Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
lomuamart

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by lomuamart »

A follow up article in The Guardian to the one above:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... mafia-fear
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand lays backpacker murder charges against Burmese suspects
Two Burmese men have been formally charged with the murders of British backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Thailand after a long and much-criticised police investigation.

Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, both 21, were arrested a fortnight after Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk, and Miller, 24, from Jersey, were found dead on a beach on Koh Tao, a popular holiday island in Thailand.

Police said the suspects, who worked in bars on the island, had confessed. However, the men soon retracted these admissions, saying they had been obtained through torture.

Rights groups, including Amnesty International, have expressed alarm at the investigation, as has the British government, which sent Metropolitan police detectives to Thailand to review the case.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/d ... vid-miller
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The family of Hannah Witheridge, the Norfolk woman killed in Thailand, tonight (Friday) issued a statement saying they are confident of the investigation carried out by both British and Thai police into her death.

23 year old Hannah and her friend David Miller were killed on the island of Koh Tao earlier this year. Two Burmese men have been charged with their murder. Hannah's family said tonight they have met with the police officers who traveled to Thailand to review the case. They ask for the details of the case not to be made public before the trial and ask for their privacy to be respected.

Here is their statement in full:

UK detectives travelled to Thailand last month to “observe and review” the murder case of our precious Daughter Hannah, and also that of David Miller. We would like to thank the officers who travelled to Thailand to review the case and the Royal Thai Police for facilitating their visit.

Since their return we have been able to meet with these officers together with our family liaison officers to learn about the investigation. There is a great deal of detail and vast areas of investigative work which has been shared with us. We respect the need for such detail not to be shared publically before Royal Thai Police start their trial process.

We would like to stress that as a family we are confident in the work that has been carried out into these atrocious crimes and want to remind both press and public that they do not have the full facts to report and make comment on at this stage. Current news reporting is causing undue distress to our family.

We ask as a family, as we have throughout, that we are afforded privacy and that Hannah and David are afforded their dignity during this time of immense pain and difficulty.

Our thoughts, as always, are with the Miller family. Together we stand united and focused on seeing a fair and transparent trial process to bring about justice for our beautiful children.

– The family of Hannah Witheridge

The family of David Miller say they are united in their grief with the Witheridge family and also back the police investigation

Source:http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2 ... stigation/
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

They've pleaded NOT guilty

No leniency for admission of guilt then. How unusual in Thailand

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/0 ... HR20141208
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Its the right move.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I'm not sure I understand...

It's the right move because they are guilty? Or, it's the right move because they are innocent?

If they are guilty, it's the wrong move as it causes more suffering for the families involved. If they are innocent it's the right move as they are innocent. Do you know something that we don't?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

What is the 'right move'>
The two have pleaded 'NOT GUILTY' and both the families of the victims and the UK police (having access to info not available to the public) have endorsed the Thai police investigation. That implies that even after the UK police involvement, they think the two have a difficult case to answer.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

If both of you had followed the story since beginning you would understand that as considered by a majority innocent, and as they said they are innocent, they did the right move.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

When all looks grim for the accused innocents will plead guilty to get the sentence halved
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I'm not sure that they were given a 'plead guilty and get a halved sentence' option in this case. Can you imagine the further uproar from the international community if they got a cut sentence for pleading guilty?

Maybe someone more clued up on the case can clarify.

:cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

But in this case it could be the difference between the death penalty and life imprisonment (i.e. 20 years)
buksida

Post by buksida »

Koh Tao suspects seek Suu Kyi’s help
Two Myanmar suspects in the murder of two British tourists in Thailand have asked fellow Myanmar national Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to help their case, reasoning they are innocent.

According to Sein Htay, director of Bangkok-based Migrant Workers Network, the two suspects wanted Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to help them for their justice as she is an international icon and also an influential person in Thailand.

He said they were seeking help from all sectors as they said they did nothing wrong in the case.

Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, both 21, were arrested in October and confessed to the crimes, but later retracted their confessions saying they were tortured and forced to confess.

David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found dead on September 15 on Sairee beach on Koh Tao, 350 kilometres south of Bangkok. Ms Witheridge was also found to be raped and slain.

British and Myanmar envoys have raised concerns about the Thai investigation, with Britain sending a police team as observers.

The National Human Rights Commission of Thailand has also expressed concern about the alleged forced confessions.

But Thai police have denied the accusations of torture or misconduct.

The victims’ families said last week the evidence against the Myanmar suspects is convincing, after British detectives sent to Thailand reviewed the police findings.

Last week, the Samui prosecutor filed five charges against Zaw Lin – the murder of Miller, the rape and murder of Witheridge, illegal entry into Thailand and staying in the country without permission.

Wai Phyo faces the same charges and an additional charge of stealing a mobile phone and sunglasses from Miller.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/koh-ta ... -kyis-help
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Koh Tao Suspects Innocent: Govt Investigation Team
A team formed by the Burmese government to investigate the Koh Tao case has announced that it is confident the two Burmese nationals accused of the double murder are innocent of the crime.

Three members of a special support team operating out of the Burmese Embassy in Thailand told a press conference on Thursday that Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, would be exonerated of the September murder of British tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Koh Tao, but it will take time, money and effort for the truth to be fully revealed.

“However the Thai judiciary decides on the case, it is our belief that these two kids did not commit the crime,” said Htoo Chit, a spokesman for the investigation. “According to what we know and eyewitness information we have gathered, we believe they are innocent.”

As a longtime migrant rights activist and executive director of the Foundation for Education and Development, Htoo Chit said that the case against the pair had important ramifications for migrant workers in Thailand from across the region.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/koh-tao- ... -team.html
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This should help Thailands tarnished image no end:
.......................................................................................
Koh Tao trial to start July 8

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/4 ... h-tao-pair

The two Myanmar men accused of murdering two British tourists on Koh Tao will spend another seven months in jail before their trial begins.

The court in Koh Samui on Friday set July 8 as the first day of witness testimony in the trial of Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, both 21. It will hear prosecution witnesses from July 8 to Aug 28, followed by defence witnesses from Sept 1-25.

The court rejected a defence request to allow witnesses who believe they are at risk to give their testimony in Bangkok, saying the Samui courthouse was safe.

Investigators working for the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok last week said potential witnesses able to prove the men were innocent were too scared to appear in court for fear of retribution by Thai police or their former employers.

"Now we have witnesses but the problem is they are scared. We might need more time and we might have to go to Myanmar to meet them," Nakorn Chompoochart, the head of the legal team, told reporters outside the court

"I'm confident because we have enough information to convince the court that the two did not commit the crime.".........................>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

maybe the courthouse is safe but what,when they're not in the courthouse ?

:cheers: :cheers: