Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Re: Tourist Slump Continues

Post by Korkenzieher »

Steve G's article is the first real comment I have seen from tourist sources that makes sense. Of course, tourist numbers may be up over the last few years, but it is basically replacing European package / resort tourists with Asians for whom the existing tourist infrastructure is largely irrelevant. Clearly that has an impact on jobs on the ground. Anyone any figures for that? It has always seemed to me that jobs figures quoted officially for the sector, really only relate to resort and western style hotels.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

theprice01 wrote:Thai airways are even double what some other carriers charge, not direct to lhr but would happily have a stop-over to save 25,000 bahts +
Eva are direct, if you are talking about the LHR-BKK route
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

I have looked on Eva the prices from bkk to paris for May / June and the other way round and the prices are definitely not cheaper at all on the contrary, no direct flight and long stopover
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

pdm3547 wrote:
theprice01 wrote:Thai airways are even double what some other carriers charge, not direct to lhr but would happily have a stop-over to save 25,000 bahts +
Eva are direct, if you are talking about the LHR-BKK route

I'v never fancied Eva, but will compare there prices with BA, looking at going for a month around march
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

joelle wrote:I have looked on Eva the prices from bkk to paris for May / June and the other way round and the prices are definitely not cheaper at all on the contrary, no direct flight and long stopover
You must be looking at something wrong. There are only 3 airlines that fly direct BKK - LHR. EVA use BKK as their stopover enroute to LHR. Definately a direct flight from BKK with no stopovers.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Bristolian, Joelle is flying to Paris, not LHR
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

joelle, I apologise. I must take more care in reading posts :oops: :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

:offtopic: This topic is about tourism in Thailand, not flights to Paris! We have an entire section on flights and airlines.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

OK, back on topic. Although it is being discussed on another thread, the point needs to be raised. The recent murders of British tourists added to other similar events in the past is likely to label Thai as unsafe.
Added to this the 'blame the victims' remarks cannot help.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Korkenzieher wrote:Steve G's article is the first real comment I have seen from tourist sources that makes sense. Of course, tourist numbers may be up over the last few years, but it is basically replacing European package / resort tourists with Asians for whom the existing tourist infrastructure is largely irrelevant. Clearly that has an impact on jobs on the ground. Anyone any figures for that? It has always seemed to me that jobs figures quoted officially for the sector, really only relate to resort and western style hotels.
What I thought a bit odd about that article was that it suggests that the Tourism Authority budget was linked to tourism numbers whereas surely it should be the inverse, in other words the budget needs to be increased if the numbers go down to attract people, not up if they're already coming.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

You've only got to ask around. Condo reception,tuk tuk/mc drivers, corner shop, bars, restaurants all tell me it's worse than last year.
International media is also painting a gloomy picture to would be travellers
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you look at the UK FCO website it gives the following summary regarding visiting Thailand - I guess many people will be put off by this and look elsewhere to spend their vacation.

Summary
Still current at: 18 September 2014
Updated: 15 September 2014
Latest update: Summary – death of 2 British nationals on 15 September on the island of Koh Tao

Over 800,000 British nationals visit Thailand every year. Most visits are trouble-free, but incidents of crime (sometimes violent) can affect visitors. The FCO is aware of the death of 2 British nationals on 15 September on the island of Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand. See Crime

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla on the Thai-Malaysia border. On 10 April 2014 the Australian authorities indicated that extremists may be planning to target westerners in the southern border provinces. See Terrorism

The FCO advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear (Khaoi Pra Viharn in Thai) temple area and the Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple area located on the Thai-Cambodian border due to the presence of troops in the area and the risk of outbreaks of fighting. See Cambodian border

On 22 May the Chief of the Royal Thai Army announced that the military had taken control of government. Martial law is in place and provides an enabling framework for the Royal Thai Army to take action it deems necessary to enforce law and order. Instructions can change rapidly. An information desk is available at Bangkok International Airport.

A curfew was imposed on 22 May. It was lifted in all parts of the country on 13 June.

A number of media outlets have been taken off air and some internet sites have been blocked. It’s illegal to criticise the coup and you should be wary of making political statements in public. You should monitor local news and social media for developments.

Over recent months there have been large-scale planned demonstrations, and spontaneous protests, in Bangkok and other cities. Some of these have turned violent. You should avoid any protests, political gatherings, demonstrations or marches.

Before travelling to Thailand check with your insurance provider that they will continue to cover for claims arising from the current situation. Some travel insurance policies exclude cover following a military coup or the imposition of martial law, and your insurance may be invalid.

The Tourist Authority of Thailand’s website and call centre (1672 - press ‘9’ for English) are able to provide some general advice to tourists in English.

There is a high threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

The majority of road traffic accidents in Thailand involve motorcycles, but accidents involving other vehicles including cars, coaches and mini-buses also occur. See Road travel

By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. See Local laws and customs

Penalties for possession, distribution or manufacture of drugs are severe and can include the death penalty. See Local laws and customs

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If this all continues, plus the new resort vendor rules putting people out of work, thought has to be given to unemployment. They don't want 10's of thousands going back to Issan with no job and no money and the political implications that would cause. There would be an increased crime issue as well. I think Pattaya alone has in excess of 30,000 from Issan in staff jobs with hotels, restaurants, tours etc.

They need to do something pretty quickly to assure this coming high season isn't a failure. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

With the high season approaching in only a couple of months it's difficult to see what can be done in such a short time to make a turnaround.