Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Ropes

Thailand tourism situation

Post by Ropes »

According to the Bangkok Post the slump continues.

Link : http://bangkokpost.com/most-recent/432538

From what I see with my own eyes in Hua Hin and Cha Am I think the figures are worse than stated. Still I suspect more figures will emerge soon showing a growth in tourism.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Tourist Slump Continues

Post by Bristolian »

Most Western holiday makers book their hols at least 6 months in advance. This fact seems to elude the TAT and they always seem to believe that recovery can happen overnight.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

In Cambodia there is a lot of fun and cheaper than Thailand. Myanmar is an emerging tourist destination. Don't forget Vietnam, a serious competitor: Beaches, culture, nice food and and cheap...
Can buy alcoholic drinks any time and cheaper than Thailand.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Good time to book. My daughter has just secured a direct EVA return flight from Heathrow to BK in early January for just over 500 quid
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ Just booked Christmas flights for my son and I to go to the UK. EVA was by far the best price for a direct flight. The airlines are clearly suffering also, maybe Thai Airways will get the message soon as well.... Maybe!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I've been looking at flights for next month and they're rock bottom, I know October is normally pretty cheap but these are some of the lowest prices I've ever seen.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Will it generate a knock on effect? Cheaper hotels, cheaper golf, cheaper bars, cheaper girls and cheaper internal transport. No bloody way :banghead:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Talking of slow recovery, the convention and meeting bookings are usually at least a year in advance and this part of the business is very sensitive to govt advisories. Hotel people tell me that the next 12 months looks very bad for this business.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

oakdale160 wrote:Talking of slow recovery, the convention and meeting bookings are usually at least a year in advance and this part of the business is very sensitive to govt advisories. Hotel people tell me that the next 12 months looks very bad for this business.
I also wonder if the 'mid range' hotels who normally take block booking on board about now from overseas agents will be suffering too
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

richard wrote:Will it generate a knock on effect? Cheaper hotels, cheaper golf, cheaper bars, cheaper girls and cheaper internal transport. No bloody way :banghead:
Maybe all of that except cheaper golf in Hua Hin...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

I had to book a quick flight back to the UK returning near Christmas so had to expect to pay a higher than normal price.

EVA 38000 baht
THAI 56000 baht.

Not sure if Thai Airways are getting the message are they!
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thai airways are even double what some other carriers charge, not direct to lhr but would happily have a stop-over to save 25,000 bahts +
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Experts pinpoint tourism setbacks
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 43433.html

"According to Apichart Sankary, former president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), certain authorities have forced organisations to provide unrealistic data, especially on international arrival numbers, or often provide only optimistic information to public.

He claimed that some information given out by officials was inaccurate. One mistake is counting one-day cross-border trippers as tourists. Moreover, arrivals are not categorised clearly, such as whether they are for business, leisure, long stays and so on, but are counted as one category, "tourist".

For instance, the official number of international arrivals between January and August this year was 15 million, down from 17 million in the same period last year, or a 10-per-cent drop. But ATTA's statistics showed that arrivals during those eight months plunged by 40 per cent year on year.

"Officials are claiming high numbers of tourist just for budgetary reasons," he said."
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

^ .......imagine that.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Authorities who analyse airlines say that THAI's number of executive office staff is more than twice as many as comparable other airlines--- what a big surprise.