrote:I'd be more convinced if the DNA was taken and tested by an independent source approved by the UK and Myanmar. I still think it stinks and the headman throwing threats around sounds dodgy
Definitely. Got to be independent.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I think it's a Thai engineered whitewash. After all, a Thai could never commit such a crime especially one belonging to a headman's family. After this parade (facade) in public media will be able to announce that Thailand is now safe and tourist figures will boom
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, this should be interesting:
Koh Tao suspects offered new DNA tests

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -dna-tests

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Wednesday that police will allow two Myanmar men accused of killing a pair of British tourists on Koh Tao to have another DNA test, as questions mount over the murder probe.

"We will allow the suspects to fight the case, however they want," Gen Prayut told reporters after a weekly cabinet meeting. "We have no problem conducting another DNA tests if (sceptics) think the released (DNA) results were not correct or not fair."

It was not immediately clear if the accused had requested a second DNA test.
...............>

British police were allowed to observe the investigation after the UK expressed concerns and offered to help with the probe.

On Wednesday, Gen Prayut said the British investigators were satisfied and had expressed those sentiments to their Thai counterparts.

The general claimed British officers had said Thai authorities had done better than they expected and that the investigation had been carried out the same way they would have done it, because both British and Thai police studied from the "same textbooks." :roll:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Burmese embassy requests reopening Koh Tao murder case

The Burmese embassy’s legal team has requested reopening the investigation into the murder of two British citizens on the Thai island of Koh Tao.

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant told DVB that the embassy made the request to Thailand’s Ministry of Legal Affairs on Monday evening on the basis that confessions by Burmese suspects Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun were made under duress of torture.

“The kids [Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun] have told the Thai human rights commission, the lawyers, our embassy team and their parents on each occasion that they were beaten by police,” he said. “Therefore we requested that a special team be formed to reinvestigate the case. We presented a written letter of request to a ministry official.”

Aung Myo Thant said that he and the embassy team had met with members of the Thai Lawyers Council, the country’s Human Rights Commission and the suspects’ parents from 1pm to 3:30pm on Monday, 3 November.

Full story: DVB
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Latest: Police refuse to answer torture claim.
The HNRC will file complaint with police if doesn't respond to request for explanation.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Big Boy wrote:Burmese embassy requests reopening Koh Tao murder case

The Burmese embassy’s legal team has requested reopening the investigation into the murder of two British citizens on the Thai island of Koh Tao.

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant told DVB that the embassy made the request to Thailand’s Ministry of Legal Affairs on Monday evening on the basis that confessions by Burmese suspects Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun were made under duress of torture.

“The kids [Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun] have told the Thai human rights commission, the lawyers, our embassy team and their parents on each occasion that they were beaten by police,” he said. “Therefore we requested that a special team be formed to reinvestigate the case. We presented a written letter of request to a ministry official.”

Aung Myo Thant said that he and the embassy team had met with members of the Thai Lawyers Council, the country’s Human Rights Commission and the suspects’ parents from 1pm to 3:30pm on Monday, 3 November.

Full story: DVB
All of this, 'We were beaten and forced to give a confession', is irrelevant if the right procedures have been carried out regarding the DNA. Unfortunately, it is too late in the game now to know if the DNA that the Thai police matched with the Burmese men (taken from the murdered lady) is in fact their actual DNA or was it a stitch up.

A horrible case that the Thai police have brought upon themselves, but I don't think people should focus too much on the 'beaten into a confession' part. Every police force in the world still uses such tactics. in England it is no longer physical torture, but mental torture; no sleep, repeated questions, isolation, no sleep... aaand broken - after many many hours!

Everything is about the DNA. If the process was carried out properly, and the recovered DNA from the lady matches those two guys... they shouldn't have needed to beat anyone into submission. The bloody DNA matches.

As it stands, the families still have no closure on who killed their children- and I have a feeling that they never will. :|
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

GLCQuantum wrote:in England it is no longer physical torture, but mental torture; no sleep, repeated questions, isolation, no sleep... aaand broken - after many many hours!
I know a few Police officers who would like to employ those tactics, but the requirements of PACE get in the way, not to mention wall to wall cctv etc.
Talk is cheap
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

caller wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:in England it is no longer physical torture, but mental torture; no sleep, repeated questions, isolation, no sleep... aaand broken - after many many hours!
I know a few Police officers who would like to employ those tactics, but the requirements of PACE get in the way, not to mention wall to wall cctv etc.
Is that what they tell you?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

pdm3547 wrote:
caller wrote:
Is that what they tell you?
Surely interrogating someone has to be at least a bit arduous, I don't suppose many criminals are going to readily admit their guilt over a friendly chat with tea and biscuits. Obviously you need a dividing line between stitching up anyone for political reasons and being too easy on genuine wrong doers.