Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by usual suspect »

Many folk are saying H.H. is getting quieter, & that high-season numbers are fading now..yesterday my mate went to check at the bus station for availability & times for his airport trip on April 12th..& the lady behind the counter suggested he booked there+then!.."Not wait" she said..every bus full for next 2 weeks!
Must that time of year when way more are going than coming.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from the airport. We got there at about 12:15 - the next available seats to those who hadn't booked were 17:30, so busy to Hua Hin also.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

usual suspect wrote:Many folk are saying H.H. is getting quieter, & that high-season numbers are fading now..yesterday my mate went to check at the bus station for availability & times for his airport trip on April 12th..& the lady behind the counter suggested he booked there+then!.."Not wait" she said..every bus full for next 2 weeks!
April 12 is the day before Songkran. All transport is full then
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

usual suspect wrote:Many folk are saying H.H. is getting quieter, & that high-season numbers are fading now..yesterday my mate went to check at the bus station for availability & times for his airport trip on April 12th..& the lady behind the counter suggested he booked there+then!.."Not wait" she said..every bus full for next 2 weeks!
I would imagine nearly every seat going anywhere will be booked up on the day before Songkran. Everybody wants to get home for the Holidays.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

I booked the bus for the 11th April to Swampy 3 weeks ago, wasn't taking a chance.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

reem, that isa very astute analysis, I will use that saying, if I may.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Russians spent nearly $2 billion in Thailand in 2015

https://ethailand.com/business-news/rus ... n=Outbrain

Russia ranks second after the UK among European citizens spending their holidays in Thailand.

Russian visitors to the Asian nation spent nearly $2 billion in the country during 2015, says Vladimir Sosnov, the chief of the consulate department at the Russian embassy in Bangkok.
“Thailand’s Sports and Tourism Ministry sent us a statistical report on how Russians spend their holidays” said Sosnov, adding that major spending is related to hotels, food and shopping.

Figures from 2015 show that a large proportion of spending by Russians is for accommodation costs at 29 percent, with a similar figure going towards food and shopping at 23 percent each. Transport and entertainment contributed to 10 percent of the total.

Shopping in Thailand cost Russians $443 million, sightseeing $77 million and entertainment spending $196 million.

“Russia ranks second after the UK among European countries’ nationals spending their vacations in Thailand,” Sosnov said, adding that Russia is ninth among all countries. “If comparing the spending, Chinese, Malaysian and UK nationals top the rank, followed by Russia in fourth place.”

“Each Russian national spent approximately $130 in Thailand per day,” he said, adding that the average length of a holiday is 17 days.

Last year tourism in Thailand, which is contributes 10 precent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product, experienced significant growth. The total amount of foreign tourists reached record-breaking 29.8 million visitors, an increase of 20 percent according to the ministry.

Last year over 880,000 Russians visited Thailand for a holiday.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Approx $814 for each Russian - IMHO not a lot. At least, I used to spend a hell of a lot more when here on holiday.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

130 x 17 not = 814, BB.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

TIT hhinner. We know that TAT do the maths, and then present whatever figure they think is acceptable.

I added the 3 figures quoted and divided by the number of visitors.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Why not use the first figure quoted (nearly 2 billion)?

But using only shopping,sightseeing and entertainment? What about food (23%) and accommodation (29%)? But you're right about TAT. And Thai journalists don't know enough simple arithmetic to see how numbers never seem to add up.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I have a friend in Hua Hin that justs gets a taxi from Hua Hin
right to Swampy. It may be a bit more expensive than the bus that goes right to
the airport, but it is very convenient. I have heard that the tourists still came to Hua Hin in large
numbers, but when I was there in December I noticed that the numbers were down from 3 and 4 years ago.
When I visited the tourists places like the temples in and around the area, there were lots of
Thai tourists, but only a few tour buses. In Hua Hin, I noticed a lot less in the night markets and
along the beaches at Hua Hin. I still plan to go to Hua Hin, but I would be very cautious to buy
a condo or house anywhere in Thailand, as I see so many sitting empty, and hearing the stories of
how hard it is to sell, unless you have some good connections. Thankfully I have a Thai family where I can stay with in both BKK and a couple of other places. I will consider myself to be one of the lucky ones.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand risks losing 200,000 visitors after blasts
Thailand could lose up to 200,000 foreign visitors and more than 10 billion baht in tourism revenue this year, the head of its tourism authority said on Monday, after a series of deadly blasts in tourist towns last week.

The wave of attacks in places including the seaside town of Hua Hin and the island of Phuket, is the biggest challenge to an industry that has weathered more than a decade of instability and bounced back from violence over recent years.

Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the state Tourism Authority of Thailand, said the attacks could result in long-term losses in terms of tourist revenue and arrivals, mainly from other Asian countries.

"By the year end, there could be about 100,000 to 200,000 travel cancellations," he said in a statement.

"That would cost about 5.08 billion baht to 10.16 billion baht."

Tourism accounts for 10% of Thai gross domestic product and is one of the few bright spots in an economy that has struggled under the stewardship of a military government that seized power in a bloodless coup two years ago.

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... ter-blasts
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It is really is not surprising that tourist numbers go down after an incident such as this, the same happens all over the world. For Thailand I can only hope this is a small blip in tourist number as Thailand relies so heavily on tourism for income.

Personally I quite like less tourists in HH/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

News of the highly popular Pokémon Go game being restricted in Thailand took a 180-degree turn when the government decided the game could help save the country’s tourism industry instead.

Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkan Wattanawarangun said she wishes to talk to the Pokémon Go creators in Japan, in hopes that they’ll be willing to offer a helping hand by increasing the amount of attainable rare pokémons in Thailand, as well as increase the amount of Pokéstops and gyms.

Maybe one day we’ll see a Tauros roaming around a local rice paddies, instead of having to go all the way to North America to catch it. It certainly looks close enough to our water buffaloes.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/17/t ... pokemon-go

Thoughts............ I've never met a single person that actually plays the game, so I wonder what market they are targetting. :?

Points 41; Position 18