Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by J.J.B. »

HHTel wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:53 am What a load of c**p and not even factual! Shameful reporting.
Quest is an acquired taste, at best. I have never trusted his delivery and I question his probity as a credible journalist. He's more self-publicist than journalist and falls in the Piers Morgan category of bottom-dweller; anything for a quick buck.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Heard it was really quiet in Hua Hin currently? my cousin is there now and said he's never seen it that quiet, ever?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

April and May are always quiet--all the scandis gone back home, no summer tourists yet and unbearable heat. not to mention the fact that the Chinese find HH t be dull. Best to keep it that way.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Maybe the word is getting out, it's not worth the hassle of visiting anymore, if it ever was. If already at the airport, beaches you can actually swim in, just an hour plus flight away.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

A bar owner told me that last year before songran he was satisfied with tourists at Binta, but this year it was disappointing.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just been down to our beach and I was the only person in sight for 20 kilometers. Every resort on the beach is empty at the moment.

If that isn't a tourist slump I dont know what is. What are things like in Hua Hin?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I went for my monthly beer in a popular bar last week, and there were 6 others in all evening.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yesterday Market Village was packed not a single parking space available.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I would not agree that tourist numbers are down at all, maybe in HH they are but not overall. Personally I would be happy with no tourists.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/tourist-arrivals
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

We all know those figures are bullshit, made up by the department of Tourism BS to justify their jobs. They include all airport landings, transits, citizens of neighboring countries crossing borders, burmese workers, 90 day visa runners are counted as 4 tourists within a year, any way they can to boost that figure. I bet if you correlate that with revenue from international tourists it will be the inverse.

You only have to open your eyes to see that foreign tourist numbers are way down from previous years.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

dont you think that number of cars in a mall is a better indication of Thai customers rather than foreign tourists.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:43 am I would not agree that tourist numbers are down at all, maybe in HH they are but not overall. Personally I would be happy with no tourists.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/tourist-arrivals
This is where we confuse ourselves with definition of tourist.

Are we talking all foreign visitors? Visitors from the West? Bangkokians? Somebody nipping down from Cha-Am for a couple of hours?

Depending on your definition, will have a huge influence on your perception of the tourist situation.

We have a party house 2 doors away from us (absolutely no bother whatsoever, in fact I think we may be too noisy for them some nights), they have no shortage of customers. So if you ask them, they will say tourism is fine.

As I said, I went for my monthly fix of beer last week. What is normally a very busy bar was dead as a dodo. Ask the owner of that bar, and he will tell you that tourism is in the pits of low season.

Personally, I have 2 marks on my yardstick:
  • How many people abreast are walking down Soi 94 - at the moment, it indicates most Snowbirds have migrated.
  • How many cars are on Hua Hin's roads each weekend - especially with the Jazz Festival and recent public holidays, Thai visitor levels are high.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My understanding is that Chinese tourists don't like Hua Hin too much. Those graphs and statistics reflect the huge increase in Chinese tourists but you're not seeing it there. Other places continue to be full and it doesn't seem there is a "low season" here for them. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I notice plenty of Chinese in Hua Hin Market Village and the night market. But they tend to be young couples, small groups of young friends or young families. Nothing disruptive. None of the big tour groups and their buses that Pattaya apparently gets. I think it was the same when the Russians were a new thing.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

It's very quiet.
I was here at near enough this time last year and it was far busier then.
Each time I've been in Bluport and MV it's been quiet too.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.