Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by StevePIraq »

the following gives the figures, mostly Chinese these days.

As I said I could care less if there were no tourists in Hua Hin. The first post in this thread referred to an article on international arrivals.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourists-na ... ailand.asp
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

More figures plucked out of thin air on a non-official website, what is the source of these magic numbers I wonder ... hmmm TAT by any chance :idea:

I'd love to see accurate numbers for revenue which is what actually counts at the end of the day.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, my party house owner is probably quids in still. My popular bar owner, is probably surviving on somtam and a bowl of rice at the moment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Precisely.

I wonder if those that say they couldn't give a hoot about tourism would still live in Hua Hin if there were no restaurants, cafes, bars, golf courses, shopping malls, activities, etc, and it was essentially a little nondescript Thai village like Thap Sakae or Tha Yang.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally, I'm not a touristy person, and always did my touristing in low season.

A for the second part, no, I couldn't live outside a tourist town. Rather the pain of tourists 6 months a year than living in the wilderness.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

buksida wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 pm Precisely.

I wonder if those that say they couldn't give a hoot about tourism would still live in Hua Hin if there were no restaurants, cafes, bars, golf courses, shopping malls, activities, etc, and it was essentially a little nondescript Thai village like Thap Sakae or Tha Yang.
Exactly, selfish attitude considering they were all tourists here once, and elsewhere for that matter too.
Now they're just long term tourists :wink:

Most be quite tough for business owners, Thai and farang. :(
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Back to the stats. The Malaysian numbers. Shopping is cheaper in THai border towns than in M and many of those entries are M people coming for an hours shopping plus some M men coming for a "night out"
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

buksida wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:09 pm More figures plucked out of thin air on a non-official website, what is the source of these magic numbers I wonder ... hmmm TAT by any chance :idea:

I'd love to see accurate numbers for revenue which is what actually counts at the end of the day.
My first post was Trading Economics a very reliable source for world wide data. The second was pure chance finding it. Whichever way you look at it international arrivals are way up from a few years ago.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

I disagree as these figures are manipulated and provided by TAT who are the only ones that measure arrivals and departures - therefore they are effectively meaningless. Just walking around any tourist town with your eyes open, or talking to hoteliers, tour operators, and business owners that have been here for years, will tell you there are fewer foreign tourists than a few years ago.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

buksida

Post by buksida »

What does it prove? Where are they and where are the revenue figures?

Quote all the stats you want, tourism is a dead duck in many places and the Chinese do very little for Thais.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The Chinese are not quite zero-spending tourists. They do pay for accommodation and meals--all bargained down to the lowest possible price. Plus hiring of busses and a little extra shopping. Not nearly as much as Europeans, I admit. They do love the transvestite shows and the 2 showplaces in Patts are packed every night.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Having first settled here in 1990 I actually preferred it then. Perhaps Hua Hin has grown beyond what is needed. Are two large malls necessary and multiple Starbucks? Do we need so many drinking areas. Soi Rainoon used to be a nice residential street. Expansion yes but over expansion?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Needed, apparently so. Supply and Demand.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Tell you what.......I play golf four times a week at Palm Hills. Notwithstanding its the slow season this is the slowest year I've ever seen there.....twelve players booked one day, 20 another. The place is virtually dead except for the clubs that have regular attendance from non-tourists.